The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Worried about Murano Street Student Village

I've heard so many horror stories!! is it really that bad? also, how do you know if you're in a small or large flat?

how is the area too?
Reply 1
I've not found it bad at all. In fact, compared to what I've heard from people at other universities, my experience has been fantastic.

What have you heard?

The area isn't great btw. It's a fair old walk to uni with a massive hill at one point, and Maryhill is Taggart territory, after all. There were a couple of stabbings on the bridge to the village this year, but none serious.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Reading this has put me off Murano:

http://www.glasgowguardian.co.uk/?p=1993
Reply 3
FyreFight
The area isn't great btw. It's a fair old walk to uni with a massive hill at one point, and Maryhill is Taggart territory, after all. There were a couple of stabbings on the bridge to the village this year, but none serious.

This has also just put me off :p:
Reply 4
o my god ha
i read that to my mum and she said im definitely not going there now haha
thanks for the info !
Reply 5
If a couple of stabbings over the course of a year puts you off, you probably won't be able to stay anywhere in any major city.

Though I'll admit that article's pretty alarming.
I reckon you'd be fine as long as you keep your wits about you, Maryhill is a bit notorious but I'm trying to stay optimistic.
That article is a little alarming, but I'm not overly concerned (as if I ever get overly concerned about anything haha...)
Reply 7
I wouldn't walk alone at night in my quiet town in the middle of Northern Ireland!

There's SRC buses that go from the uni to halls in the evening at regular intervals. Get one of those if you're going to be staying late alone.

Wasn't it neds fighting neds outside Murano though? Rather than any students being involved.
Reply 8
Meltdown30
I wouldn't walk alone at night in my quiet town in the middle of Northern Ireland!

There's SRC buses that go from the uni to halls in the evening at regular intervals. Get one of those if you're going to be staying late alone.

Wasn't it neds fighting neds outside Murano though? Rather than any students being involved.

I know that at least one of the stabbings this year involved students. They were walking back from a night out as a group when some nutjob woman ran out from under the bridge and tried to stab them all with a jackknife. She only got one of them in the arm before they all ran away... she was then found by the police hanging around the petrol station half an hour later. There was also a couple of guys who got confronted by a woman who claimed to have a knife on her and demanded all their stuff earlier in the year, but she never actually produced it because they handed their stuff over without question and she probably didn't have one anyway.

But err, Murano's cool guys! Honest! :biggrin:
I've had no problem around Maryhill at all apart from a group of 3 Neds shouting "Get them trainees aff" but, not only did I not understand them, they weren't particularly alarming.
Reply 10
Murano, it has to be said, isn't in the greatest area ever. However theres some 1,300 students there, so given the volume of students walking to and from it- probably at least a couple of hundred after 1am most nights per week, half a dozen incidents per year isn't exactly unexpected- if 1500 people walk back at night per week on average in a 24 week term (more at certain times of the year), then its about a 5,000-1 chance or more that you'll be involved in anything like this.

What you have to remember, if you are coming to university for the first time, is that students are seen by criminals/neds as an easy target on the whole. Regardless of where the halls are situated, students have to be extra careful. The location of Murano, while not the roughest place in Glasgow by a long way, isn't the best either- and the bottleneck of that bridge doesn't help. If anything though, the raised profile of what has happened probably means it'll be much better policed in the future and the likelihood of a repeat is slim. If you were a gambling person, there's statistically more chance of you getting hit crossing the road than getting mugged at Murano- there's relative safety in numbers, and incidents like these always are usually of a high enough profile to adversely affect the reputation of the entire set of halls as a result. I'd be amazed if the wardens/police weren't all over the place like a rash next Freshers Week.
I stayed at Murano Street while my school was on a trip to Glasgow to have a look at the universities. It was horrible. It was like a prison. But there WAS a really cool cat that walks about.

I didn't put it in my five choices.

x
Haha...thats a rather rough assessment!
Living on the periphery of the city of Hamburg, the Murano Street does not really scare me. On the contrary, Murano Street seems to have characteristic of a city.
Reply 14
The Murano cat has vanished.. we think s/he may have died :frown:
Regardless.. no, Murano is not in the nicest of areas, but I've survived this year perfectly well. I've walked back from all sorts of places at all times of the day/night, and I've never had a problem.
If you go wandering about, alone and drunk, waving your purse, and shouting your PIN down your expensive mobile phone.. well, you shouldn't be surprised if something happens.
However, if you keep your wits about you, you'll be fine. And this applies to any halls, in any area, in any city.
Korin
The Murano cat has vanished.. we think s/he may have died :frown:

OH NO!

:frown:

That makes me so sad.
That poor security guard has lost his wee friend :frown:
Reply 16
Theres a black cat walking around in murano still , and yeah living here is having drunk people shouting everyday at 3 am :P generally its a ****hole ! A big one with tons of ****e , especially for the money that you give !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending