The Student Room Group

Saw AQA examiners marking papers sitting in Caffe Nero!

So I'm walking down the High Street in my town and happen to glance in the window of Caffe Nero, and I see a guy opening an envelope marked AQA PRIORITY DELIVERY. This gets me curious, and when I walk back down the street the other way I look in again, to see him and a woman straightening piles of those purple JCQ answer booklets! Firstly, having spent 2 years trying to learn how to write in a way that will impress "the examiners", it's nice to know that they're putting the same effort in, sitting there with a bloody Caramelatte or whatever... secondly, um, hello, data protection? Is this normal practice?

Meh.

Scroll to see replies

So?

You want them to sit in exam conditions in a hall with a desk 1m away from anything else?
I don't think you're meant to do it in a public place? I remember one of my teachers talking about doing it on the train, and having to hide the fact they were doing it.

Edit:
http://escapeteaching.com/exam-marking.html

"You are not allowed to do any marking in a public place. Public places include trains, car parks and schools. "
Reply 3
Those Heathens!!!!!!!!
There was a thread about an examiner having been seen marking OCR French papers on the train this time last year. I agree, it seems so irresponsible. If it were me I would mark them in a room with no other distractions.
nolongerhearthemusic
I don't think you're meant to do it in a public place? I remember one of my teachers talking about doing it on the train, and having to hide the fact they were doing it.

oh right! deffo call the police then.
rainbow drops
There was a thread about an examiner having been seen marking OCR French papers on the train this time last year. I agree, it seems so irresponsible. If it were me I would mark them in a room with no other distractions.

LOL
Reply 7
I saw someone marking on the tube once. I was tempted to stop and see what subject it was, slip them a £20 or something.
Reply 8
cowsgoquack
LOL

To be fair, I wouldn't want an examiner distracted by a blueberry muffin and a low fat latte.
Reply 9
Christ, humans marking papers, whatever will be next?

Robot hamsters invigilating practical exams?
Reply 10
Should have found out if they had one of your papers
Melz0r
So I'm walking down the High Street in my town and happen to glance in the window of Caffe Nero, and I see a guy opening an envelope marked AQA PRIORITY DELIVERY. This gets me curious, and when I walk back down the street the other way I look in again, to see him and a woman straightening piles of those purple JCQ answer booklets! Firstly, having spent 2 years trying to learn how to write in a way that will impress "the examiners", it's nice to know that they're putting the same effort in, sitting there with a bloody Caramelatte or whatever... secondly, um, hello, data protection? Is this normal practice?

Meh.

that's your fault for being dumb enough to think that handwriting impresses examiners
cowsgoquack
LOL

HAHAHA oh wait, the person has a valid point.
Seriously :dontknow: what's so 'lol' about that? Quite a few of my teachers mark exams and some of them have said that they find it hard to do even in the staff room at college... I really wouldn't want the examiners that mark my papers to be doing it in public or on transport or whatever, though that may just be me.
explosions hurt

Ditto. CGQ likes to be deliberately obscure, though.
^^ Hahaha, nice avatar. :thumbsup:
Reply 16
Starbucks ftw
explosions hurt

lol... win!
Moronic Acid
that's your fault for being dumb enough to think that handwriting impresses examiners

I think they were referring to style of writing, rather than the way it's literally presented
Nick_000
To be fair, I wouldn't want an examiner distracted by a blueberry muffin and a low fat latte.

Yes but we don't live in ideal land

Quick Reply

Latest