The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow- Law on its own...or Law with French Language?

Hi everyone.

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on which route to take.

One part of me says "You'll have enough to do with just Law", the other is saying "I really want to continue with French!"

If you have applied for the same course(s), are studying the above course(s) or have any advice for me whatsoever it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!
Is it a professionally recognised LLB - as in recognised by the Law Society?
That would affect how quickly you become a solicitor, if you choose that path.

Personally, I would go for the French as well. I think some variation is great but also I enjoy French. If you also decide it is too much stress, you can opt out of the program and resume the straight law program.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi, I have a friend in first year at Glasgow Uni just now doing Law LLB with French and she seems to be really enjoying it. If you have the opportunity to do it, I would. It gives you a little bit of variety from just continual Law lectures, and if you don't like it or find it's too much stress you can always drop the French part after the first semester I believe. I was considering studying Law at one point, and was told that there is currently a problem that there are such huge numbers of Law graduates, because it has become such a popular course, that it is harder to find placements/jobs, so if you have that language element it will make you stand out that bit more!
Reply 3
Rhona
Hi, I have a friend in first year at Glasgow Uni just now doing Law LLB with French and she seems to be really enjoying it. If you have the opportunity to do it, I would. It gives you a little bit of variety from just continual Law lectures, and if you don't like it or find it's too much stress you can always drop the French part after the first semester I believe. I was considering studying Law at one point, and was told that there is currently a problem that there are such huge numbers of Law graduates, because it has become such a popular course, that it is harder to find placements/jobs, so if you have that language element it will make you stand out that bit more!

I wouldn't choose to do law with French for the employablility aspect. I was considering doing law with English Lit for a while, and asked around a few lawyers, and some said that its probably better just to do law, as they would just view law with something else as you've taken fewer law subjects. Having said that, I'm sure plenty of lawyers would think its a good thing having variety so don't let it discourage you from doing it, but I wouldn't do it on the basis it would help you find a job, just make your decision on whether you would genuinely enjoy doing French.
Reply 4
Hi! I'm in 1st year just now for Law and, honestly, I don't think it makes much of a difference if you take a 2nd subject like French or not.

You probably know this anyway but... You have to take 120 credits worth of courses each year. In first year, you have to take Property and Obligations (30 credits), Sources of Scots Law (40 credits) and Family Law (10 credits).

That leaves you with 40 credits spare to pick either 2 more law subjects (most people pick Criminal Law, and then Roman Law or Forensic Med.), or to take a subject like French which is 40 credits in itself.

Day to day choosing French won't make much difference, since the mandatory subjects take up most of everyone's time anyway. The only difference is that you won't have as wide a choice of Law subjects because there are certain courses you have to take to be eligible for the diploma. You will do Criminal Law in 3rd year when most have done it in 1st - but by that time you'll probably find the course easier than if you did it in first year.

If you like French, I'd say do it. I don't think it will harm your employment prospects and you can always drop it at the end of first year, or even early in the 1st semester if you really don't like it.

Hope this has helped!

Latest

Trending

Trending