The Student Room Group

Bowel cancer. My mum.

Ok I’m really stressed. I lost my dad 2 years ago to covid.

My mum now, has gone for a FIT stool test as she has stomach pain and her results should be 10mg but they found 24mg of blood in her stool.

They’ve said it’s urgent referral to hospital to get a colonoscopy. She is a stressful person and it’s really scary for her. She takes good care of her health.

Symptoms : she’s lost weight but she’s very active so idk. Her stool is sometimes black but this is after she eats a lot of dark fruit.
She has stomach aches also and once a month diherrea
So yeah she’s reallly scared.

Does anyone have advice.

She’s African and 57 years old
Original post by Anonymous
Ok I’m really stressed. I lost my dad 2 years ago to covid.

My mum now, has gone for a FIT stool test as she has stomach pain and her results should be 10mg but they found 24mg of blood in her stool.

They’ve said it’s urgent referral to hospital to get a colonoscopy. She is a stressful person and it’s really scary for her. She takes good care of her health.

Symptoms : she’s lost weight but she’s very active so idk. Her stool is sometimes black but this is after she eats a lot of dark fruit.
She has stomach aches also and once a month diherrea
So yeah she’s reallly scared.

Does anyone have advice.

She’s African and 57 years old

I’m sorry you’re all going through such a difficult time. There are many causes of rectal bleeding, such as IBD, that could cause similar symptoms to the ones your mum is experiencing. A stool test and colonoscopy would also be used to diagnose it. Because of this, there is a chance that it could not be cancer, so I would keep an open mind.

Additionally, what will hopefully reassure you is that if it does end up being bowel cancer (worst case scenario) but you’ve caught it early, it is one of the most curable types of cancer and there’s a low risk of it doing major harm. If she hasn’t been experiencing her symptoms for a long time (years), it would be unlikely to have progressed to later stages if it is cancer.

I lost my grandma to cancer around this time 6 years ago, and it is hard on the entire family to deal with, so I can understand your fear. However, there are no concrete results yet, and judging by what you’ve said, things are looking hopeful at the moment.

Wishing you all the best, and take care of yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by SagaciousSag
I’m sorry you’re all going through such a difficult time. There are many causes of rectal bleeding, such as IBD, that could cause similar symptoms to the ones your mum is experiencing. A stool test and colonoscopy would also be used to diagnose it. Because of this, there is a chance that it could not be cancer, so I would keep an open mind.

Additionally, what will hopefully reassure you is that if it does end up being bowel cancer (worst case scenario) but you’ve caught it early, it is one of the most curable types of cancer and there’s a low risk of it doing major harm. If she hasn’t been experiencing her symptoms for a long time (years), it would be unlikely to have progressed to later stages if it is cancer.

I lost my grandma to cancer around this time 6 years ago, and it is hard on the entire family to deal with, so I can understand your fear. However, there are no concrete results yet, and judging by what you’ve said, things are looking hopeful at the moment.

Wishing you all the best, and take care of yourself.

Hey, what do you mean by
‘Because of this, there is a chance that it could not be cancer, so I would keep an open mind.’
I mean she’s already done a FIT test to see if there’s blood in her stool. They have a cut off point of 10mg I believe and hers was 24. Hence why an urgent hospital appointment is needed for her. I’m assuming for a colonoscopy. Which is very worrying to us as 24 is high compared to 10.

it’s scary that it Apprently is in African decedent too and she is of that.

rip to your grandma💕 sorry for your loss. I lost my dad to covid not too long ago. I know grief is so painful and worrying.
Hey, what do you mean by
‘Because of this, there is a chance that it could not be cancer, so I would keep an open mind.’
I mean she’s already done a FIT test to see if there’s blood in her stool. They have a cut off point of 10mg I believe and hers was 24. Hence why an urgent hospital appointment is needed for her. I’m assuming for a colonoscopy. Which is very worrying to us as 24 is high compared to 10.

it’s scary that it Apprently is in African decedent too and she is of that.

rip to your grandma💕 sorry for your loss. I lost my dad to covid not too long ago. I know grief is so painful and worrying.

What I mean is that a positive result isn’t a diagnosis of cancer in itself, given that there are several conditions (temporary or chronic) that may cause blood in stool. Your mum might be at an increased risk of having it, hence the urgent appointment, however, it is not guaranteed at this point that she has bowel cancer.

I can’t imagine what it’s like to lose a parent and be battling this with your other one, so you are very strong and brave for being able to handle yourself through this tough time.
Reply 4
Hey, what do you mean by

All a FIT test is looking for is whether or not there is blood in the stool; it is not a test that can detect cancer. Lots and lots of things can cause blood in stool, including things like haemorrhoids or a tear from being a bit constipated. Which is why people need to go on to have a a camera test to look at the bowel and to see if anything looks abnormal. I've done a quick google, and this article suggests that over 96% of those with an abnormal FIT will not have cancer. So whilst I appreciate this must be supper stressful and worrying for you and your mum, the fact that her test has come back positive simply means she needs to have more tests, not that she definitely has cancer.

I wish all the best to your mum and hope her colonoscopy goes OK.
Sorry to hear that, lost mine last June. But your mother will likely be fine.
Reply 6
Original post by random_matt
Sorry to hear that, lost mine last June. But your mother will likely be fine.

From bowel cancer. ?

sorry for your loss. I’ve lost my dad last two years. I understand loosing a parent
Reply 7
I have no reassurances but my best to you and your mother. I lost a friend to colon cancer only 2 weeks ago (he was 53) and it is a terrible disease. I hope for a providential outcome.
From bowel cancer. ?

sorry for your loss. I’ve lost my dad last two years. I understand loosing a parent

Just one version he suffered with throughout his time. Actually the treatments over the years are what killed him.

Quick Reply

Latest