The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
The Vietnam War killed more people than Pol Pot ever did.

Vietnam war killed around 3mil, but US didn't do it alone.

Pol Pot is responsible for the death of some 2mil of his own people.
Reply 121
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Its a backwater because the US and co insist on exporting their brand of democracy over there.

Oh, right, I forgot - once upon time Congo was a brilliant empire of science, philosophy and technology.

It's only because US tried to export freedom that this empire collapsed into the stone age.
Reply 122
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Conservative Christianity is hardly a good thing, is it?

Communism isn't exactly a good thing either.
Reply 123
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Claims to stand for. The only real freedom it stands for is the right to screw someone else over.

Immature slogans.
Reply 124
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
The US government obviously has better PR - because I really don't see the moral justification that they had. Well not any that was significantly better than Pol Pots (assuming he had any at all).

US doesn't need an excuse to fight communism, just as it doesn't need an excuse to fight tyranny of any kind. All the US needs is motivation.

Pol Pot's justification was the "greater good".
Reply 125
This line of 'defence' from Pro-Israelis is getting tiresome. I agree that for some (but certainly not all- there are those who are sincere in their care for the other causes they name) it's an attempt to divert attention from their own government's crimes.

No person should have a moral obligation to try and protest against every single injustice that goes on in the world, or support every single charitable cause, such as Gaza, in the world. Would you pick a fight with someone who donates money to Cancer Research UK every month with the line "what about the British Heart Foundation, or Oxfam, or Barnados?!"?
This line from the anti-Israel crowd is as completely dishonest as the "they always use the anti-semitism card to shut down legitimate debate"

If there's one thing that the anti-Israel lot are good at, it is creating straw men to knock down and hide behind.

Let's have ourselves a little parable:

There are three men walking down a street together, called Tom, Dick and Harry. They're chatting and then suddenly Dick grabs Tom's wallet and legs it. In the confusion, Harry grabs some young girl from the street, rapes her and kills her. The police turn up and Dick, leaving Harry free. The papers report Dick's crime but ignore Harry's. The judge tries and sentences Dick, but never mentions Harry. The people talk of the crimes of Dick, but never of Harry.

Now, every single person on the entire face of this planet is aware that both Dick and Harry committed crimes. But we're all also aware that Harry's crime is more severe than Dick's. Those of us who care about law and order take a look at this situation and are simply shocked, amazed and appalled that Harry was let free. His crimes are clearly far worse. Why do people ignore his crimes?

So, one of Dick's friends hears this story and he cannot understand why Harry was let off? It seems unfair that Dick was arrested and tried but not Harry. So, he thinks, there must be something else going on here. Logic would tell us, seemingly, that Harry ought to be the priority and yet Dick was the one people spent their time and energy on. Why? Has Dick got "previous"? Is Tom special? Do the townsfolk have it in for Dick?

And there you have it. It's not a question of trying to shut down debate (well, it might be for some), it's a question of trying to figure out why the world focuses on Israel when logic compels us to think that the greater instances of human suffering on this planet ought to gain the most focus. So, those of us who care about rationality (even if they care nothing for human suffering) seek to find the reasons why the clearly lesser crime is the one people care about more.

Ascient asks us to consider whether we would pick a fight with someone giving money to one charity over another and then cites charities that are of approximately equal worth. But we all know that if he saw someone give a donation of £10,000 to the "Save the Eton Library Fund" and then give a fiver to some passing homeless person desperate for food, he couldn't help but wonder what was going on? He'd try to figure out why the Eton Library is so important, or what this homeless guy did to deserve that treatment. His natural reaction would be to think that something wrong is going on and then seek the reasons why one cause was favoured over an apparently far more important cause.

And so there you have it, ladies and gentlemen, the question is simple. What are the reasons that explain why the world's focus is on the apparently lesser crimes of Israel and not on the more serious crimes around the world? Is that a method for shutting down debate? No, of course not. It's a valid question. And moreover, I put it to you all, that those who refuse to engage with the question do so out of a fear that they cannot provide reasonable answers. For if they cannot explain why we all focus more on the lesser crimes they fear that we might do exactly what they don't want - spend our time focusing on the bigger crimes and sorting them out first.

