The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
*Examboy*
Okay thanks.

I will probably do it during school time.

Is it not too late to do in September though?

Will the universities pick up on the fact that I have taken the test later than other people applying?

Nah, their registration deadline is 25th september and their last testing date is 9th october (source: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=keyDatesInformation)

And to answer your question no, they have no way of knowing when you took the UKCAT test, and even if they did they wouldn't care aslong as you've got it within the aforementioned deadline. Good luck!
I'm doing it a week before. I couldn't do it after!!!!! Knowing my grades (BBBB max) it would just get me down and I'd underperform on the UKCAT.
Reply 22
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
I'm doing it a week before. I couldn't do it after!!!!! Knowing my grades (BBBB max) it would just get me down and I'd underperform on the UKCAT.

I was thinking this but hopefully I'm going to get a few A's so I should probably wait until after my results.

Good luck...:smile:
If you're confident grades-wise/will be applying regardless, either is fine tbh. I think the main benefit is that both are early, so you can factor your performance into the universities you select
Reply 24
DrDomDom
Oh just book it for christ's sake - whenever you're free. It doesnt matter!

Lol get straight to the point kind of person are we?

Okay I have done it!

I booked at after my results, during school time so I should be in the work mood and I have plenty of time to look at the practice questions, etc.

...:smile:
Reply 25
Cytotoxic
Nah, their registration deadline is 25th september and their last testing date is 9th october (source: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=keyDatesInformation)

And to answer your question no, they have no way of knowing when you took the UKCAT test, and even if they did they wouldn't care aslong as you've got it within the aforementioned deadline. Good luck!

Thanks for all your help!

I am going to rep you...:woo:
That said, I distinctly remember doing mine the Saturday after results, meaning I didn't drink on the Thursday/Friday :rolleyes: (not that this would have made a difference - the test itself was straight-forward. You highly intelligent will be fine :yep: )
Reply 27
Blatant Troll
If you're confident grades-wise/will be applying regardless, either is fine tbh. I think the main benefit is that both are early, so you can factor your performance into the universities you select

I booked it before your post but I have done it in early September now which is after my results and I will probably only get one chance anyway so it doesn't matter. I either perform well on this one and apply to the universities I want or I don't.

Good luck and nice offers. Btw, I like your username...:wink:
*Examboy*
I either perform well on this one and apply to the universities I want or I don't.

Fair enough - I like how you role :p:

Cheers mate - best of luck to you as well
Reply 29
Blatant Troll
Fair enough - I like how you role :p:

Cheers mate - best of luck to you as well

Thanks.

How did you do on it?

Pretty well if you got an Imperial offer...:eek:
Reply 30
DrDomDom
Good. The more you bother yourself about when you do it, the more you'll get nervous about it.

Its just not worth it.

Yup.

Now that's sorted, I can get back to normal life...:smile:

How did you do on it btw?
Reply 31
DrDomDom
700 average.

And Imperial doesn't use the UKCAT answering your above question.

Yeah I know.

They use the BMAT.

And isn't 700 meant to be a good score?
Reply 32
If you take the UKCAT early you get it cheaper though - so it's up to you - I left it till really late but that's just because I'm unorganized :P
Reply 33
you call this urgent
Sorry to rain on your parade, but don't bother booking it

Your obviosuly not commited to either profession, purely through the fact that your still deciding between dentistry and medicine. Personally, it sounds like your choosing medicine/dentistry as they are 'respectable' careers - not for the commitment and passion.

Personally, Im applying for medicine and it wouldn't even cross my mind to consider dentistry as that not were my interest is.

I think you should majorly re-consider applying for either course
Reply 35
*Examboy*
Hi TSR,

I am booking my UKCAT right now as I am interested in Dentistry/Medicine (probably the former).

I am just wondering, is it better to do the test after my results or before them?

There are dates before and after. Results day is the 20th August, so should I book it before this date or after it?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Well if your hearts set on Dentistry/Medicine, then doing it earlier than results day isn't a bad thing. Even if it doesn't go too well, i would say press on and focus harder to correct everything and still apply!

Doing the UKCAT earlier rather than later is a lot cheaper, but i wouldn't recommend doing it too early. Maybe book it for mid july because you'd have just finished school and still be in the right frame of mind :yep:

The most important thing is to practice! Ignore those people who say you don't have to (they probably did themselves) I actually brought a book and did the online practice questions (on their website) They prepare you for the type of questions you'd expect and you can time yourself!

Good luck with everything :biggrin:
Reply 36
mlo90
Well if your hearts set on Dentistry/Medicine, then doing it earlier than results day isn't a bad thing. Even if it doesn't go too well, i would say press on and focus harder to correct everything and still apply!

Doing the UKCAT earlier rather than later is a lot cheaper, but i wouldn't recommend doing it too early. Maybe book it for mid july because you'd have just finished school and still be in the right frame of mind :yep:

The most important thing is to practice! Ignore those people who say you don't have to (they probably did themselves) I actually brought a book and did the online practice questions (on their website) They prepare you for the type of questions you'd expect and you can time yourself!

Good luck with everything :biggrin:

Thanks.

July has no dates at all...:eek:

I have booked it for early September, slightly after results day but I will be in the work mood.

And yes I will prepare a lot for it in terms of the practice questions.

Thanks for your input.

Good luck to you with your results...:smile:
Reply 37
*Examboy*
Thanks.

July has no dates at all...:eek:

I have booked it for early September, slightly after results day but I will be in the work mood.

And yes I will prepare a lot for it in terms of the practice questions.

Thanks for your input.

Good luck to you with your results...:smile:

Just make sure you prepare properly for the UKCAt and don't do what most people (including myself) and prepare the night before lol! Don't forget, UKCAT is only one part, there's other sections that unis will grade you on :yep: :yep: Don't be a complete book-worm and make sure you've got some extra activities, try being unique! Note, having gold D of E and grade 8 in musical instruments etc doesn't really make you that special, it's good but most applicants have them.

Try varying your work experience (ie not just hospital, it's too generic) try hospice or even working in retail and say how you don't really like it in a medical interview.

Thank you and good luck with your results :smile:
*Examboy*
Thanks.

Are you also in AS waiting for your results?

Or have you already done AS?

Still waiting upon results for AS unfortunately :frown:
Reply 39
xxcherry-popxx
Still waiting upon results for AS unfortunately :frown:

Same.

What subjects are you studying and what you hoping to do then?

Latest

Trending

Trending