The Student Room Group

I’m scared I have contracted HIV

So I’ve been terrified this past week because I’ve been convinced I have contracted HIV. Last week in school I had a small crack/split/cut on my knuckles caused by dry skin from excessive hand washing, it never bled but was still noticeable and I could see a pink layer between the crack (I’m assuming another layer of skin or something) and later on I fist bumped one of my friends and then noticed the side of his hand was bleeding from a small cut (he didn’t even know he was) and I panicked and instantly inspected my knuckles, I couldn’t see any blood on there (but I do know it only takes a single drop to transmit) and I rushed to the bathroom and rinsed my hands and since then I’ve been convinced I caught hiv from that and I keep telling myself that there’s no way he even had HIV, he’s a virgin and doesn’t do any IVF drugs (well as far as I know of) but I still can’t get the fear out of my head, I am and always have been a massive hypochondriac. I started coughing and sneezing a few days ago and really started to panic but then I heard my mom also cough and sneeze and I knew it must of been just a cold. The worse part is that to get tested you have to wait 3 months after exposure so for all that time I’ll be stressing.
Reply 1
i got this paraniod about HIV once but don't worry and speak to a doctor I was fine
Original post by Anonymous
So I’ve been terrified this past week because I’ve been convinced I have contracted HIV. Last week in school I had a small crack/split/cut on my knuckles caused by dry skin from excessive hand washing, it never bled but was still noticeable and I could see a pink layer between the crack (I’m assuming another layer of skin or something) and later on I fist bumped one of my friends and then noticed the side of his hand was bleeding from a small cut (he didn’t even know he was) and I panicked and instantly inspected my knuckles, I couldn’t see any blood on there (but I do know it only takes a single drop to transmit) and I rushed to the bathroom and rinsed my hands and since then I’ve been convinced I caught hiv from that and I keep telling myself that there’s no way he even had HIV, he’s a virgin and doesn’t do any IVF drugs (well as far as I know of) but I still can’t get the fear out of my head, I am and always have been a massive hypochondriac. I started coughing and sneezing a few days ago and really started to panic but then I heard my mom also cough and sneeze and I knew it must of been just a cold. The worse part is that to get tested you have to wait 3 months after exposure so for all that time I’ll be stressing.

Another fake "mom" thread.
Original post by Trinculo
Another fake "mom" thread.

What do you mean????
I keep telling myself that there’s no way he even had HIV, he’s a virgin and doesn’t do any IVF drugs

Although this could get me banned from TSR, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that men don't need IVF.
Original post by Trinculo
Although this could get me banned from TSR, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that men don't need IVF.

Oh lol my bad I meant like drugs into veins like heroin
Oh lol my bad I meant like drugs into veins like heroin

Nobody injects heroin any more.
Reply 7
I am a mature student and had many encounters that weren't 'safe'. These days unless you are having unprotected sex with sex workers or use needles for drug use, you are virtually unlikely to get HIV. However, I am not gonna tell you "don't worry". The more you try not to think about something the mind will keep on thinking about that stuff. Allow yourself to worry. If you can feel how you feel within your body when you worry, it will stress you less. That is the mindfulness technique.

when I was waiting for my test results years before, I had convinced myself I was HIV positive in my head. It wasn't.

Quick Reply

Latest