For one thing we can all agree on - in a world of limited resources where we're forced to trade one cause against another, logic dictates that we focus on the biggest crimes first.
Reply 127
Ascient
This line of 'defence' from Pro-Israelis is getting tiresome. I agree that for some (but certainly not all- there are those who are sincere in their care for the other causes they name) it's an attempt to divert attention from their own government's crimes.

No person should have a moral obligation to try and protest against every single injustice that goes on in the world, or support every single charitable cause, such as Gaza, in the world. Would you pick a fight with someone who donates money to Cancer Research UK every month with the line "what about the British Heart Foundation, or Oxfam, or Barnados?!"?

I could just as easily claim that what you write here is an attempt to divert the attention from the fact that many of Israel's criticizers do it because of some political agenda or other motives, rather then care for human suffering.

My question is a legitimate one, so you either address it or not.

Whenever this subject comes up we get the following answer:

"Israel is held to higher standards".

Reply: do those who call to destroy it really hold it to such high standards?
If so - why replace it with a government which they hold to much lower standard? (Hamas).

Take for example the mass demonstrations in the Arab and Muslim world.
Many of these people live in countries who have very little regard for their own human rights, yet they still call for Israel's destruction.

Sure enough - they live under dictatorships and are afraid of protesting against their own leadership. But that shows you how these people are being used by their own governments - as a political tool.

The underlying message here is that the Palestinian issue is being used as a political tool by some factors which are hostile to Israel out of ideology or prejudice rather then out of concern for human rights, and that these factors prolong the suffering of the Palestinians with their very own actions.
borismor
While some people here indulged in "Israel - bashing", this happened:

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2009/02/16/un-send-more-troops-dr-congo-1

But hey - I guess as long as no Muslims get hurt...

Note that in a similar period to that of the operation in Gaza around 800 civilians got killed - No F16 involved.

And some people claim Israel wasn't careful enough in Gaza...

Typical response...

You know, when people are in a debate about a conflict in Israel, it is possible for them to focus their arguments for/against Israel instead of discussing the conflict in Congo, yet still care about it :rolleyes: (that goes for the many people who were on here supporting Israel, but not commenting on the Congo as well).
loafer
I criticise many countries, but usually
1. nobody is outrageous enough on here to defend the people i attack so there is no point.
2. the country is some insignificant backwater- you expect nothing more of people essentially living in the stone age.

this is not the case with israel-palestine.

OH, but i am criticising ISRAEL so i MUST be anti-semitic.
get a grip :rolleyes:

Did i SAY anti-semitic? Was in insinuating anti-semitic? NO!

You are however a racist. Holding white people to higher standards than black people, because 'they don't know any better'. Your views stink of racism.

OOI, what other countries have you condemned?
loafer
third world: two tribes fight and massacre each other. really terrible and everything. but you kinda expect them to, because thats what we used to do - so one shouldnt be surprised when they do it. despite it being wrong and everything. they dont have the UDHR or the geneva convention.
first world: one country invades another because a handful of 'innocent' civilians were killed. so they kill hundreds upon hundreds of 'innocent' people from the other country. very bad, i would say relatively worse. you dont expect a civilised country to do anything like that, you expect them to value human life and make a real effort - to do whatever it takes - to avoid innocent deaths. what with the laws of war and all the conventions and all that we have nowadays. so i think that i am justified in being horrified at a 'civilised' nation doing horrendous things, 'they should know better etc'

I can see you know very little about the world. We do not refer to the first, second and third worlds any more - we talked about developped and developing countries.

Your assessments however, are incorrect. We should expect high standards from everyone, anything less is pretty much racism. Saying that 'Africans don't know any better' is quite an assertion and is also not very true - have you ever been to Africa (and I'm not talking about on Safari)?

