The Student Room Group

which degree is more employable?

Which is more employable, history with french or french and spanish? I’m really struggling to decide and wish I could do all 3 but everyone keeps telling me I will be unemployed. I don’t want to be a teacher and am interested in civil service or maybe a law conversion so which degree would be better.
Basically the same assuming from similar unis. Employability comes from the applicant, not their degree. The degree is a tick box for employers, what they want to see is how the applicant made themselves employable by getting relevant internships, work experience, developing transferable skills by taking on leadership roles in societies and clubs and so on, and more than anything just how well they have prepared to do well in assessment centre exercises and psychometric tests.

Life isn't school. The subjects you studied are overwhelmingly unimportant in all aspects of life post-university. Research has even found that both STEM and non-STEM grads have equivalent career outcomes in the long run (within 10 years of graduation).

Literally not something that should be a factor in your decision making here. Going to a good uni for your subjects and choosing something you have a genuine intellectual interest in and motivation for, and making a concerted effort to make yourself more employable along the way is what you need to be doing.
Reply 2
Could you look for language courses with lots of history modules - so you study history in the language?
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Basically the same assuming from similar unis. Employability comes from the applicant, not their degree. The degree is a tick box for employers, what they want to see is how the applicant made themselves employable by getting relevant internships, work experience, developing transferable skills by taking on leadership roles in societies and clubs and so on, and more than anything just how well they have prepared to do well in assessment centre exercises and psychometric tests.

Life isn't school. The subjects you studied are overwhelmingly unimportant in all aspects of life post-university. Research has even found that both STEM and non-STEM grads have equivalent career outcomes in the long run (within 10 years of graduation).

Literally not something that should be a factor in your decision making here. Going to a good uni for your subjects and choosing something you have a genuine intellectual interest in and motivation for, and making a concerted effort to make yourself more employable along the way is what you need to be doing.

thank you very helpful
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Could you look for language courses with lots of history modules - so you study history in the language?

that is a good idea i didn’t think about that!!
Original post by sophia_456
Which is more employable, history with french or french and spanish? I’m really struggling to decide and wish I could do all 3 but everyone keeps telling me I will be unemployed. I don’t want to be a teacher and am interested in civil service or maybe a law conversion so which degree would be better.

Hi @sophia_456

In terms of doing a law conversion and then going on to qualify as a lawyer, either are equally as employable. Therefore, I would do the one that you would prefer (even if that is a tough decision!) and go from there 🙂

Good luck!

Sophie
Original post by sophia_456
Hi there

I understand that choosing a degree can be quite difficult, as it is a n important decision.
However, I think you do not have to choose a degree based off employability alone. All those degree choices are good options, and can definitely enhance your application for jobs.

I would echo the comments above, a degree on its own will not mean you definitely will or will not get a job. Employers do not only look at education, but also any experiences (work related or extra-curriculars) that you have participated in. With the right experience, it is possible to get into a career that you like.

I would recommend doing some research into what career paths you would like to pursue, and the requirements that are needed. If you are interested in a degree in law, you may be able to do a GDL conversion course. (I think if you are interested in becoming a solicitor, you can take the SQE courses instead). Once you have determined what career you are interested in, it could help direct your search for work opportunities and help to build a strong portfolio.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending