The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
AS further maths is straightforward to get a good grade in. FP1 is the only module which could be classed as difficult and that is just like C1/2 except for the original concepts are harder to get your head around. The papers are all the same with different numbers put in. FP2 on the other hand is another kettle of fish(especially if you're doing MEI as the new chief examiner is a right SoB).

If you can cope with C1-4 and don't mind putting in a bit of extra work to get your head around the concepts involved you'll be absolutely fine.
Reply 21
clairey2009
D1 is more like puzzles than maths, but its not straightforward, you just need to be quite logical. it's the kind of thing that becomes very important for computer programming stuff

e.g. how to work out the shortest route from one point to another

Although it seems challenging, is it more interesting than the other modules that your doing/have done?
AG27
Although it seems challenging, is it more interesting than the other modules that your doing/have done?

i thought so personally, but a lot of people will dispute that. one girl in my FM class said "i just can't make decisions!!!!"

but i think it's interesting, it's a bit different to the other modules and the exam isn't as boring
Lehane
It depends what modules you take. FP1 is no harder than C4, couldn't tell you about FP2.

The new Edexcel FP1 is not really harder than C2 :biggrin:
Reply 24
JoMo1
AS further maths is straightforward to get a good grade in. FP1 is the only module which could be classed as difficult and that is just like C1/2 except for the original concepts are harder to get your head around. The papers are all the same with different numbers put in. FP2 on the other hand is another kettle of fish(especially if you're doing MEI as the new chief examiner is a right SoB).

If you can cope with C1-4 and don't mind putting in a bit of extra work to get your head around the concepts involved you'll be absolutely fine.

So are you saying that FP1 would be fine as long as I practice various questions to get used to the thinking involved (sort of like with logarithms in C2)?
I'm doing D1 (did the exam in January), FP1 and NM. Is no-one else doing NM?
Reply 26
To do M1/M2 would I require any knowledge from Physics or require a liking to Science, because I'm not neccesarily too keen on Sciences (I haven't taken any for A Level, although I did somehow get 2 A*s for GCSE Science)?
Number6
Whatever you do, don't do D1.

This.

D1 was the bane of my life.
Reply 28
AG27
So are you saying that FP1 would be fine as long as I practice various questions to get used to the thinking involved (sort of like with logarithms in C2)?

Yep, the actual FP1 papers are very very easy. There are basically no traps and no crazy questions. You can very easily learn your way through it. The concepts involved are more complicated (complex numbers for example, God I'm witty!) but if you can do 1 paper you can do any paper.
AG27
Whats Decision Maths about?

All you need to know is that it's disgustingly horrible.
whats NM?
i wouldn't say D1 is bad and disgustingly horrible, just ridiculously looooooooong. minimum spanning trees and all that. so loooooooooooong
Prokaryotic_crap
whats NM?

Numerical Methods
Reply 33
Funny that so many people seem to hate D1. If you try FP2/3 you'll realise that D1 is practically like heaven.
Reply 34
Dynasty
Funny that so many people seem to hate D1. If you try FP2/3 you'll realise that D1 is practically like heaven.

yeah, but at least FP2/3 are interesting, D1 just makes you want to kill yourself in boredom.
Dynasty

c'est la vie my friend, if you find something hard, then do something harder, the initial thing is going to seem easier. that doesn't make it easy!!

its all relative
John Locke
Numerical Methods

yh, that was is FP1 innit, newton-raphson.

in uni, so far we have covered bisection method, newton-raphson, secant and fixed point irrative method. i know the latter is in c3 but don't know if the others are in FP2 and 3 because i haven't done those modules but they probably cover them because 1st yr uni maths is basically a quick recap of FM.
incredible!!
If you are on edexcel Fmaths As is much easier than A2 maths now. Just pick M1+2 and S1+2 as your applications. M3 (havent done S3 or Ds so cant comment), imo is harder than the A level maths.
Reply 39
S2 is ridiculously short (I've just completed it in 6 lessons...), plus S2 is basically doing different things to binomial and poisson distributions, so once you understand them that's 70% of the course!

Latest