The Student Room Group

Migrant parents retired but I have a job, will my maintenance loans be stopped

Hello,

On August, my mum who supported my SFE application returned to her home country due to health and family issues. I received my maintenance loan payments on the first term but now they’re asking me for 3 payslips from my parent to show proof she’s still in employment. If I give my mum’s P45, MY job contract and MY payslips. Would that be enough to continue receiving maintenance funding? I had called the SFE phone number many times previously, and they gave me many different answers. Some told me, I will no longer get any funding and one said I should submit evidence I’m in employment. Because of this, I have been very confused.

Also, if I show my mum’s P45 just now when she retired since August, will I be told I was overpayed? 🙏🏻 Thank you
Hi sikikaito,

You may be eligible as a Migrant worker if you are working at an acceptable level throughout your studies. The Migrant Worker also needs to be employed at the start of the academic year, therefore if you are a September intake, you would need to provide the September payslip along with the other 3 most recent payslips if available to confirm that you were working. Once your evidence has been received and processed, the assessors will update you directly to confirm if you are eligible.

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi sikikaito,

You may be eligible as a Migrant worker if you are working at an acceptable level throughout your studies. The Migrant Worker also needs to be employed at the start of the academic year, therefore if you are a September intake, you would need to provide the September payslip along with the other 3 most recent payslips if available to confirm that you were working. Once your evidence has been received and processed, the assessors will update you directly to confirm if you are eligible.

Thanks, Clare

Thank you for replying Clare!!

I’ve been working since July, I submitted september, october and november payslips. Is that enough?

Also I worry if I may no be eligible. I worked 32 hours shift during summer so my september payslip shows I earned around £1500 but the other two is considerably lesser (around 550-450) as I’ve been busy with uni. My contract shows I work 32 hours though. Should I worry about that?
Hi there,

This will need to be reviewed by our assessors to confirm your eligibility.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi sikikaito,

Thanks, Clare

Hello again,

I have uploaded my payslips and contract, now I’m just waiting for an update. I’m reading this reply again and did you mean I should make a new application where I support myself? Or is it fine to just upload my documents on my account from the 3 payslip email request I got?

I also received a letter, where it said I was overpaid (the amount of maintenance loans i got in 1st term) and how I supposed to actually get £0 (nothing). I am very confused, why is that? As well as that, I got a notification of entitlement letter where I’m getting no maintenance loans. Is this because I provided the payslip evidence a little late? I worry about getting in debt, and I’m very confused about being told of overpayment without the reason how or why.

Thank you, and merry christmas.
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi there,

You do not need to submit another application and would just need to allow more time for the evidence to be processed. We would have removed your funding as we need time to process your evidence and this is why you would have been told you have been overpaid. Once your evidence is processed we can reinstate your payments and remove the overpayment.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending