The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ZJuwelH
I ain't letting this loser say anything to affect me! I coasted GCSEs (literally did no work) hence the slack grades, but I have a real desire to do Maths at uni, and the commitment to work hard. And the potential is there! I always get the top grades in Maths. So all the haters can hush!

And more and more remember that Oxbridge are looking for potential rather than actual ability...
Reply 41
no they are actually looking for ability and grades, not "potential" as you so call describe.
Reply 42
BABYGUY
you wont be doing maths at cambridge with a b and 3 c's at gcse and 2 b's in AS Levels mate, not when its so competitive. sorry, but i gotta be truthful. a girl in here got few 2 stars, mainly a's and 3 b's, with straight A grade predictions, yet it was her gcse results that mainly cost her a place, despite being pooled.

As I said in my original post, my GCSEs disadvantaged me AMONGST OTHER FACTORS, namely the lack of an A level language and interview answers which, quote, 'were not as profound as those of other candidates for her subject'. Overall, the tutors thought I was a good applicant for my subject, and the interview feedback said I had only lost out on a place at St Catharine's because the college experienced a huge rise in application numbers in that particular year (558 applicants in 2002). So I must once again say that, though GCSE grades are taken into account, it is certainly not the end of the world if you don't have straight A*s (although obviously As at AS and A predictions at A2 are very important).
Reply 43
read the oxford prospectus. " we value potential as much as, if not more as academic achievement"
Reply 44
theone
And more and more remember that Oxbridge are looking for potential rather than actual ability...

Yes. In fact, it's the interview which is the pivotal deciding factor.
Reply 45
BABYGUY
no they are actually looking for ability and grades, not "potential" as you so call describe.

Another opinion based on what exactly?
Reply 46
BABYGUY

Well when I visited Cambridge the six colleges I visited all mentioned potential much more than proven ability. Straight from the horses' mouths. So go masturbate.
Reply 47
It IS all about potential! There are more people with glowing sets A*s and As buzzing around than can be accommodated at either Oxford or Cambridge - which is why the selection process has 3 parts (as described by an admissions tutor at Cambridge):
1. The letters in the columns on the UCAS form - given a score out of 10
2. The personal statement - also scored out of 10
3. The interview - 10 again
Candidates are scored out of 30, ranked and given offers accordingly.
So 'potential' counts for approximately 2/3 of the application, theoretically. However, considering the fact that pretty much all candidates will have incredibly polished personal statements (schools won't let them go without being perfect) and top results, everyone will have at least 17/20 and your place hangs on the final 10 marks - which are all about your academic 'potential'. Hence, the interview is incerdibly important - it's the only chance you get to stand out and the only chance the tutors get to see who the person on the form really is.

Ben
Reply 48
ZJuwelH
Well when I visited Cambridge the six colleges I visited all mentioned potential much more than proven ability. Straight from the horses' mouths. So go masturbate.

whao, we are being aggressive today.
Reply 49
whao, we are being aggressive today.

Well I really don't like BABYGUY. He is a super chat-crap. Trying to tell me I can't get into Cambridge, who the hell is he to say anything? Just some sad loser who spams and annoys people who won't pay him the right sort of attention. Maybe when I'm at Girton I will come on this forum and tell him to know his role.
Reply 50
ZJuwelH
Well I really don't like BABYGUY. He is a super chat-crap. Trying to tell me I can't get into Cambridge, who the hell is he to say anything? Just some sad loser who spams and annoys people who won't pay him the right sort of attention. Maybe when I'm at Girton I will come on this forum and tell him to know his role.

Yes I know BABYGUUY, he was a spammer last time i checked and filled the board with random stuff. He was aggressive as well if I remember correctly.
Reply 51
well, how can i a person with A*'s and A's at GCSE and straight A's at AS Level and straight A's A2 predictions, have less potential than you? Z Jewel)
Reply 52
You can be a sponge, with absolutely no ability to think for yourself - that's how.

Ben
Reply 53
BABYGUY
well, how can i a person with A*'s and A's at GCSE and straight A's at AS Level and straight A's A2 predictions, have less potential than you?

Grades do not indicate potential. IQ might, but grades don't. Grades are an indicator of realised ability. So when it comes to interview when we prove our potential, we will see who has what in that sense. Until then, you know nothing about me so you can't question my potential. Keep to yourself.
Reply 54
ZJuwelH
Grades do not indicate potential. IQ might, but grades don't. Grades are an indicator of realised ability. So when it comes to interview when we prove our potential, we will see who has what in that sense. Until then, you know nothing about me so you can't question my potential. Keep to yourself.

However, an A grade or a high grade does indicate potential to succeed at a higher level, since it implies comprehension and familiarity with the work done.
Reply 55
ZJuwelH

What uni did einstein went to? cause i thought from somewhere he like failed his science in his school years.
Reply 56
I think it is ludicrous to claim excellent GCSE results are a requirement for Oxbridge entry.
Reply 57
You mean - anyone who has posted their results in this thread so far...

Ben
Reply 58
??? Why Is It Ludicras? Gcse's Are Qualifications, Tehrefore Gcse's Are Important For Applying To Oxford. The Idea Is That People With High Grade Qualifcations Go To Good Uni's......its Called The Education System.
Reply 59
jigar
I did quite well in my GCSEs, but wouldn't like to say exactly what I got. Suffice to say I got better results than anyone who has posted on this thread so far. Also, I think it is ludicrous to claim excellent GCSE results are a requirement for Oxbridge entry.

All right, if u wont then i will. I got 11 A*, and Im proud of it. there was a time when the work was so stressful and titing that i missed a week of school as i broke down, but got hold of myself and got the grades.

Latest

Trending

Trending