The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think we're debating this a little too sensibly to be honest. So, time to descend into immature absurd arguments:

"Why do we have a clear inconsistency in our class labels (upper, middle, working) when 'lower' would be far more appropriate as a third class for two reasons: firstly, it fits in with the 'upper' and 'middle' echelons; secondly, none of the lower class actually do work, they just claim unemployment benefits and sponge off the elite sections of society? Discuss"
Reply 61
Lefty Leo
I agree with almost all of what you say but i must disagree on the terms "working" and "lower" class. You have working classes in LEDCs and not in MEDCs (unless they're factory workers and farmers i guess, but the latter today would be middle class based on income, and even so use machinery mostly anyway :P:smile:, but you will always have "lower" classes regardless of where you go :smile: .

very true yes. You have lower classes wherever there is industrialization and that happens to be nearly everywhere in the world. In fact the only real examples where there is virtually no structured class system would probably be remnants of native tribes within areas such as Brazil - but then they all have extremely difficult lives compared to the rest of the world!
Trigger
I don't really understand what you are trying to say?

In essence you can have a family with a good work ethic but you might be stuck in the same employment circles (self-employment aside) as them unless you do well academically. And I don't mean just going to university, I mean doing well at GCSE and A level too cos most worthwhile jobs require GCSEs now. As for the producing children thing you can juggle it both (like Pinkmobilephone) but the worst kind of working-classes are the ones who do nothing but burgle houses and rob for a living and that's partly down to the parents' lack of guidance BUT if kids are going to make money illegitamately they're going to do it anyway. If prison isn't a deterrent ]their parent's harsh words won't be
Reply 63
numb3rb0y
We're society's dumping ground, really. Too rich to get support, but too poor to stop others getting support from us.

Go bourgeoisie!

Exactly!! I have so many friends whose household incomes are under £10,000 and they literally get money thrown at them -- full EMA, full maintance grant, lots of bursaries and scholarships.

Other friends whose parents are in six figure salaries get £6,000 a year from daddy.

Then I am in the middle, with a household income too high to get anything, but not enough that my family can give me any money at all when I go to university.

Middle class is the worst position to be in when it comes to going to Uni in particular, I think I will struggle the most out of my friends -- both the rich ones and the poor.
Reply 64
jaydoh
In essence you can have a family with a good work ethic but you might be stuck in the same employment circles (self-employment aside) as them unless you do well academically. And I don't mean just going to university, I mean doing well at GCSE and A level too cos most worthwhile jobs require GCSEs now. As for the producing children thing you can juggle it both (like Pinkmobilephone) but the worst kind of working-classes are the ones who do nothing but burgle houses and rob for a living and that's partly down to the parents' lack of guidance BUT if kids are going to make money illegitamately they're going to do it anyway. If prison isn't a deterrent ]their parent's harsh words won't be

well that's not true.
jaydoh

Prison isn't a deterrent because people get out in half their sentences for the most henious of crimes.

If prison has to be a deterrent it must be somewhere people dread going - squalid living conditions, horrible treatment, etc. But that isn't humanitarian!

The death penalty when carried out often and effectively(ie, to sentence accurately, not to judge innocents wrongly) is a huge deterrent. But when is it carried out often?

If you can't deter people from committing crimes then you must provide enough incentives for them not to commit them them in the first place.
MichaelG
I agree too, i personally despise people who look down on anothers class; thats the one of the most sad and infuriating things anyone can do. Nobody here is daring to de-value the work of any social class because all of us put in mammoth efforts into our lives at one point or another.

The reason there are tuition fees is because the government itself cannot realistically finance to send everyone to university (the Labour parties primary aim in the education system) - so instead of taxing more (a deeply unpopular and economically damaging move since higher taxes restrict growth anyway) they simply make universities a business; ie, we pay to go ourselves. Bit contradictory isnt it? On the one hand the government is encouraging more to go to university, yet on the other, the most financially troubled people simply cannot afford to go, its madness!

I think the means-tested financing is a fair system as is extra financial aid for the poorer-why should children from more well-off backgrounds have equal funding as the less well off?
Reply 67
jaydoh
That's based on your personal experience and is not a general representation of wider society. Go to a council estate and see how dysfunctional the families are. Just because yours is stable doesn't mean the rest are.

But you have just contradicted yourself, surely a council estate is not a representation of wider society either, and rather an individual experience?
Aeolus
But you have just contradicted yourself, surely a council estate is not a representation of wider society either, and rather an individual experience?

It is however the most wide representation of the so-called lower classes you'll get, as parodied and hyperbolised in Shameless. The working-classes are notoriously dysfunctional. How many children from "broken homes" come from a well-off background?
Reply 69
jaydoh
I think the means-tested financing is a fair system as is extra financial aid for the poorer-why should children from more well-off backgrounds have equal funding as the less well off?

Because thats actually fair. If children are financed equally by the government we're therefore treated the same, regardless of our social, economic and ethnic background. Thats a good thing isnt it!

Problems arise when you draw lines. Where do you actually draw the line to determine someone is middle class and working class? Why should anyone draw the line that says: "you earn £29,999, therefore you are technically working class and your children will be fully supported for education" and "you are £30,001, therefore you are middle class and you're children are not entitled to receive financial aid."

That's what happens when you draw lines.
Reply 70
Aeolus
Working class families are often alot more stable than middle class.

