The Student Room Group

Why do so many people assume University is for geniuses

I am far from genius and far from dumbass but when I tell people I am going to Uni in september they say something 'wow that's extreme' as if to say I am embarking on a mission to the sun or something.
Polar to that, some current students think they are geniuses as they go to University and they pride themselves on the fact that they study at a mythical place called 'University'. My old high-school aquaintences walk past me in the supermarket in the holiday after a semester and look at me as if to give the impression I should have worked harder at school and somehow think they are destined for better lives as they go to Uni, whilst oblivious to the fact that I am going to Uni in sept and just having a chilled out gap year.

What are you views on this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It really depends on the area. In my school its almost unheard of for anybody not to go to university. I can imagine if you come from a less well-off area however that the chance of someone getting into uni could be silm.
The people that are surprised that you are going to a Uni are probably from backgrounds where going to Uni is not common. But really, you don't have to be clever to go to a university. Some of the less established Unis only require DDD (or equivalent) at A-Level. But then again there is a world of difference at the top institutions such as Oxbridge and Imperial you do have to be academically gifted/work very hard to go to those places.
I get that alot within my family, but its because im the only person in my entire family who has ever been to University. Im the only one who got further than GCSEs, so to them its a big deal and they seem to think im some kind of brain box for it when the reality is that im not, and far from it.

I get it far less from friends because a) alot of them are at university anyway, and b) most of their parents/family members went to university aswell, so they dont see it as anything out of the ordinary.
illy123
It really depends on the area. In my school its almost unheard of for anybody not to go to university. I can imagine if you come from a less well-off area however that the chance of someone getting into uni could be silm.

dis
Reply 5
illy123

Same here. I think every single one of our 100+ students is going to uni this year, or taking a gap year before uni.
illy123

I come from Wilmslow one of the wealthiest areas in Cheshire, it's not what you said
This amazes me, the main reason you go to School is to learn new skills, suceed and find what you are good at, whilst improving on areas your not so good at, in order to pass exams and gain qualifications that open more doors for you.
Yet many people on here seem to think you have to be middle/upper class to get into University when in fact I you don't at all.
It's all down the individual and how hard they try and what they want out of life.
Reply 8
ilovefatchicks
I come from Wilmslow one of the wealthiest areas in Cheshire, it's not what you said

I'm assuming three things:

1) People in a well-off area would have had a good job to afford accommodation there so they know how important education is and will generally try to instill this belief in their child.

2) In a well-off area people won't need to get jobs to afford food (as they will be supported by parents) and can concentrate on studying rather than working in supermarkets, etc.

3) A well-off area can afford good teachers and maybe have a number of differen schools; so its easier to find a school near you with good enough teachers to prepare you to get CCC or higher for A-levels to get into uni.

Ofcourse there will be exceptions to the rule.

I live in London and don't know of a single person who hasn't gone to university.
Reply 9
yeh i agree too, it is pretty amazing for the majority, im in the same position too on a gap year and work nights at a supermarket i tell alot of my friends and they think their doing better than me when its really not true im just chilling saving some money for a house :P
illy123

Definately this; almost everyone from my sixth form went to uni.
Nobody with any experience of higher education thinks that university is for geniuses. Most people at most universities are pretty thick.
Reply 12
flugestuge
Nobody with any experience of higher education thinks that university is for geniuses. Most people at most universities are pretty thick.

:ditto:
I don't think I've ever come across anybody who seriously believes that (TSR doesn't count:p:).
any average student can get into A university whether its "good" or not is another question.
I'm the same as what someone else said, no one else in my family except for my big cousin is in uni yet so they think it's really good that I have got in. Cos I went to the grammar school in my area most of my friends from home go to uni, but my friends from the comprehensive schools who didn't go seem to think it makes me quite clever. It depends who you know and the social background of your family and area really I think

Also: thought I should probably mention as people on TSR do tend to forget, although most average + people can get into uni, not everyone is clever enough to get into university. Most universities won't accept you without 5 C's at GCSE, and 87% of my sister's school don't get 5 C's at GCSE. So in some ways although it doesn't make you a genius being smart enough to go to university is something you should be grateful for and quite proud of
Yeh, it's quite a feat where I'm from.
lol in my school if someone hears you say 'college' you're branded as an idiot. Its not nice but thats life.
At my old school less than 50% got 5 A-Cs at GCSE, i.e. less than 50% had the requirement to continue to A-level, nevermind uni.
Since ex-polys were introduced, uni certainly isn't for genuinely intelligent people, and I judge that by the the sheer amount of gormless retards from my sixth form going to some form of university.
Reply 19
It depends where your from really. Most people seem to think that I'm pretty clever to be where I am, although I never think like that personally. I guess its different for international students though.

Latest

Trending

Trending