Your assessment of the 'first world':
* Every country has the duty to protext their citizens as their first priority.
* If that country is attacked, it has the right to defend itself.
* That country has a duty to ensure (as far as possible) that if it's military targets are within civillian populations that they only hit when the 'value' of their military target is greater than the potential loss of human life (i.e. the response is proportionate).
* A rocketeer, rocket and rocket-launcher that has the potential to maim or kill Israelis IS a valuable and legitimate military target that Israel has a DUTY to destroy (to ensure the safety of their citizens).
* If the beligerent (in Israel's case Hamas) choose to fire rockets (that kill and maim israeli civillians) from near medical centres, schools, places of worship, markets and town squares then it is THEY who are responsible for any of the damage that ensues.

Of course you almost undoubtedly hold Hamas to lower standards than Israel (because Israelis are 'white' and Hamas are 'brown' and therefore the whites should know better than the browns, eh?) but the facts still stand.
Reply 131
danielf90
Did i SAY anti-semitic? Was in insinuating anti-semitic? NO!

You are however a racist. Holding white people to higher standards than black people, because 'they don't know any better'. Your views stink of racism.

OOI, what other countries have you condemned?

yes you were, as you have before.

uhm, i think it is you with funny attitudes to race.
i mention 'less developed' and you read: 'black'.
i wrote civilised and you read: 'white'

i think to everyone but yourself that is pretty condemning.

EDIT: oh but you are trying the character assasination again, trying to make me look like a racist nutter to everyone else so they will ignore me, clever :rolleyes: but not as clever as the point of this thread!
Reply 132
danielf90
I can see you know very little about the world. We do not refer to the first, second and third worlds any more - we talked about developped and developing countries.

Your assessments however, are incorrect. We should expect high standards from everyone, anything less is pretty much racism. Saying that 'Africans don't know any better' is quite an assertion and is also not very true - have you ever been to Africa (and I'm not talking about on Safari)?

Your assessment of the 'first world':
* Every country has the duty to protext their citizens as their first priority.
* If that country is attacked, it has the right to defend itself.
* That country has a duty to ensure (as far as possible) that if it's military targets are within civillian populations that they only hit when the 'value' of their military target is greater than the potential loss of human life (i.e. the response is proportionate).
* A rocketeer, rocket and rocket-launcher that has the potential to maim or kill Israelis IS a valuable and legitimate military target that Israel has a DUTY to destroy (to ensure the safety of their citizens).
* If the beligerent (in Israel's case Hamas) choose to fire rockets (that kill and maim israeli civillians) from near medical centres, schools, places of worship, markets and town squares then it is THEY who are responsible for any of the damage that ensues.

Of course you almost undoubtedly hold Hamas to lower standards than Israel (because Israelis are 'white' and Hamas are 'brown' and therefore the whites should know better than the browns, eh?) but the facts still stand.

no, i never said africans. i have used the words 'third world/insignificant/uncivilised' which you have interpreted as 'africans', which is not what i meant. it sounds like you have the race issue, not me.

it is you making the colour distinctions, which seem to be the basis of your arguments.

hamas is a 'terrorist' organisation.
i do not expect terrorists to act respectfully and to honour innocent life.

israel is supposed to be a 'civilised' country with civilised people.
i expect israel to to everything they can to prevent civilian deaths. they do not, as shown by the thousands of dead over the years, including western civilian observers who 'got in the way'.

you are just depserately searching for something to argue against.
loafer
no, i never said africans. i have used the words 'third world/insignificant/uncivilised' which you have interpreted as 'africans', which is not what i meant. it sounds like you have the race issue, not me.

it is you making the colour distinctions, which seem to be the basis of your arguments.

hamas is a 'terrorist' organisation.
i do not expect terrorists to act respectfully and to honour innocent life.

israel is supposed to be a 'civilised' country with civilised people.
i expect israel to to everything they can to prevent civilian deaths. they do not, as shown by the thousands of dead over the years, including western civilian observers who 'got in the way'.

you are just depserately searching for something to argue against.

Firstly, I call anti-semitism where I find it and I find it when I am offended (asajew) by comments made on here. I do not call anti-semitism to stifle debate (because I believe that debate is very important, hence why i debate here) and i do not call stupidity or racism unless I actually believe that this is the case (and this is one of those cases; if not racism then stupidity).

My point still stands that just because country X is less developped does not make massacre, murder and rape any less wrong.

