The Student Room Group

How can I improve my mathematical ability?

Alright I'm on track for a solid BBB but want to study maths as I believe I have the ability to do it for a degree. I haven't got onto the 3 year couse becuase they want AAB including further maths, an A-level I don't have, but they considered me on individual basis for a foundation year in maths. This is really my last chance to do well for myself academically. I want to do well, so what would you reccommend for improving my maths vastly? I have bought an M2 book and am going to start going through that tommorow to re-awaken my enjoyment for Maths as I enjoyed M1, although I only got 79/100:frown: . After M2 I'm considering going through FP1. But really all this just increases my knowledge in maths and not my ability, how can I improve it, I have summer holidays lasting 3 months, so I have time. Help me out here! Or am I just not strong enough for a maths degree?:frown: :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

I only got 79/100 in M1, and I'm at Cambridge studying maths. No need for the ":frown:".

I must have missed something - what year are you in? What are you studying at uni?

If you want to increase your ability, don't do more material, do harder material. The AEA is perfect, because it tests your C1-C4 understanding - or if you want something harder but a bit more rewarding, try some STEP I papers, and then maybe move onto II in a couple of months as you improve. And if ever there's anything you don't understand, ask us on this forum!
Reply 2
Practise?
Reply 3
Yes, get extended practise in the areas of AEA, then STEP I and then possibly STEP II. Don't be put off by their difficulty, everyone finds them difficult (at least at first), and there are plenty of friendly people around here to help you if you are stuck! BBB at A-Level is by no means a bad thing, and is a reasonably solid platform to go on and do well.

I don't think learning more mathematics is a bad thing. No doubt you will come across a lot of A-Level Further Mathematics in your foundation year, and delving into FP1, FP2, M2 etc... will definitely not be a bad thing and will give you a broader understanding of other parts of mathematics.

Third of all, cheer up a bit:

a) Maths is fun and beautiful
b) see a)
c) You're into your foundation year which will allow you into your university maths course the year after. Everythings goood!
Reply 4
I would say get a tutor and then he\she can identify which areas you are weak in and improve your weaknesses
Retake ealier modules, to boost grade.

Its all about schemas of thinking, if you develope the correct schemas you will be fine. Practice is good but I don't think in the long run that is enough, better to try and understand and reason with material.

P.S. Saying that doing lots of past papers and looking at anwsers to past papers is good.
Reply 6
To be good at maths, you need to, in order of priority:

1. Know all relevant formulae that aren't in your formula booklet
2. Know and have experience using the relevant equations/methods that you learn
3. Be able to work out the best way to tackle a problem
4. Work accurately

(2) will come from lots of practice of the different types of questions both throughout the year and in the weeks before the exam. (1) will follow on from that since if you have experience using the different techniques required, you'll end up memorising the formulae. (3) can be very difficult for the harder questions. You can improve your ability with this by doing past papers or the practice questions at the back of textbooks, since you won't know in advance what sort of questions to expect. With (4), you can reduce the number of trivial mistakes you make by briefly looking back every so often and checking whether your workings follow logically from one line to the next. It helps to work neatly and space out your work so you don't get confused with what you're doing. I also find that I make more trivial mistakes when I'm stressed, for some reason.

What do you find hardest about maths and where do you tend to lose the most marks?
cruciform
Alright I'm on track for a solid BBB at uni but want to study maths as I believe I have the ability to do it for a degree. I haven't got onto the 3 year couse becuase they want AAB including further maths, an A-level I don't have, but they considered me on individual basis for a foundation year in maths. This is really my last chance to do well for myself academically. I want to do well, so what would you reccommend for improving my maths vastly? I have bought an M2 book and am going to start going through that tommorow to re-awaken my enjoyment for Maths as I enjoyed M1, although I only got 79/100:frown: . After M2 I'm considering going through FP1. But really all this just increases my knowledge in maths and not my ability, how can I improve it, I have summer holidays lasting 3 months, so I have time. Help me out here! Or am I just not strong enough for a maths degree?:frown: :s-smilie:

You are not going to improve your ability by reading the only way you'll do this is to practice. You could do past papers or get teachers to set you questions and try to do it under a certain time limit to get your brain working really quickly. If you have watched countdown (not that I have :s-smilie:) you could try some of those style math things. But it's your summer holiday so don't stress out do some sudoku :smile:.
Reply 8
Actually, I would order them:

