Scroll to see replies

Superior is slightly larger. I should know, i'm in one :p:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by cambo211

Not entirely true. It means theyre newer. SOME can be bigger, but not all - so can be much much smaller!
Original post by Sheepmaster317
I'm a bit unsure about how to act on this whole accommodation thing. I really want to stay on-campus next year, but obviously it will be tough as there are more and more freshers each year and places are hard to get. I technically have a "disability", atleast according to my UCAS form, and I do still tend to get emails and stuff about having a disability. But if I went to see Cartmel's residence officer, I don't think I could persuade her that I need to stay on-campus because of it, especially considering I'm not great at arguing. I could live off-campus fairly fine, obviously, but maybe if I kicked up a fuss I could get them to keep me here.

Anyone have any thoughts? Not really sure on the best way to approach it :frown:

You don't need to kick up a fuss at all.

Lancaster are really good at allowing people to stay on campus for their 2nd year. As long as you ask to do so in advance then its pretty easy to get a room on campus if you ask early enough (from what I've been told by a load of 2nd years), and if you are an international student or have a disability then they pretty much guarantee you a room on campus if you ask in your first term.
Original post by Absinth
How do they pick the people who want to live on campus for 2nd and 3rd years? I wonder if I should apply for something really unpopular, to increase my chances...

3rd years get priority, so 2nd years will find it harder to get a room (especially after the fiasco this year!). I think its usually pulled out of a hat if there arent enough spaces for those particular rooms.
Original post by Absinth
How do they pick the people who want to live on campus for 2nd and 3rd years? I wonder if I should apply for something really unpopular, to increase my chances...

As mentioned, those going into 3rd year, international students and students with disabilities get priority. If there are more people left over than they have rooms for, it is allocated randomly.

Some colleges seem to have more problems that others with this. I've heard of colleges with 100 people on the waiting list and so forth. My college has managed pretty well whilst I've been here - they usually have enough rooms for those who want them and last year had a waiting list of just 4 people [all of which got a room in the end, I believe]. :smile:
Original post by mackemforever
You don't need to kick up a fuss at all.

Lancaster are really good at allowing people to stay on campus for their 2nd year. As long as you ask to do so in advance then its pretty easy to get a room on campus if you ask early enough (from what I've been told by a load of 2nd years), and if you are an international student or have a disability then they pretty much guarantee you a room on campus if you ask in your first term.

Ah thank you :smile:

I will see the residence officer sometime soon. I have a "disability" but I wouldn't consider it as needing an on-campus room. Still not sure the best way to ask, whether to say "I think I need a room..." or "I need a room", I just hope it works out ok :smile:
Original post by Sheepmaster317
Ah thank you :smile:

I will see the residence officer sometime soon. I have a "disability" but I wouldn't consider it as needing an on-campus room. Still not sure the best way to ask, whether to say "I think I need a room..." or "I need a room", I just hope it works out ok :smile:

Just go and tell them that you would like to stay on campus next year and find out what you need to do. I believe you will need to fill in a couple of forms and they make you pay the deposit early next term, but its not really complicated.
Original post by shpongle
What is the difference between Superior En-suite and Basic En-suite?!

You definitely get a bigger desk in superior.
Reply 1188
Original post by cambo211

I am in superior en-suite too. But mine is slightly bigger compared to my friends' room! So, I was wondering if it is the difference in size for which you pay the extra money
Hey guys is Lonsdale good for accommodation? I didn't get a chance to look at them at the Open Day :/
Original post by Vijay2010
Hey guys is Lonsdale good for accommodation? I didn't get a chance to look at them at the Open Day :/

Yep it's pretty awesome. New flats, all en-suite. Pretty expensive (at least £105 pw i believe) but they're good.

