The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
littleshambles
Right, because prison is well known for its addiction-curing effects, yeah?

I for one have never heard of anyone taking or becoming addicted to drugs in prison. No sir.

Incidentally, should we criminalise other forms of self-harm as well? We could put anorexics and people who cut themselves in prison as "a deterrent".

The last time I checked, it wasn't illegal to be anorexic... it's sure as hell illegal to use heroin. As for drugs in prison - of course there are. But that should be addressed as a separate problem. Incidently, I didn't mention at any point curing an addiction, I was talking about detering it in the first place. Perhaps they would think twice before using it for the first time if they knew if they were caught they'd spend a hefty time in jail. As far as drug problems in prison are concerned, I'm pretty sure prisons do have facilities with dealing with drug addicts, though I don't believe for a second prisons are 100% drug free, as you said.

PCS
But who are you to stop them form using, as long as it does not infringe on your life you should have no say on what they can do.

Sure - let's let all of the murders free, aslong as they don't infringe on my life, right? :rolleyes: How about fraudsters ripping off faceless companies for money - doesn't affect you or me, does it? How about paedophiles? I'm 20 years old so that doesn't affect me either.

Allthewayhome
Yeah punish junkies - great answer.

Yeah, I thought so too. They're breaking the law. If they didn't break the law in the first place (with some notable exceptions, of course) they wouldn't be addicted in the first place. When I originally said heroin users I also meant heroin dealers too. I know you're being sarcastic but they should all be punished for it. I can't believe there are people actually advocating heroin use. I think you should take a look at a heroin junkie first hand, look at their babies born addicted to the drug, look at their families broken apart by their habit and then go ahead and try and push your mega-liberal ideas onto people.
Reply 41
To the person who negged the above post with
why don't you come on here and talk rather than leaving anonymous rep. Fair enough if you think that, but let's talk how! This is a forum after all :-P
Reply 42
I agree with the idea that it should be given out to existing addicts absolutely free, if that constitutes legalisation of some form them I guess I agree.
I'd disagree about heroin, but most other drugs yes.
Reply 44
Cytotoxic
The last time I checked, it wasn't illegal to be anorexic... it's sure as hell illegal to use heroin. As for drugs in prison - of course there are. But that should be addressed as a separate problem. Incidently, I didn't mention at any point curing an addiction, I was talking about detering it in the first place. Perhaps they would think twice before using it for the first time if they knew if they were caught they'd spend a hefty time in jail. As far as drug problems in prison are concerned, I'm pretty sure prisons do have facilities with dealing with drug addicts, though I don't believe for a second prisons are 100% drug free, as you said.

Sure - let's let all of the murders free, aslong as they don't infringe on my life, right? How about fraudsters ripping off faceless companies for money - doesn't affect you or me, does it? How about paedophiles? I'm 20 years old so that doesn't affect me either.

Yeah, I thought so too. They're breaking the law. If they didn't break the law in the first place (with some notable exceptions, of course) they wouldn't be addicted in the first place. When I originally said heroin users I also meant heroin dealers too. I know you're being sarcastic but they should all be punished for it. I can't believe there are people actually advocating heroin use. I think you should take a look at a heroin junkie first hand, look at their babies born addicted to the drug, look at their families broken apart by their habit and then go ahead and try and push your mega-liberal ideas onto people.

Are you aware that in America there are mandatory minimum sentences, meaning 5-10 for simple possession of heroin. Coincidently they have more heroin and meth users than we do here, so your little theory of higher sentencing = less crime is a bit of a fail. The prisons themselves are riddled with drugs, which tells you something doesn't it? If the government cannot keep drugs out of a completely secure environment how do you expect them to keep drugs out of the whole of Britain?

The idea of giving out heroin for free is that it harms us and the user less than the current set of circumstances we find ourselves in. Someone choosing to use heroin is entirely different to somebody murdering, that is the worst analogy I have ever seen.

People take drugs regardless of the law and no amount of oppression that the government has at its disposal will stop it. If addicts can get their fix for free there will be several problems solved:
1. Prisons are already 1/3 full of heroin addicts/dealers, this would be gone.
2. Addicts tend to deal and create new users to fund their own addiction, this would stop.
3. With no illegal heroin market on the streets a junky could easily go through withdrawal and not be faced with heroin dealers the second he comes out of rehab.
4. The heroin will be pure and the measurements will be exact. Further to this the dose will be administered in front of a trained nurse. Thereby stopping over doses/ poor administration.
5. It is perfectly possible for a heroin addict to hold down a job, they are perhaps the nicest people in the world to be around when they've had their fix. The reason they don't work is because it doesn't cover their heroin addiction.

So you see the massive potential that shooting clinics hold.
Watch films like "Trainspotting" and especially "Requim for a Dream" and you might disagree.
:adore:
All drugs should be legalised.

I wonder if those opposed to drug legalisation also believe that those who self-harm should be imprisoned for possession of a knife/razor.
Elipsis
I agree with the idea that it should be given out to existing addicts absolutely free, if that constitutes legalisation of some form them I guess I agree.

Giving it for free to existing addicts would seal their fate.
So no.
Reply 48
Agreed with the OP and always have.

There's nothing wrong with 'normalising' heroin use, which seems to be the primary concern for people here. We already have normalised alcohol and tobacco abuse. In fact, you might say that heroin and other illegal drugs are already normalised. We all know someone who takes them.
Reply 49
thunder_chunky
Giving it for free to existing addicts would seal their fate.
So no.

No it wouldn't. In fact it would bring them closer to services such a rehab and give them a better chance of succeeding. Not to mention rehab could be made several times better with the savings on the prison system, and everyones insurance premiums.
Reply 50
zeke53in
Marijuana first damn it :mad2:

This!
Reply 51
imagine how many more people would use the stuff if it was legalised
Elipsis
No it wouldn't. In fact it would bring them closer to services such a rehab and give them a better chance of succeeding. Not to mention rehab could be made several times better with the savings on the prison system, and everyones insurance premiums.

Heroin is like a black hole. The more you get involved the deeper you get and the harder it is to get away. The way you say that almost makes it sound easy to quit when it really is not.

I don't see how giving them free heroin, a dangerous and destructive drug will bring them closer to rehabilitation.

In fact if you give them all they need and all they desire although they might not be using dirty needles there is still the danger of over dosing (OD.)

Insurance premiums? :confused:
Anyone who has seen someone dear destroyed by heroin would not say this.

Anyone who has seen someone dear destroyed by heroin wants the stuff wiped from the planet forever.

Dope: there are no reasons.
Reply 54
thunder_chunky
Heroin is like a black hole. The more you get involved the deeper you get and the harder it is to get away. The way you say that almost makes it sound easy to quit when it really is not.

I don't see how giving them free heroin, a dangerous and destructive drug will bring them closer to rehabilitation.

In fact if you give them all they need and all they desire although they might not be using dirty needles there is still the danger of over dosing (OD.)

Insurance premiums?

It will bring addicts who have been out on the streets for tens of years far closer to rehab than they have ever been. It will put them back into contact with health professionals who can direct them to facilities where they can get clean. The clinics do not give them all the skag they want and let them get on with it, they give them the dose they come in on and gradually lower it. The dose has to be administered on site and it is deliberately uncomfortable so they come in, use, and then leave. I don't think it's easy to quit in anyway, but it certainly isn't made any easier at the moment when a dealer can just knock on your door when you get in and offer you a freeby.

Insurance premiums would plummet. Most burglarys are committed by addicts, some of them confessing upto 100 burglarys when they are caught. If they don't need to steal to get their fix then all of these burglarys would cease.
Reply 55
common_person
Anyone who has seen someone dear destroyed by heroin would not say this.

Anyone who has seen someone dear destroyed by heroin wants the stuff wiped from the planet forever.

Dope: there are no reasons.

Giving it out to them for free has a massive effect on the health of the addict. For a start they eat properly. They have money for fresh clothes. They aren't fiending all the time so they can look pretty damn normal. They can even work. Most of the problems with heroin would be obliterated by giving it out for free, and it would eventually result in the near destruction of the black market.
The dangerous overdose range is way too close to the recreational range to legalise, there would be so many deaths.
Another good film about heroin addicts and abuse and the consequences is "Candy" starring the late Heath Ledger.
Elipsis
It will bring addicts who have been out on the streets for tens of years far closer to rehab than they have ever been. It will put them back into contact with health professionals who can direct them to facilities where they can get clean. The clinics do not give them all the skag they want and let them get on with it, they give them the dose they come in on and gradually lower it. The dose has to be administered on site and it is deliberately uncomfortable so they come in, use, and then leave. I don't think it's easy to quit in anyway, but it certainly isn't made any easier at the moment when a dealer can just knock on your door when you get in and offer you a freeby.

Insurance premiums would plummet. Most burglarys are committed by addicts, some of them confessing upto 100 burglarys when they are caught. If they don't need to steal to get their fix then all of these burglarys would cease.

Sounds interesting in theory but an idea like this would never pass. Anti-drug organisations and health organisations will oppose it despite the good intentions it is risky.

It is just very flawed to give out doses of heroin, no matter if they are small or not.

One scenario I can think of off the top of my head is that if an addict walks away with his latest (small) dosage and someone (perhaps another addict) nicks it. Then they have his dose and their own.

And people will find ways to obtain those dosages.

And it will look bad giving out heroin to people on the street.

Although the idea and the intention might be good, it's too risky.
No political party would go for it either, it would almost be political suicide.
Elipsis
Giving it out to them for free has a massive effect on the health of the addict. For a start they eat properly. They have money for fresh clothes. They aren't fiending all the time so they can look pretty damn normal. They can even work. Most of the problems with heroin would be obliterated by giving it out for free, and it would eventually result in the near destruction of the black market.

Still no.

I would not give dope to an already-vulnerable person for all the money in the world.

Have you spoken honestly with any junkies? Have you never had someone tell you that the whole time they were using, they wished you'd just take it away? The problem is that it ***** with your head and your body, and it will do that no matter who gives it to you.

When someone is on heroin it's like they've fallen down a well.

Latest

Trending

Trending