The Student Room Group

Maths Coursework HELP!

Hi all, I am currently doing the peice of maths coursework which has me finding out the maximum area possible within shapes with a 1000cm perimeter (all sides have to add up to 1000cm) I aint really good at maths but I been doing ok. I am on triangles! go me eh! Anyways, how do I find out the area of a scalene triangle, I tried herons formula, hang on I will show u wht I have done....

I did S=1/2 (700+200+100) which was 500 same as isoceles!

then

area=500(500-200)(700-500)(500-100)

I had to swap around the 700 and 500 didn't I?

Then i square rooted wht I got for tht but it seemed wrong, any help guys? wht values should I use?
The area of any triangle is (height*base)/2...all you have to do for non-90degree triangles is decide which side to use as the base and then work out the height - either using trig or just measuring scale drawings.
Reply 2
wavey-davey
Hi all, I am currently doing the peice of maths coursework which has me finding out the maximum area possible within shapes with a 1000cm perimeter (all sides have to add up to 1000cm) I aint really good at maths but I been doing ok. I am on triangles! go me eh! Anyways, how do I find out the area of a scalene triangle, I tried herons formula, hang on I will show u wht I have done....

I did S=1/2 (700+200+100) which was 500 same as isoceles!

then

area=500(500-200)(700-500)(500-100)

I had to swap around the 700 and 500 didn't I?

Then i square rooted wht I got for tht but it seemed wrong, any help guys? wht values should I use?

did the a button stop working on your keyboard?
Reply 4
I looked at tht but didn't find it helpful! hmmm, I dunno wht to do >.<
If you want to double check then draw a scale version of your triangle and use right angled triangles drawn onto it to calculate a height and a base and see if the 2 results tally.

And include your double checking in your coursework...spotting odd looking results and double checking will gain you extra marks...even if the answer works out right.

Latest