Do you think (based on your asusmptions) that if Israel declared themselves a terrorist organisation, they'd get LESS condemnation because then people wouldn't hold them to higher standards?!

If you actually expect any country/state/entity to care more about the citizens of ANOTHER country than about their own then you may as well be living on Mars. As i said:

Israel's first duty is towards the safety of its OWN citizens. Please try to refute my *'d points above. PLEASE, becuase i can only see logic in it - please persuade me otherwise.
[
borismor
This is not the question. Rather, the question is:

"Why do concentrate only on this crisis?"

Actually, I think the question is, "Why does the mainstream media give a massively disproportionate amount of coverage to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict on a consistent basis, despite many more people dying in other conflicts around the world."

The fact of the mainstream media's attention has to be acknowledged before criticising people who get their news from that same media.
Reply 135
UniOfLife
And so there you have it, ladies and gentlemen, the question is simple. What are the reasons that explain why the world's focus is on the apparently lesser crimes of Israel and not on the more serious crimes around the world? Is that a method for shutting down debate? No, of course not. It's a valid question. And moreover, I put it to you all, that those who refuse to engage with the question do so out of a fear that they cannot provide reasonable answers. For if they cannot explain why we all focus more on the lesser crimes they fear that we might do exactly what they don't want - spend our time focusing on the bigger crimes and sorting them out first.

For one thing we can all agree on - in a world of limited resources where we're forced to trade one cause against another, logic dictates that we focus on the biggest crimes first.
Hello UoL. I don't normally post in threads about Israel but I will weigh in here, hoping to provide a satisfactory answer to your "valid question". While many people bring lots of ideological/racial/religious baggage to the discussion of Israeli military actions, and you are right to question their motives, those (including myself) without that baggage also have reasons to disproportionately focus on Israeli crimes, compared to other human rights abuse (HRA) that is occurring around the world.

Before I give the reasons, I think it is important to point out a flaw in your assessment of how we should prioritize human causes. We should prioritize those causes which give most gain per unit resource. Some gross HRA would require exceptional expenditure to resolve satisfactorily. Some small CaH require less expenditure, and are considered resolvable with fewer resources. It is not necessarily the case that the expenditure required is proportional to the "good" done. We should focus on those causes that give the most good for each unit of resource, as then more overall good is done with a finite quantity of resources.

With that out the way, let us look at the reasons behind disproportionate focus on Israeli crimes:

Firstly, Israel is perceived as being more susceptible to international pressure than Congo rebels or others involved in HRA. Israel cares more about its international involvement and reputation than organizations that are, effectively, little more than butchers with AK47's riding around in jeeps. To prevent some HRA in Africa would, perhaps, require large-scale military intervention. At the maximum, it would require the immense task of constructing adequate power structures for the country. That is an extremely expensive task, both in financial and human terms. On the other hand, there is a belief that HRA by Israel can be stopped, or at least stemmed, by diplomatic engagement and peaceful protests/boycotts. This is cheap, relative to the work required for other HRA. There is hope that we can prevent HRA by Israel at less cost than more serious HRA by other countries.

Secondly, Israel is one of the largest receivers of military aid from the US. Therefore in the US there is a sense of responsibility. A HRA that has been committed with your (government's) support is perceived as being more of a responsibility than a HRA that is not so closely linked to you. The US's sense of responsibility creates interest in the part of the US's Western "allies" over how our (i.e. the West) aid is being used. Morally, you may still argue that HRA that we are partially responsible for should not be given more priority than those we have no perceived responsibility for, but it does explain the interest in the events.

I believe these reasons give a motive behind disproportionate focus. That is not to say that they justify the disproportionate focus being given, but they justify a disproportionate focus.

K.
Kolya
Hello UoL. I don't normally post in threads about Israel but I will weigh in here, hoping to provide a satisfactory answer to your "valid question". While many people bring lots of ideological/racial/religious baggage to the discussion of Israeli military actions, and you are right to question their motives, those (including myself) without that baggage also have reasons to disproportionately focus on Israeli crimes, compared to other human rights abuse (HRA) that is occurring around the world.