One thing I should point out is that if you like the accommodation in Lonsdale but its too expensive with a 40 week let (from memory Lonsdale don't offer a 36 week let but I may be wrong) then look at Cartmel. The accommodation is the same, but you can take a 36 week let, which in my opinion is worth it. Saves you £400+ over the course of the year.
Original post by mackemforever
One thing I should point out is that if you like the accommodation in Lonsdale but its too expensive with a 40 week let (from memory Lonsdale don't offer a 36 week let but I may be wrong) then look at Cartmel. The accommodation is the same, but you can take a 36 week let, which in my opinion is worth it. Saves you £400+ over the course of the year.

But you have to move out for Easter (or Christmas?). Personally I really wouldn't like to have to take all my stuff out of my room and bring it back 4 weeks later.
Original post by RabbitCFH
But you have to move out for Easter (or Christmas?). Personally I really wouldn't like to have to take all my stuff out of my room and bring it back 4 weeks later.

Well when are the breaks at uni? Is it same as in college (October, Christmas, Spring, Easter then Summer)?

If it is then I would rather get a 42 week let for a room without en-suite (providing shower facilities are decent...are they?).
Well when are the breaks at uni? Is it same as in college (October, Christmas, Spring, Easter then Summer)?

If it is then I would rather get a 42 week let for a room without en-suite (providing shower facilities are decent...are they?).

Christmas break (mid-December - mid-January), Easter break (10 weeks after the start of the second term... cba counting it :P) and then Summer.

4 weeks @ Christmas.
4 weeks @ Easter.
Roughly July/August/September @ Summer.

42 weeks? Which rooms are those? There are rooms with 36 week lets [small amount of ensuite], the vast majority are 40 week, then there are townhouses at 43 weeks and some 52 week stuff for families/postgrads etc.

Standard shower facilities vary depending on the college, but I think most are pretty good.

In Pendle, you are in flats of 8 with two toilets and two showers per flat. They are in individual rooms - as in, not like public cubical toilets/showers at a swimming pool etc.
In Furness, you are in flats of 3-7. For flats of 5 or less, you get one shower and one WC. For the larger flats, you get two. These are going through a major refurb over the summer.
In Bowland, I believe there are some rooms where you share your toilet/shower with far more people and they are slightly older. But, they are cheaper to compensate.
In County, I think their standard rooms were refurbished a while back and have sofas in the communal areas and stuff. I think there is a video of the facilities on the first post of thread. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
4 weeks @ Christmas.
4 weeks @ Easter.
Roughly July/August/September @ Summer.

42 weeks? Which rooms are those? There are rooms with 36 week lets [small amount of ensuite], the vast majority are 40 week, then there are townhouses at 43 weeks and some 52 week stuff for families/postgrads etc.

Standard shower facilities vary depending on the college, but I think most are pretty good.

In Pendle, you are in flats of 8 with two toilets and two showers per flat. They are in individual rooms - as in, not like public cubical toilets/showers at a swimming pool etc.
In Furness, you are in flats of 3-7. For flats of 5 or less, you get one shower and one WC. For the larger flats, you get two. These are going through a major refurb over the summer.
In Bowland, I believe there are some rooms where you share your toilet/shower with far more people and they are slightly older. But, they are cheaper to compensate.
In County, I think their standard rooms were refurbished a while back and have sofas in the communal areas and stuff. I think there is a video of the facilities on the first post of thread. :smile:

A bit off topic, but if I'm relying completely on a Maintenance Loan (£3497) and a Maintenance Grant (£2906) to get me through uni, would I still have enough money for food, books, going out etc. if I got an en-suite?
A bit off topic, but if I'm relying completely on a Maintenance Loan (£3497) and a Maintenance Grant (£2906) to get me through uni, would I still have enough money for food, books, going out etc. if I got an en-suite?

Income: £6403
Rent: Roughly £4080
Leaving: £2323

Yep, I think you would have enough. I have half that left after my rent and still get by [albeit with very careful budgeting]. :smile:
Original post by RabbitCFH

It's easter you need to empty your room out and yeah it is a bit of hassle but my personal opinion is that its worth it to save the money.

Don't forget if you get the full maintenance grant (£2906) you also receive a £1000 bursary from Lancaster every academic year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending