The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Because God God said so?
Reply 2
I believe that either:

a) Jesus didn't exist at all

or

b) Jesus was an ordinary man, and someone based their stories on him.

Most likely the first, though.
Reply 3
There's a lot of historical evidence - the bible, the apocrypha and other writings from the time. Jesus may or may not have been the 'son of god' but he almost certainly existed.
Reply 4
There is a lot of evidence from different historians of a 'messiah' type person touring around at about the time that Jesus was supposed to exist. I think its fairly certain that the character did exist, after all it would be rather random to just completely make that up, it wasn't invented as a scam :biggrin:. Its whether he was really the son of god which is in question.
I think Jesus probably existed but whether he was the son of God and magic is just a leap too far in the assumptions arena.

He might have been schizophrenic or something and told people he was the messiah and since it went undiagnosed in those days everyone just believed him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

Namely because he has been mentioned by ancient writers. His existence as a man is different from his supposed holy existence, and certainly doesn't help prove anything for Christians. In fact its easier to see how a religion could start off because of a figure like him - i.e. deeds that become mythic and more impressive as they travel, ancient Chinese whispers.
daisyc
I don't understand it, is there actual proof?
I'm sure there have been plenty of people called Jesus and proof for their lives, but why do they think this is Jesus Jesus? :eek3:

You can't create a massive movement of people towards a new religion if you don't have a leader, now can you?

There's really no reason not to believe that Jesus actually existed. Why wouldn't you?
Reply 8
Delta Usafa
You can't create a massive movement of people towards a new religion if you don't have a leader, now can you?

There's really no reason not to believe that Jesus actually existed. Why wouldn't you?

Wow, thanks for being so helpful.
daisyc
Wow, thanks for being so helpful.

I'm sorry that simple reasoning wasn't able to answer your question.
Reply 10
Why do people believe Santa exists?

Sounds flippant eh but like Jesus there's the man Siant Nichlaus and Santa Claus. That's about it really.
Reply 11
Delta Usafa
I'm sorry that simple reasoning wasn't able to answer your question.

I can imagine you are.. haha
I was just asking for some facts to why ATHIESTS believe in Jesus, not why a religion was based on him.
daisyc
I was just asking for some facts to why ATHIESTS believe in Jesus, not why a religion was based on him.

Because they cannot deny the truth. Jesus did exist. He was God in human flesh.
Like everyone has already mentioned there is a lot of evidence for a historical Jesus existing during 1st Century Palestine. Not all evidence comes from Christian writers, Philo a Roman historian and Josephus a Jewish historian are to name but a few.
Jesusisreal

Give me one good reason why I should believe he was God in human flesh. I am/was a Catholic but am SERIOUSLY doubtful, would almost say atheist now. That's what a Catholic education does to you.....
daisyc

Well he did kinda answer your question really.

Basically it's obvious there was a man who started the movement of Christianity and Jesus was a pretty common name back then. So it's logical there was a preacher 2000 years ago who gained a lot of popularity and got a large following going. However it doesn't mean he was really the Son of God, so that's why Atheists would accept Jesus as a man existed.
Reply 16
Jesusisreal

You are brainwashed. Yes there was evidence for a man called Jesus, but did he perform miracles? No.

I am an atheist and I believe there was a man called Jesus sometime around 2000 years ago, but not some miracle making person or anything like that.
Reply 17
Renal
There's a lot of historical evidence - the bible, the apocrypha and other writings from the time. Jesus may or may not have been the 'son of god' but he almost certainly existed.

What he said.

Though I would emphasise the 'may not'.
I think he existed, and was pretty much just trying to form a sub-group of Judaism which I suppose he did.

He didn't like the excessive rules set out by humans and wanted to revert to the 10 commandments set out by God.

But a long time after his death those who supported him still had no real support compared to mainstream Judaism so they made the new testament very biased against the Jewish people.

That's my interpretation anyway, there are dozens of conclusions one could reach.
Reply 19
I find this interesting and pertinent to the question:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa5.htm

Latest

Trending

Trending