Before I give the reasons, I think it is important to point out a flaw in your assessment of how we should prioritize human causes. We should prioritize those causes which give most gain per unit resource. Some gross HRA would require exceptional expenditure to resolve satisfactorily. Some small CaH require less expenditure, and are considered resolvable with fewer resources. It is not necessarily the case that the expenditure required is proportional to the "good" done. We should focus on those causes that give the most good for each unit of resource, as then more overall good is done with a finite quantity of resources.

With that out the way, let us look at the reasons behind disproportionate focus on Israeli crimes:

Firstly, Israel is perceived as being more susceptible to international pressure than Congo rebels or others involved in HRA. Israel cares more about its international involvement and reputation than organizations that are, effectively, little more than butchers with AK47's riding around in jeeps. To prevent some HRA in Africa would, perhaps, require large-scale military intervention. At the maximum, it would require the immense task of constructing adequate power structures for the country. That is an extremely expensive task, both in financial and human terms. On the other hand, there is a belief that HRA by Israel can be stopped, or at least stemmed, by diplomatic engagement and peaceful protests/boycotts. This is cheap, relative to the work required for other HRA. There is hope that we can prevent HRA by Israel at less cost than more serious HRA by other countries.

Secondly, Israel is one of the largest receivers of military aid from the US. Therefore in the US there is a sense of responsibility. A HRA that has been committed with your (government's) support is perceived as being more of a responsibility than a HRA that is not so closely linked to you. The US's sense of responsibility creates interest in the part of the US's Western "allies" over how our (i.e. the West) aid is being used. Morally, you may still argue that HRA that we are partially responsible for should not be given more priority than those we have no perceived responsibility for, but it does explain the interest in the events.

I believe these reasons give a motive behind disproportionate focus. That is not to say that they justify the disproportionate focus being given, but they justify a disproportionate focus.

K.

Hi Kolya,

Your reasons are both valid answers to the valid question, but I don't think they are correct. They would be reasons for disproportionate focus, but I think that for the majority of the anti-Israel brigade they cannot be the reason.

For a start, we never hear these arguments put forward. I've read plenty of anti-Israel articles and don't recall ever seeing anything that runs like "yes, Israeli crimes are lesser but Israel cares about human rights abuses and so we can really make a difference there". In fact, the opposite is true. The anti-Israel debate is dominated by desperate attempts to portray Israel as the world's worst offender and as a country that doesn't care about crimes and gets away with them. These things run completely counter to your first justification.

And likewise the second one. We do not hear people saying that the reason they condemn Israel is because it is a Western country. In fact, the only article I can recall that ever made this point was a generally pro-Israel one that was urging Israel to pay even more careful attention. This is the position one would take if our concern was one of a friend. The position taken by most anti-Israeli types is that Israel is the enemy and not Western at all (except when claiming that it is a Western Imperialist entity). Furthermore, the argument is weak in itself since our aid gives us far more control of other countries with worse abuses than it does of Israel. And finally, the only occasions when Israel's aid is mentioned is when followed by claims that Zionists control the US/UK/EU/World.

So, while I appreciate that these are valid reasons and could be the reason for some people, I don't think they can be the reasons for the vast majority.

As an afterthought, it is obvious that if either of these were the reasons, there is no way any anti-Israel person could stand together with a worse human rights abuser (ie Islamists) in their condemnation.
Reply 137
CrazyDancingElf
[

Actually, I think the question is, "Why does the mainstream media give a massively disproportionate amount of coverage to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict on a consistent basis, despite many more people dying in other conflicts around the world."

The fact of the mainstream media's attention has to be acknowledged before criticising people who get their news from that same media.

Well - there's a very popular theory (especialy here in TSR) that says
the the media is controlled by Zionists...
Reply 138
OP has to compare Islam with his views
Reply 139
As we speak, Hamas is executing people in Gaza which he suspects of being Israel's
collaborators.

According to Hamas's spokesman, Muhamed Nachal, a man has been
sentenced today to death by a firing squad. He did not give details about the man's name
or about weather or not a trial took place or when the sentenced will be carried.

According to Palestinian law, the president (Abbas) has to personally sign a warrant
in order to execute someone.

Don't say you didn't know.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1053825.html

Latest

Trending

Trending