The majority of my middle class friends, have separated parents, or a mother addicted to anti-depressants, and a younger sibling who tries his/her hardest to act like the lower class kids anyway.

Maybe it is just a stereotype...

But in my experience working class families i have come across, including mine, are alot stronger. And what more incentive is their for a young kid to do well than starting at the bottom of the pile?

Yes, it is a stereotype which is supported by no evidence and is completely pointless. Working class families are just as disfucntional as middle class ones, which are just as disfunctional as upper class ones - if anything, disfunctionality decreases going up the class spectrum but it probably doesn't, it just appears to.

Lefty Leo
The "working" people aren't particularly useful to a tertiary economy where 20-40% of the GDP is produced by manufacturing (and that too mostly automated manufacturing requiring minimal labour), while the rest is almost all produced by services.

There's a reason the government wants them to go to university and be educated and not be stuck doing jobs that are much cheaper in a third world country.

100% correct.

The requirement in such an economy for labourers is far, far shorter than we have people whose jobs, if they were not unemployed, would be to provide unskilled manual labour. There is a small shortage of skilled labourers, such as gas men and plumbers etc., but this does not require that such a proportion of society at large remains working by hand for their pay cheque. Hence the government's drive to increase university admission and the range of 'stay in school' schemes.
Reply 71
jaydoh

I wish you would stop refraining to the latter as working classes, they don't, that's the point. I'm still not seeing your point, youre not making an argument. I dropped out of uni yet i still strive to do well. You don't need a university education to do well, just the gall to want to do well.
Reply 72
jaydoh
It is however the most wide representation of the so-called lower classes you'll get, as parodied and hyperbolised in Shameless. The working-classes are notoriously dysfunctional. How many children from "broken homes" come from a well-off background?

Well i am for a start, though it was only a well off home once i was about 10.
Reply 73
Lefty Leo
Prison isn't a deterrent because people get out in half their sentences for the most henious of crimes.

If prison has to be a deterrent it must be somewhere people dread going - squalid living conditions, horrible treatment, etc. But that isn't humanitarian!

The death penalty when carried out often and effectively(ie, to sentence accurately, not to judge innocents wrongly) is a huge deterrent. But when is it carried out often?

If you can't deter people from committing crimes then you must provide enough incentives for them not to commit them them in the first place.

But then again, crime is a direct result of the society in which it is commited. So maybe it is society which has to change, because as long as there are flaws as big as those which exist in ours, there will be crime. It is sad but in the present day we exist to make money, and many are in a better position than others to do this. Crime is just a way for the lesser well off to make money fast.
MichaelG
Because thats actually fair. If children are financed equally by the government we're therefore treated the same, regardless of our social, economic and ethnic background. Thats a good thing isnt it!

Problems arise when you draw lines. Where do you actually draw the line to determine someone is middle class and working class? Why should anyone draw the line that says: "you earn £29,999, therefore you are technically working class and your children will be fully supported for education" and "you are £30,001, therefore you are middle class and you're children are not entitled to receive financial aid."

That's what happens when you draw lines.

The way I see is you should finance everyone equally before a certain figure and then cut it off, and not stagger it out (ie 20k household income=x ammount. 25k income= x ammount). I mean a high cut off point like 60k-70k. If you're family earn that much they'll surely be able to finance you a little through uni?
Reply 75
Deipnosophist123
I think we're debating this a little too sensibly to be honest. So, time to descend into immature absurd arguments:

"Why do we have a clear inconsistency in our class labels (upper, middle, working) when 'lower' would be far more appropriate as a third class for two reasons: firstly, it fits in with the 'upper' and 'middle' echelons; secondly, none of the lower class actually do work, they just claim unemployment benefits and sponge off the elite sections of society? Discuss"

Define lower class please? Do you mean working class? I come from a working class background (my mother works for a living, but doesn't earn a lot).

Why can't people split working class and benefit scroungers apart from each other?

Upper class

Middle class

Working class

Underclass
Aeolus
But then again, crime is a direct result of the society in which it is commited. So maybe it is society which has to change, because as long as there are flaws as big as those which exist in ours, there will be crime. It is sad but in the present day we exist to make money, and many are in a better position than others to do this. Crime is just a way for the lesser well off to make money fast.

Uhh?

The problem with most capitalist societies is lack of equity. In the feudal and aristocratic days this was handled using brutal punishment, but that is no longer the case.

Thus there must be much greater equity in society.

If you look at Singapore, they have ridiculously harsh sentences for things like weed (20 years for distribution) and heroin (death for distribution). They actively disincentivize people from committing crime, while also being equitable (think they offer free education and healthcare? :confused: ), and as such have a very low crime rate.
Trigger
Well i am for a start, though it was only a well off home once i was about 10.

Depends how you define "broken home".
Reply 78
jaydoh

If by 'broken homes' you mean divorced parents, then i would say a great deal.

The amount of 'brooken homes' is more an acceptance of divorce in our culture than of class.
Reply 79
jaydoh
The way I see is you should finance everyone equally before a certain figure and then cut it off, and not stagger it out (ie 20k household income=x ammount. 25k income= x ammount). I mean a high cut off point like 60k-70k. If you're family earn that much they'll surely be able to finance you a little through uni?

Why should they? My mother earnt enough to finance me and refused because "if i want to go to uni i can jolly well pay for it". I hate people that expect thier parents to pay their way through university. You moved out to go you stump up the bill.

Latest

Trending

Trending