The Student Room Group

Successful applications to Oxbridge

Last year we had loads of threads on all aspects of Oxbridge applications. Loads of people applying, following the agonies of interviews, waiting for decisions, exhilaratation for those who got offers, then exam stress, waiting for results and finally, had they made their offers?
How many of those posters are now actually at Oxbridge - I can think of about 5 or 6.
Could d give us figures on those applying, getting offers and making offers?
Amidst all this, let's not forget that everybody in upper 6th/year13 is going through exactly the same traumas as oxbridge aspirants and they certainly do not have any less validity!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yawn1
Last year we had loads of threads on all aspects of Oxbridge applications. Loads of people applying, following the agonies of interviews, waiting for decisions, exhilaratation for those who got offers, then exam stress, waiting for results and finally, had they made their offers?
How many of those posters are now actually at Oxbridge - I can think of about 5 or 6.
Could d give us figures on those applying, getting offers and making offers?
Amidst all this, let's not forget that everybody in upper 6th/year13 is going through exactly the same traumas as oxbridge aspirants and they certainly do not have any less validity!!

I guess I am one of the lucky ones then! The whole process was completely agonising - I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Although I don;t regret having done it because I am here now, I still wonder whether the excessive stress levels were really worth it.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 2
I think someone made some sort of table once with grades and uni places of lots of the members. I wonder where it is now...
Reply 3
Adhsur
I think someone made some sort of table once with grades and uni places of lots of the members. I wonder where it is now...

To be honest I think people make too much of a big deal out of it. Applying is so stressful that people assume getting in is something bigger than it actually is. Yes, getting in IS nice but there are loads of other excellent universities in the world and although you would get a good education and opportunities here, there are plenty of other institutions which can also provide this and other benefits. I think part of the problem is with schools who put candidtaes under excessive amounts of pressure by making a huge fuss over their Oxbridge statistics. People need to seriously get over their hang-ups about it and look at the whole unversities admission process a little more objectively.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 4
hildabeast
To be honest I think people make too much of a big deal out of it. Applying is so stressful that people assume getting in is something bigger than it actually is. Yes, getting in IS nice but there are loads of other excellent universities in the world and although you would get a good education and opportunities here, there are plenty of other institutions which can also provide this and other benefits. I think part of the problem is with schools who put candidtaes under excessive amounts of pressure by making a huge fuss over their Oxbridge statistics. People need to seriously get over their hang-ups about it and look at the whole unversities admission process a little more objectively.

Well said Hilders!
Reply 5
hildabeast

Look at it "a little more objectively"! This is coming from somebody sitting the comfort of an Oxford college...
Reply 6
mikesgt2
Look at it "a little more objectively"! This is coming from somebody sitting the comfort of an Oxford college...

Yes and I know I am extremely lucky to be here, but I have been through the system and see how stupid it is. Oxbridge really is not the big deal people make it out to be; both are nice places, but some schools/parents build them up to be more than they actually are. Just look at the number of "How to get into Oxbridge" threads as opposed to "How to get onto a good university course" threads.

mikesgt2

mike have you watched bowling for columbine yet? sorry for interrupting!
Reply 8
It's just uni for God's sake. Ok, so I might apply to Cam. But it won't be the end of the world if I don't get in.

People need to start living their lives in the present and not spend the whole time planning for the future.
Reply 9
Toffee
It's just uni for God's sake. Ok, so I might apply to Cam. But it won't be the end of the world if I don't get in.

People need to start living their lives in the present and not spend the whole time planning for the future.

Precisely. Good attitude to have.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 10
Lol. I just watched Bowling for Columbine tonight, twas on Film Four weekly.

Charlton Heston - what can I say?
Reply 11
hildabeast
Yes and I know I am extremely lucky to be here, but I have been through the system and see how stupid it is. Oxbridge really is not the big deal people make it out to be; both are nice places, but some schools/parents build them up to be more than they actually are. Just look at the number of "How to get into Oxbridge" threads as opposed to "How to get onto a good university course" threads.

Yeah, when I think rationally (not the best word, but you know what I mean) about it I agree with you. But, on the other side of the admissions procedure most people see it a different way.

I have absolutely no pressure from my parents. And, even though if I were to get in I would be the first person from my school for about a decade to do so, there is very little pressure from school. But, at the moment, I feel that Oxford is where I want to study.

But, as you say, when I am older and wiser I will see it differently whether I get in or not.

-

I think the Oxbridge admissions thing is a problem in many ways as you say. It takes so much effort and tends to stop you thinking about the other universities. Statistics show that you are way more likely to be rejected than accepted... yet we devote so much time to it.
Reply 12
to be honest i'm quite glad i was rejected (although i know perfectly well if i had been accepted i would have been over the moon). I was seeing oxford through rose tinted glasses. The college i applied for wasn't as nice as my current halls of residence and i think the work load would have made me misserable. Also i think i would have had major confidence issues. I find it hard enough now being on a course where most people got very high grades.It's really difficult to go from a school situation where you are one of the ebst to uni where you are one of teh worst. If i had got into oxford those feelings of inferiority would have been worse and i don't think i could have coped.
Reply 13
Adhsur

Hve no fear Adhsur - i am developing one as we speak!

You can see a very early version (put up especially for you) here.
Reply 14
loftx

who's kelvin? he's doing physics at oxford!
Reply 15
loftx

Heh. I didn't do Further Maths A Level, I only did it for AS :smile:.
Reply 16
add me main man elpaw to the list, he does physics at oxford university, and he is teh cleverest and coolest of all of them. he should be at teh top of the list.

elpaw, what subejcts did you do at as and a2?
Reply 17
elpaw
who's kelvin? he's doing physics at oxford!

No idea - the sample results were taken fromlast years a-level results thread.
Reply 18
loftx
No idea - the sample results were taken fromlast years a-level results thread.

I think he was someone from Hong Kong or Japan or somewhere, can't quite remember though.
Reply 19
Nylex
Heh. I didn't do Further Maths A Level, I only did it for AS :smile:.

Sorry about that nylex - I am just writing the bit which will allow people to create an account and log in using their own grades - once that is done i will get round to changing the errors in the sample data - or you will be able to do it yourself :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending