The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
BlueAngel
I dont understand, sorry, whats a soft g????

A hard 'g' is the sound of a 'g' in words such as 'get' or 'give'; a soft 'g' is the sound of a 'g' in a word such as 'adage'.
pikaboo
Posh = leth-arrrrr-gee
Mancunian = leth-a-gee
Southern = leth-errrrr-gee

Take your pick :p:

mancunian. I dont like the r's. But its the gee bit that I dont get and I cant explain it in words :redface:
Reply 22
svidrigailov
That would be the American pronunciation. The Oxford English Dictionary has the 'r' sound silent, in keeping with standard Received Pronunciation.

??? No way do I have an American accent! I speak using the standard recieved pronounciation, as far as I know.

Edit: I wouldn't pronounce the 'r' very strongly.
svidrigailov
a soft 'g' is the sound of a 'g' in a word such as 'adage'.

:eek: never heard of that word. :redface:
Reply 24
okay, it's like the 'g' sound made by the 'j' in 'jeans'.
Reply 25
pikaboo

Not really though, the 'j' in 'jeans' is still quite hard. Quite close though.
Reply 26
kew96158
??? No way do I have an American accent! I speak using the standard recieved pronounciation, as far as I know.

Edit: I wouldn't pronounce the 'r' very strongly.

I didn't say that you have an American accent; I said that that dictionary entry represented the American pronunciation. RP is nonrhotic, if you pronounce your 'r's clearly, you don't have an RP accent. It may be that you think you pronounce your 'r's, when really you make a sort of elongated 'a' sound.
pikaboo

thank you :smile: Yeah I got it now. leth a jee. :smile:
Reply 28
kew96158

The 'j' in jeans is soft; it's exactly the same sound. It's just a linguistic convention that we use 'j' in certain places and 'g' in others.
Reply 29
BlueAngel
:eek: never heard of that word. :redface:

An adage is just a proverb.
Reply 30
kew96158

Pedant! :rolleyes:
Reply 31
svidrigailov
The 'j' in jeans is soft; it's exactly the same sound. It's just a linguistic convention that we use 'j' in certain places and 'g' in others.

Yes, I know. But nevertheless, the sound in 'adage' (to use an earlier example) sounds different to the 'j' in 'jeans'.
Reply 32
kew96158
Yes, I know. But nevertheless, the sound in 'adage' (to use an earlier example) sounds different to the 'j' in 'jeans'.

It shouldn't; perhaps you aren't parsing the sounds correctly. Each should be pronounced as an assibilated palatal, in RP at least. God this is dull.
Reply 33
I say "Leth-ar-gee" - although I do switch between the American and British pronunciations (i.e. "Can-'t" and "Cah-n't") as I speak with a mixture of both.
Reply 35
The g sound is the same as in budgie isn't it?

I'd go for the ur in the middle too.

Didn't realise how difficult it was to describe how to pronouce something!

Good luck with your presentation BlueAngel
BlueAngel
Just practicing my presentation, which is tomorow, :afraid:.

How do you say and pronounce the word LETHARGY? Dont laugh. :redface:

Love BlueAngel xxxx

Letter- gee, I think
Innocentvictim
Letter- gee, I think

So there isn't an h in its sound then?
pronounce it how you want. how much difference is it gonna make! its not as if you get bouts of leth-are-gee every day.

Latest

Trending

Trending