The Student Room Group

I lost all my self discipline and motivation, don’t know how to get it back..

Covid hit my gcse year, meaning the school year ended in March instead of July and we never got a proper send off etc. Then as we all know there were loads of lockdowns where no one had any purpose or responsibilities. I used to go to school from 8am until 5pm everyday and then do more work/activities after that but it all stopped. I also did a lot of theatre on weekends. Even though lockdown was ages ago I just haven’t felt the same since. It’s like the structure of life changed and all I’d ever known was school and it made me kinda freak out cos I realised the world doesn’t revolve around school and I won’t be there forever. I feel like even in the start of 2024 I’m still in that mindset

After a level, I had a long summer then a gap year where I spent so much time sat around at home since I wasn’t being given many shifts. I’m at uni now but can’t even sit for 5 minutes to attempt work, I wake up so late and am too lazy to do anything with my day. I just lost all sense of motivation and never got it back. I just spend my time on my phone or watching tv and don’t know how to get back my old self sinxe everything changed so much. Hobbies I used to do don’t interest me and I’d rather just sit on my bed doing nothing. I realise I don’t have self discipline now that I have the choice of how to spend my time and barely any contact hours at uni. Help! I miss my pre covid self and life
Reply 1
I too have been in that state of lethargy. Feeling lost without purpose.
That’s what your problem is. You don’t have a why driving you. Without something driving you, you might as well be a leaf in the wind.

You may not find your why now or even in the near future, but as of now I would say try setting a goal everyday. It doesn’t matter if it’s small. But no matter what try achieve it. Maybe it could be going on a walk or jog for 10 minutes a day or journelling your emotions for 10 minutes a day on notes or paper. But you need something to work towards and you need to work towards it consistently, not intensely, just consistently.

Slowly, week by week, maybe try progressively increasing that goal and try new things. But for now just try 1 mental health task everyday even if it’s small, don’t miss a day.This will help add structure to your days and believe me over time you’ll feel a lot better. You aren’t supposed to find your why overnight. But for now you could just make your purpose in life to find your purpose in life. Don’t forget, it’s a journey not a sprint.

Covid was bad for all of us but forget about the past as you can’t change it. The future is yet to come, so don’t stress about it. Just take life day by day and aim to be better than the last.

You got this.

Kaizen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending