The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Penglais hill

Is it really that huge? Havent been to aber as yet but just put seafront residences as my first choice for accommodation.... good idea? lol some people think its huge and others not so bad? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's not ridiculous, but it's not tiny. It seems massive the first couple of times your walk up it (i remember walking up it on the first night there and being dead by the top) but you get used to it very quick
Takes me about 15minutes to walk up it from Brynderw (the train station, basically), and if you're lazy (which i am) there are several buses that go from the bus station to uni, so you could just get one of them, a year bus pass is only about £30, so it's well worth it as you then get free buses within aber, so up to uni, to morissons etc.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Yeah took about 15-20mins from our house in town last year, although might take you another 5mins or so to get from the seafront to the bottom of the hill... also you will usually arrive at your lecture out of breath unless you leave a bit earlier, which I failed to do every single day last year..

I walked up most times, only occassionally drove when I had a library book to take back the same day or something.
Reply 3
Olyy
It's not ridiculous, but it's not tiny. It seems massive the first couple of times your walk up it (i remember walking up it on the first night there and being dead by the top) but you get used to it very quick
Takes me about 15minutes to walk up it from Brynderw (the train station, basically), and if you're lazy (which i am) there are several buses that go from the bus station to uni, so you could just get one of them, a year bus pass is only about £30, so it's well worth it as you then get free buses within aber, so up to uni, to morissons etc.

Where you going to?!

It takes me about 10mins to get onto campus / physics building / business building and about 15 to get to Hugh Owen - that's from the Mill though :p:
I'm not at Aber, but I stayed there a lot with a friend who lived in PJM

Walking down it is great, and you're to look out for the Penglais dog! It's legendary

But I'd recommend getting the bus when it's raining or otherwise not nice, or you just start swearing straight away and get in a mood :tongue:
Reply 5
Somebody
Where you going to?!

It takes me about 10mins to get onto campus / physics building / business building and about 15 to get to Hugh Owen - that's from the Mill though :p:

Took me 14minutes exactly to get from my room to biology main the other week
My excuse: I'm lazy
Reply 6
Olyy
Took me 14minutes exactly to get from my room to biology main the other week
My excuse: I'm lazy

Oooo, nice :smile:

To be fair - I walk very fast - takes most people nearer 20 / 25 to walk the same distance :p:
walking all the way up to hugh owen for a monday 9am lecture was not fun last term! but i could do it in well under 20 mins i think, always felt like death though!

can never decide if going up through campus with all the steps is better than walking alll the way up the hill.

Penglais hill is far nicer than cardiac hill and primrose hill though!
It takes some getting used to but it's not too bad. Was fun trying to get down it when it snowed really heavily a few years ago lol.
Reply 9
Cardiac hill is ridiculous!
Helps to work off a hangover if you walk up it though!
Reply 11
BurnOutOrFadeAway
can never decide if going up through campus with all the steps is better than walking alll the way up the hill.

Me neither.

I tend to go up the road though, simply because I already have the momentum going and stairs kill me! :p:
Reply 12
steeleee
Is it really that huge? Havent been to aber as yet but just put seafront residences as my first choice for accommodation.... good idea? lol some people think its huge and others not so bad? :s-smilie:

It isn't that bad. I lived in Alexandra Halls last year, so the furthest point away you can be in my opinion. Took me a while to get used to the hill, but once you do it's fine. The bus annoyed me, I hated waiting for buses and didn't want to be late for lectures. I often used to beat the bus up to campus anyway, because it takes so long going around town. The walk down is lovely!
lizk123
It isn't that bad. I lived in Alexandra Halls last year, so the furthest point away you can be in my opinion. Took me a while to get used to the hill, but once you do it's fine. The bus annoyed me, I hated waiting for buses and didn't want to be late for lectures. I often used to beat the bus up to campus anyway, because it takes so long going around town. The walk down is lovely!

Same, it got to the stage where unless I was going to Morrisons i would only catch the bus up the hill if it was there when I walked past it. Most of the time I would beat it. On good days it would only take 10mins to walk to Geography anyway so the bus was no real advantage
Reply 14
im starting this sept, i'll be living in cwrt mawr, would i have to use the hill? could i walk to hugh owen? and how long would it take me( i walk lazily too)

p/s: i have a problem with directions so i cant read a map :s
Reply 15
Cwrt Mawr is on campus, as is the Hugh Owen building, so you'll only use the hill when you go into town. Which will be more often than you think, considering the conspicuous lack of pubs at the top of Penglais Hill.

As for the length of the walk, I couldn't say. I found it took between ten and twenty minutes to get to The Fountain from PJM (The Fountain's far away, over the other side of Trefechan Bridge, about five minutes away from Rummers).
Reply 16
I think you'll spend 20 minutes from Cwrt Mawr to the town if you're a slow walker, as you claim.

I guess that it would, depending on which Cwrt Mawr block you're in, take three minutes to Hugh Owen.
Reply 17
oh great i can do 3 mins. lol. anyway i dont drink, alcohol tastes to strong for my appreciation. i'll probably go to town to get chocolates, which is more likely more often. LOL
Reply 18
I didn't drink much before I came to Aber. Now I can't stand being away from a pub for too long :wink:

I was corrupted. I want to get revenge on some fresher I've never met before by corrupting him/her :smile:
Reply 19
well, since u did justify yourself, i will allow myself to be corrupted. LOL

Quick Reply

Latest