The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes, i think they think we dont brush our teeth.

all the ones i have met think we are like austin powers.

yeh baby yeh! and all that...
Reply 2
I think they're bigger on orthodontists than we are. I've got pretty straight teeth naturally, but I've been told that even I'd have been recommended for braces as a kid.
Reply 3
This becuase like American cars its all show and no substance.
Reply 4
Anything you see films is the only source they use to know what British people are like, except for maybe a couple of open-minded people in the bigger cities who've actually met Brits. The trouble is, for 99%, what they see in Braveheart, Austin Powers, James Bond, Bridget Jones and Love Actually is basically all they know about Britain. So, any cliché that comes up in those films becomes their only reference and they're positive that they're right about their perception because it was in the movie, I mean come on, it's got to be true!
Reply 5
It would be great if I did actually drive past Big ben, in a black cab everyday. Making sure to pass a Red bus and Buckinham palace. Before meeting a guy owning a place in Chelsea (or some equivilently expensive area) with no job. And going to a big social event where all the famous people are.
AT82

Well that's the British perception of Americans...
Reply 7
AT82

on the whole I'd say that was a reasonably accurate perception.
Reply 8
Luize
It would be great if I did actually drive past Big ben, in a black cab everyday. Making sure to pass a Red bus and Buckinham palace. Before meeting a guy owning a place in Chelsea (or some equivilently expensive area) with no job. And going to a big social event where all the famous people are.

heh heh :biggrin:
Reply 9
Luize

...before sitting down with the Queen for a nice cuppa tea?
Luize

I do that most days.
Reply 11
on occasion, when ive said im from n.ireland, they ask me if i know someone who lives here. they seem to think the island is the length of a street.
Reply 12
On the teeth issue, I think the water in America is enriched with flouride while its not here because of fears of links to cancer.
Americans always seem so fake and everything over there is so commercial! People eat twice as big portions than us so i think we have the right to call them Fat in retaliation to our apparent non-existent teeth hygeine!
I was on an American Private school website a few days ago, and it said something like "Theres is a real traditional English approach to schooling at the academy". Thats says a lot of what they think...
In any country there is going to be a sense of national pride - most people feel that what they are used to it best. I find many of the ways of America alien and strange, but Im sure they find us that strange too. Its natural to be adverse to difference and change, but seeing as we are intelligent, it would be nice to rise above that and say "ok, I dont like how you do things, but thats your choice" unless its hurting someone else.
For example, if the americans want to believe that they are the greatest country on earth and that their philosophies are great, thats fine :smile: what I cant agree with is things like capital punishment that they have. I cant think of very few things Im so opposed to.

I do feel a sense of national pride when I see movies will a decent british cast, like Harry Potter, but I also appreciate there are many talented american actors.

I dont think anyone should say britain or america are better - some sense of equality would be nice :smile: we all have our faults, and its fun to tease each other about them as long as it stays friendly :smile:
Reply 16
queenselphie

I do feel a sense of national pride when I see movies will a decent british cast, like Harry Potter, but I also appreciate there are many talented american actors.

But the acting gets crap in Harry Potter....You should be proud of the British comedians.
Luize
But the acting gets crap in Harry Potter....You should be proud of the British comedians.

are you calling Alan Rickman crap?! :eek: :biggrin:
My favourite encounter with an American ever... My brother is talking to some random New Yorker...

Yankee: 'So, what is your name?'
Brother: 'Andy... How about yours?'
Yank: 'Hi, I'm Bob... And where are you from?'
Brother: 'I'm from London!'
Yank: 'Oh, do you know Robert? He lives there too!'
Reply 19
the problem is America's belief that they are the best nation and always right severely effects the rest of the world, I'm all for accepting and loving them for their differences but don't believe that everyone should stand aside and put up with the national ego (not the people, the governement) whilst they go forth an anialate other countries.

Americans, from my own experience are lovely people, but the things that a minority do under the banner of 'America' are awful.

Latest

Trending

Trending