The Student Room Group

Calling All Hay Fever Sufferers! Tip and Tricks Please!

Hey Guys;

Yep, I’ve got hay fever and have been super lethargic all day since the beginning of last week.

Any tips or tricks you’d recommend to help reduce symptoms? Other than taking anti-histamines of course. Not helping me at work lately either…
Reply 1
um carry loads of tissues everywhere
with me, whenever i hav a sneezy attack i go somewhere rlly cold and hold my breath....works 4 me idk why
Reply 2
Original post by Scienceisgood
Hey Guys;

Yep, I’ve got hay fever and have been super lethargic all day since the beginning of last week.

Any tips or tricks you’d recommend to help reduce symptoms? Other than taking anti-histamines of course. Not helping me at work lately either…

It might be worth trying a steroid nasal spray if anti-histamines aren't working for you. I think you can only fet the nasal spray on pescription so would need to speak to your GP.
I find rubbing a bit of vaseline of your nostrils helpful as it can "block" the pollen
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
It might be worth trying a steroid nasal spray if anti-histamines aren't working for you. I think you can only fet the nasal spray on pescription so would need to speak to your GP.

In short, the tablets stop me sneezing and my runny nose/eyes but don’t do much for the lethargy…
Reply 5
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I find rubbing a bit of vaseline of your nostrils helpful as it can "block" the pollen

PRSOM
Reply 6
I second the vasaline tip it did work for me! more of a weird old wives tale than a tip maybe but I heard eating local honey helps with hay-fever. something about small exposure to the local pollen over time? don't know if it works but it sounds fun :tongue:
Original post by Scienceisgood
Hey Guys;

Antihistamines should be taken a couple of months before hayfever season starts to be most effective. I take mine at night to reduce any possible drowsiness.
Keep furniture dusted.
Keep windows shut.
Change your bedding regularly.
Don't put laundry outside to dry.
Get eye drops.
Get a nasal spray or wash to wash out your nostrils of any trapped pollen.
Stay inside.
Put Vaseline around your nostrils.
Visit your doctor for stronger anti-histamines if your hayfever is getting really bad.
(edited 10 months ago)
hayfever eyedrops for itchy/sore eyes!! (do check if they are suitable with contact lenses before buying if you wear contacts tho)

Quick Reply

Latest