The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well, I am "American" and I can see where this is coming from.. stereotypes. I don't know if this is particularly true because I have never visited Great Britain but I will comment on the fact that many "Americans" do have straight teeth due to the fact that braces have become rather common in the states. Call us self-conscious fools if you must but please refrain from stereotypes unless it comes from a native horse's mouth such as mine. :smile:
Any other questions regarding the U.S.?
Reply 81
Kondar
Are the educated in England one homogeneous voice?
I don’t think so. With such a deep, factual, and complex statement I can only assume that you would fall into the populace that relates to the US.

Have you ever spoken with the ‘educated’ in Estonia, Lithuania, or Latvia about how they feel about the United States and US involvement in their independence movements towards the end of the Cold War?

Have you ever spoken with ‘educated’ Taiwanese citizens and how they feel about the support they are receiving from the US as they hold out from being swallowed up by China?

Do you know that for the first time in history Kuwaiti women now have the right to vote- thanks in very large part to the United States. Have you had the opportunity to speak with some of the ‘educated’ women there?

Are we to assume that the countless 16 year old suicide bombers are educated? Next time I see some 20 year old kid burning an American flag, maybe I can stop and ask him about his opinions on the ‘US silent hegemony’ and the ensuing geo-political and geo-economic effects in the twentieth century.

If you want to know the truth, most educated people are wealthy, these educated and wealthy people from all around the world live in the twentieth century. Most understand many of the actions and policies of the United States though they might disagree to the extent of which these policies are carried out.

"America makes prodigious mistakes, America has colossal faults, but one thing cannot be denied: America is always on the move. She may be going to Hell, of course, but at least she isn't standing still. "
-EE Cummings

I agree with the independence movements supported by US that was something good on americas part.
But wat abt Palestine where US continuously support Isreal as being its real n only friend others r fake to me just the course of time america will turn against them too but never Israel. Palestinians r helpless i mean wat u expect from a man whos land has been purloined who is not allowed to pray at one of his most sacred land. they r helpless have u ever seen gals small kids throwing stones on israiles tanks coz they cant do anything else it might sound silly to u or senseless but to me they r helpless.

and then do Kashmir indendence get much support from US gals r being raped their every second there security forces take young men with them without even asking their parents infact dont even telling where they have moved them.... just a few days ago i saw a mothers interview telling that she is going to police station daily for eight years just to ask where is his son whom they had arrested without any reason once.... a child supplier of milk was shot dead just coz he was not able to find the lost dog of security forces in indian held kashmir n i mean lost DOg. i mean where has been america for such long does america really support this independence issue i dont think so

wat abt Veitnam

n Iraq now who is responsible for the current situation of Iraq.
n when u say 16 year old kid bombing himself i would ask u Iraq has become a paradise for terrorist activities n suicide bombers who is responsible for it... this wasnt the case before iraq was invaded.

in the war against soviet union america supported afghanistan n supplied tons of weapons many of them Taliban n afghanis still using who is responsible for that n later america came up n invaded the same conutry which was once its biggest allie in the war against soviet union coz that was the biggest threat to US now.

N america support Taiwan just coz of its rivalry with China which the next super power n biggest threat to US.

So dude its natural for u to love ur country but also look at those damages it has dont to nations not just countries.
Reply 82
Janealams
But wat abt Palestine where US continuously support Isreal as being its real n only friend others r fake to me just the course of time america will turn against them too but never Israel. Palestinians r helpless i mean wat u expect from a man whos land has been purloined who is not allowed to pray at one of his most sacred land. they r helpless have u ever seen gals small kids throwing stones on israiles tanks coz they cant do anything else it might sound silly to u or senseless but to me they r helpless.How far back to you want to go when discussing the Palestian/Israeli situation?? Because I can think of a certain country that lies on the other side of the Atlantic that is FAR more to blame for that situation than the US. Secondly, if the US did not support Israel it would be anialated.
and then do Kashmir indendence get much support from US
The US is the leading country in the Kashmir peace talks. There is not much of an independence movement rather than two very large and well armed countries fighting over a small part of land. What would you suggest the US do?
gals r being raped their every second there security forces take young men with them without even asking their parents infact dont even telling where they have moved them.... just a few days ago i saw a mothers interview telling that she is going to police station daily for eight years just to ask where is his son whom they had arrested without any reason once.... a child supplier of milk was shot dead just coz he was not able to find the lost dog of security forces in indian held kashmir n i mean lost DOg. i mean where has been america for such long does america really support this independence issue i dont think so
You have to consider the possibility that a good chunk of the information you are receiving might not be very accurate. Im not saying that there is not widespread violence and human rights violations going on- just the extend that these problems are somehow caused by the US.

wat abt Veitnam
What about Vietnam? That was a huge mess. The US originally landed at the request of Ngo Dinh Diem, the president of the south. THe French fcked up Vietnam, then split it in two. Ho Chi Min sacrificed hundreds of thousands of his own citicizens in a grudge match against the south. No one in Vietnam wanted war- but both sides, the US included would not give in. However, the US was ok with the seperation, but Min was not.
n Iraq now who is responsible for the current situation of Iraq.n when u say 16 year old kid bombing himself i would ask u Iraq has become a paradise for terrorist activities n suicide bombers who is responsible for it... this wasnt the case before iraq was invaded.
100,000 people died every year before the invasion from sanctions. Hussien was responsible for murdering tens of thousands of his own people over the years. In one year alone he destroyed over 5000 Kurdish villages forcing these people to flee into the mountains without food or water. The situation in Iraq, as volatile as it is, is much better than the days under Hussein.
in the war against soviet union america supported afghanistan n supplied tons of weapons many of them Taliban n afghanis still using who is responsible for that n later america came up n invaded the same conutry which was once its biggest allie in the war against soviet union coz that was the biggest threat to US now.
SU invaded Afghanistan, the US 'helped' them resist as was our policy durign the cold war. We invaded Afghanistan later after it had been occupied by the Taliban and allowed Al Queda to go unchecked.
N america support Taiwan just coz of its rivalry with China which the next super power n biggest threat to US.
China is actually one of our biggest ecconomic allies. I laugh when people say they are our rival. We helped to launch them into the WTO as well as to help them gain the most favoured nation status. Together our nations are making billions of dollars. We support Taiwan because they are a small and democratic nation- we do so in a sublte way.
So dude its natural for u to love ur country but also look at those damages it has dont to nations not just countries.
Most of the criticisms towards the US are undeducated and igrnorant rhetoric. No country conrtibutes as much internationally as the US. No other country is as heavily dicusses and scrutinized as the US. Its ok to discuss US FP, but please, lets be somewhat rationale about it.

This was just a quick response, if you want to discuss anything in detail start a thread in D&D.
Reply 83
all americans should go and stop eating
Reply 84
1 Week Ago - 01:59 AM - 17-05-2005
usa1981
Full Member Join Date: Nov 2004

Reply to Thread: Americans perception of British

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekeeper_
I was on an American Private school website a few days ago, and it said something like "Theres is a real traditional English approach to schooling at the academy". Thats says a lot of what they think...

That just means the private school thinks that the English approach to education is a good one. What was the name of this private school and were in the USA is it located? Please answer this question for me beekeeper. ;

please answer beekeeper.

Latest

Trending

Trending