The Student Room Group

Do i have to be around in september to reply to uni/slc letters?

Just wondering if anyone could give advice,
I've applied and got conditional offers for university this sept 2005, uni starts around 26th september, but I might be abroad in the first two weeks of September. what usually happens after you've received your results, is everything sorted out in august, or will the uni/slc be sending out letters in september that i need to reply to?
Any good feedback would be great
Reply 1
sweetymango
I've applied and got conditional offers for university this sept 2005, uni starts around 26th september, but I might be abroad in the first two weeks of September. what usually happens after you've received your results, is everything sorted out in august, or will the uni/slc be sending out letters in september that i need to reply to?

it might be helpful if you were around but if not your parents can sort stuff for you. most letters i've had have said "if you are a parent or guardian reading this you may sign and return on behalf of the student" or something like that.

your actual uni place will be confirmed on results day or the day after, unless you have to go through clearing but either way everything is sorted pretty quickly. it will be accommodation that takes a bit longer.

best thing would be to ring the unis and the SLC and check!
sweetymango

Unless you have to go through clearing, everything (accommodation, acceptance of place, student loan) should be sorted out by the end of August. It might be worth telephoning the university concerned and letting them know that you won't be around for the first two weeks in September, just in case they do need to contact you. Thinking back to last year, I got my accommodation through on the 20th August so it may be that a number of students got theirs through a little later, e.g. beginning of September, so it's definitely worth contacting the uni. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 3
To carry on from this...what about the stuff in August, could my parents sort that out? I'll be away all summer and won't be coming back until just before uni. Is there anything on results day or straight after I'd have to be around to do?
Reply 4
Don't worry, everything will be sorted around august during results day. I guess you can still go on holiday in september.
Reply 5
I guess when your firm choice doesn't accept, you the insurance uni's name will be on the AS12 letter automatically?
Reply 6
this as12 that ucas sends...can it be signed by your parents on your behalf?
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice ppl, I emailed the Uni...and they said things should be sorted before september, but they can't guarantee it due to the large number of ppl they send things to...
Where are you going to uni? (I'm in a similar position, going on holiday about 5 days after results...)
Reply 9
I've put Newcastle as firm....

Latest

Trending

Trending