3, 4, 2, 1

Formulae are easy to remember, and trivial if you truly understand the mathematics behind them. Accurate work and having an intuitive grasp of how to tackle mathematical problems is much more important than "remembering." I have heard people say that "your ingenuity" becomes a large factor when tackling more advanced problems.
Reply 9
I heard all mathematicians do , is spot patterns to an extent....
ttoby
To be good at maths, you need to, in order of priority:

1. Know all relevant formulae that aren't in your formula booklet
2. Know and have experience using the relevant equations/methods that you learn
3. Be able to work out the best way to tackle a problem
4. Work accurately

(2) will come from lots of practice of the different types of questions both throughout the year and in the weeks before the exam. (1) will follow on from that since if you have experience using the different techniques required, you'll end up memorising the formulae. (3) can be very difficult for the harder questions. You can improve your ability with this by doing past papers or the practice questions at the back of textbooks, since you won't know in advance what sort of questions to expect. With (4), you can reduce the number of trivial mistakes you make by briefly looking back every so often and checking whether your workings follow logically from one line to the next. It helps to work neatly and space out your work so you don't get confused with what you're doing. I also find that I make more trivial mistakes when I'm stressed, for some reason.

What do you find hardest about maths and where do you tend to lose the most marks?

I tend to lose the marks on the step by step large 5/6 marker questions, these require a lot of thinking and logic, maybe it requires natural ability which I don't have - could this cause me the demise of a Mathemetics degree where they will test you on unprepared material in the exam where you have to use Mathematical abiliy rather than remembering how to approach a problem/familiarity with a problem?:frown:
rbnphlp
I heard all mathematicians do , is spot patterns to an extent....

To an extent, yes.
Reply 12
Skadoosh
Practise?

QFT
generalebriety
I only got 79/100 in M1, and I'm at Cambridge studying maths. No need for the ":frown:".

I must have missed something - what year are you in? What are you studying at uni?

If you want to increase your ability, don't do more material, do harder material. The AEA is perfect, because it tests your C1-C4 understanding - or if you want something harder but a bit more rewarding, try some STEP I papers, and then maybe move onto II in a couple of months as you improve. And if ever there's anything you don't understand, ask us on this forum!

I've just completed my A2 year, I'm doing a foundation year next year as I'm on track for a solid BBB, I don't think I got the grade in C4 to get the A plus I don't do further maths so I need it.:frown:
However, I'm worried I'm not natural enough to do a course in Maths, what do you think? If you can't tell than ask me certain questions and then deduct whether I am natural or not. Am I strong enough for an AEA, that exam is unheard of in my school, would I be capable if I'm A/B borderline?:confused:
cruciform
I've just completed my A2 year, I'm doing a foundation year next year as I'm on track for a solid BBB, I don't think I got the grade in C4 to get the A plus I don't do further maths so I need it.:frown:
However, I'm worried I'm not natural enough to do a course in Maths, what do you think? If you can't tell than ask me certain questions and then deduct whether I am natural or not. Am I strong enough for an AEA, that exam is unheard of in my school, would I be capable if I'm A/B borderline?:confused:

I'm not asking you to take an AEA, I'm asking you to get up to AEA / STEP I standard. There are plenty of hints, tips and tricks on this forum about STEP (principally because lots of people on here took STEP I / III yesterday and will take STEP II tomorrow). It might take you months to get up to those standards, but it's worthwhile if you ask me.
cruciform

Perhaps you could try some specimen paper:

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/aea/9801/Pages/default.aspx
generalebriety
I'm not asking you to take an AEA, I'm asking you to get up to AEA / STEP I standard. There are plenty of hints, tips and tricks on this forum about STEP (principally because lots of people on here took STEP I / III yesterday and will take STEP II tomorrow). It might take you months to get up to those standards, but it's worthwhile if you ask me.

what would you recommend me to do to get up to those standards?:s-smilie:
cruciform

Practise, have a look at past papers - get them from the Cambridge Assessment website/Edexcel website. There's a ZIP somewhere on TSR with all the AEA papers to 2008.

EDIT: Here, in this thread

Also, how you have a Warnings Level of 20 and are still posting on here has stumped me.
TheTallOne
Also, how you have a Warnings Level of 20 and are still posting on here has stumped me.

Presumably got banned at some point, the ban expired, but the warnings haven't.
cruciform

Practise, and ask when you're stuck.

Latest