The Student Room Group

Where did you work for work experience whilst at Secondary school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
A week in an architects in the centre of Nottingham. Great location, and I got to go a massive drawing on A1 paper (which the architect said was better than the guy they'd just got rid of could have done), but I was bored out of my mind. :p: Spent most of the day online...:p:, but at least it taught me I didn't want to be an architect, which is when I decided upon doctor. :biggrin:
A week at a catholic primary school, and then a week at another primary school.
Reply 22
Two weeks at Virgin Unite. It was awesome!:biggrin:
Reply 23
Snookercraze
What sort of work did you do at the solicitor's office?

my first day i was thrown in at the deep end becuase my dad new one of the solicitors and i had to go to london on my own to take the bundles to the barrister and i got to sit in court with the barrister.

for the rest of the week i followed up this case, wrote schott schedules for it, reponses to accusations etc.

i worked on afew other cases in family and employment. wrote letters to different parties etc.

it was really good!
A week in a pre-school. It was quite good :smile:
Reply 25
Two weeks at a medical recruitment company... it sounded tedious on paper but I absolutely loved it!! not exactly the typical office environment you would expect- everyone was really nice and messed around quite a lot :p: The work was also challenging and they gave me so much more responsibility than I ever expected- no one thought of me as a work experience student and treated me like anyone else working there :biggrin: The "thank you" dinner on the last day was lovely and unexpected but it made me so sad that I had to leave :frown:
Reply 26
did 2 weeks at a dentist-absolutely loved it (they liked me too)
Offered me a "voluntry" job during the holidays...I really enjoyed it...I mean I worked on my birthday
Barclay's "service point", the call centre for the staff in year 10. It wasn't terrible, I sat and stared at people on different departments throughout the week, did some data input, chatted to the people who worked there, drank lots of coffee...

Now that I am old, my comment would be that I wish I'd done something random (like spend a week as a conservationist or a game keeper) because I will probably just end up in an office when I am old anyway. And the people who worked in shops and then either were paid for it or were offered jobs at the end of it got a good deal too.
Reply 28
I did a week in the offices of a car repair place. Spent most of the time talking to the receptionists

Second week was meant to be in a bank but it was closed because they found out the building was dodgy and almost falling down or something
Reply 29
Snookercraze
What sort of work did you do at the solicitor's office?

my first day i was thrown in at the deep end becuase my dad new one of the solicitors and i had to go to london on my own to take the bundles to the barrister and i got to sit in court with the barrister.

for the rest of the week i followed up this case, wrote schott schedules for it, reponses to accusations etc.

i worked on afew other cases in family and employment. wrote letters to different parties etc.

it was really good!
Reply 30
bet you had a fun week off
3 weeks at an animal sanctuary. Enjoyed it so much, that i went back, and stayed there for 3 years.
Reply 32
1 week at a microscope engineering firm and then the owner of the company said he had a lot of hunting land and the Gamekeeper needed some help so I was a gamekeeper for the 2nd week. That was really fun, riding around through the woods in a landrover with some shotguns, chainsawing stuff and lots of pub lunches.
Got a place at Queen Mary's Hospital with my friend.
Emmsiewoo

it was really good!

Im asking as Im starting a placement tomorrow.

So, there was none of this tea/coffee making work?

Should be interesting... hopefully if I impress, I'll get to stay on.

How long do you think I should work as a placement?
Reply 35
I did two weeks at boots as well

Boring as hell until i fobbed them off by putting an Ok magazine from the break room in my work experience diary thing and just telling them i had to fill it in and could do that if they didn't have anything for me.
Forensic Lab in Bridgwater. Had a CSI phase :P
Reply 37
Snookercraze
Im asking as Im starting a placement tomorrow.

So, there was none of this tea/coffee making work?

Should be interesting... hopefully if I impress, I'll get to stay on.

How long do you think I should work as a placement?

what are you doing your placement as a part of? id try and do it as long as possible!!!

and i defiantley didnt make any tea or coffee :P lol!!!

and therye lucky because i cant make either! :smile:
Emmsiewoo
what are you doing your placement as a part of? id try and do it as long as possible!!!

and i defiantley didnt make any tea or coffee :P lol!!!

and therye lucky because i cant make either! :smile:

Well, Im hoping to study Law from Sep at uni, so I thought this would help. Im working in the Housing and Welfare Department.

Some have said 3-4 weeks is enough... I'll see. But Im only 3 days a weeks.
I did three days at my local police station, got to see most things from custody to being out on emergency calls.
Never had so much fun!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending