The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ThisLittlePiggy
I think a huge problem that many medics face is that tons of people already hate them for no reason!

On freshers I met people who wanted nothing to do with me just because of the course I was doing and they'd go about in the first week of term saying; " Medics are X, Medics are Y" when they have no ******* idea.

Its jealousy. You're doing a course which makes a difference, high respect, fantastic career after and hard to get into..it is all down to jealousy
Hi, thought I'd come here to annoy you all.

Though secretly I also find medics annoying.
ashy
Imperial?

Yes. They're extremely annoying.

:frown: I gather that nowhere is the Medic vs. Everyone else divide more chasm-ess (yes I just made that word up) than at Imperial. Like even in Freshers' Week it's an instant conversation ender:

*Generic "what's your name, where are you from" banter*
Engineer: "You seem like a pretty sound guy. I'm sure we're gonna be Best Friends Forever and what not. What course did you say you do again?"
Medic: "...it's all good, I never did. I'm studying Medicine."
Engineer: "Oh..."

Why?! Blatant Troll's got a lot of love for engineers. Reciprocate. RECIPROCATE :woo: :woo: :woo:
Reply 123
Blatant Troll
:frown: I gather that nowhere is the Medic vs. Everyone else divide more chasm-ess (yes I just made that word up) than at Imperial. Like even in Freshers' Week it's an instant conversation ender:

*Generic "what's your name, where are you from" banter*
Engineer: "You seem like a pretty sound guy. I'm sure we're gonna be Best Friends Forever and what not. What course did you say you do again?"
Medic: "...it's all good, I never did. I'm studying Medicine."
Engineer: "Oh..."

Why?! Blatant Troll's got a lot of love for engineers. Reciprocate. RECIPROCATE :woo: :woo: :woo:

Yeah, they have their own campuses (read: hospitals), their own clubs and I'm sure if they could have a hall just for medics they'd do that too. Because they have their own societies, very few medics meet people in the normal societies. We interact with everyone except medics and they only interact with other medics.
ashy
Yeah, they have their own campuses (read: hospitals), their own clubs and I'm sure if they could have a hall just for medics they'd do that too. Because they have their own societies, very few medics meet people in the normal societies. We interact with everyone except medics and they only interact with other medics.

It's a shame. I intend to talk to lots of other non-medic awesome people (that is, if you'll have me :p: ), if only for the first 2-3 years - I'm realistic in that respect - but even then hopefully there'll be a few that I'll stay in touch with. Just a bit bummed out that you've bezzed it down the M1 to South Ken on the Saturday, and essentially the first people you talk to when moving into Halls are judging you for being a medic.

I just won't tell them anything about my course. Ever.
ashy

See this is has got me worried now! Some people have mentioned at my uni how the nurses get treated on campus.

I mean...we have our own campus, societies, union, and tbh i only really interact with nurses, i've got to ask! Do people get annoyed by the nursing students at uni aswell?!
Reply 126
Blatant Troll
It's a shame. I intend to talk to lots of other non-medic awesome people (that is, if you'll have me :p: ), if only for the first 2-3 years - I'm realistic in that respect - but even then hopefully there'll be a few that I'll stay in touch with. Just a bit bummed out that you've bezzed it down the M1 to South Ken on the Saturday, and essentially the first people you talk to when moving into Halls are judging you for being a medic.

I just won't tell them anything about my course. Ever.

They won't care unless you are the kind of medic who only does things with other medics. It'll be fine :smile:
Reply 127
Subcutaneous
See this is has got me worried now! Some people have mentioned at my uni how the nurses get treated on campus.

I mean...we have our own campus, societies, union, and tbh i only really interact with nurses, i've got to ask! Do people get annoyed by the nursing students at uni aswell?!

I don't know, we have no nursing students at Imperial. Can't comment.
Reply 128
ashy

As Renal (I think) has already pointed out, there are historical reasons for all that. The hospitals used to be independent med schools in their own right for centuries before they got merged into the universities (Charing Cross, St Mary's, Chelsea & Westminster etc got merged with Imperial, the Royal Free, UCH and the Middlesex went to UCL, Barts and the London got merged with QMUL...), so it's only natural that they'd have developed their own campus facilities and societies. I can't comment on why they still like to segregate themselves, if that's the case (though I suspect it may not be just down to the medics...) but they don't just have their own societies, hospitals etc for fun.
Reply 129
ashy

I'm assuming you lived in halls?

In halls you pretty much intermingle with everyone, and some of my best friends are non medics. Though I suppose once halls are done with, the differences would become more obvious.
Reply 130
Helenia
As Renal (I think) has already pointed out, there are historical reasons for all that. The hospitals used to be independent med schools in their own right for centuries before they got merged into the universities (Charing Cross, St Mary's, Chelsea & Westminster etc got merged with Imperial, the Royal Free, UCH and the Middlesex went to UCL, Barts and the London got merged with QMUL...), so it's only natural that they'd have developed their own campus facilities and societies. I can't comment on why they still like to segregate themselves, if that's the case (though I suspect it may not be just down to the medics...) but they don't just have their own societies, hospitals etc for fun.

Oh I'm well aware of the history of the ICSM, I'm just pointing out why there is such a great distinction at Imperial.
Reply 131
reems23
I'm assuming you lived in halls?

In halls you pretty much intermingle with everyone, and some of my best friends are non medics. Though I suppose once halls are done with, the differences would become more obvious.

For first year, yes, but even then the distinction was there. Medics got freshers' fortnight while we got one week - they always went to the Reynolds bar instead of the Union (or elsewhere) and there was a distinct air of superiority among most of them, as though the rest of us didn't know the true meaning work. Some of my friends at the time were medics, but it just didn't last.

I don't really interact with any medics now.
Sarky
Medical students refer to themselves as medics. Not a big deal.

Please help me put a stethoscope in my pocket because it won't fit. Since i'm not allowed a white coat where else am I meant to put it? Doesn't mean I wear it to the canteen (do you really want food on that thing?) but a pocket is not practical unless its massive.

Most people make jokes about their course. It goes with the territory.

Never brag about my grades. Nobody gives a crap (oh, they're in my sig btw).

Medicine can be bloody boring, but it can also be exciting. I won't apologise for that. I'm allowed to be there and assist when a couple have their first child. Watching the look on their faces when their child is born, and knowing you've helped is fantastic.

Being there when someone is diagnosed with cancer, when they're told they're going to die. Sitting there joking with them whilst they have chemo, finding out that they've died and their wife has sent you a message telling you that you made it easier in the last few months. You, a medical student.

You've just reminded me why I do it, so thanks.

Well done. As a girl, I wouldn't have expected anything less...

No need to get excited though, seriously...
Reply 133
ashy
For first year, yes, but even then the distinction was there. Medics got freshers' fortnight while we got one week - they always went to the Reynolds bar instead of the Union (or elsewhere) and there was a distinct air of superiority among most of them, as though the rest of us didn't know the true meaning work. Some of my friends at the time were medics, but it just didn't last.
Why does being different mean that we think we're better? I've never understood why going to the bar on my campus means that I think I'm better than you. :confused:
Reply 134
Renal
Why does being different mean that we think we're better? I've never understood why going to the bar on my campus means that I think I'm better than you. :confused:

No not that, the impression of that feeling is general, not because of segregation. Just from talking to medics who were my friends at the time, that's often the impression that I (and my other friends) often got. Our efforts were nothing compared to theirs, we never had as much work as them, if we didn't have to work through the night then we were slacking.
Reply 135
ashy
No not that, the impression of that feeling is general, not because of segregation. Just from talking to medics who were my friends at the time, that's often the impression that I (and my other friends) often got. Our efforts were nothing compared to theirs, we never had as much work as them, if we didn't have to work through the night then we were slacking.
Then they're *****, do you not have them on your own course without stealing them from elsewhere?

However, our work is different, it's very different from most other degrees and it makes very different demands of the students.
Reply 136
Renal
Then they're *****, do you not have them on your own course without stealing them from elsewhere?

However, our work is different, it's very different from most other degrees and it makes very different demands of the students.

I'm not saying it's easier or harder, and I know that it is very different. The course is much longer and quite often the marking systems are just plain evil. But the impression we got from a lot of medics was that we couldn't understand their huge workload, as though we didn't have any work of our own. I'm not saying all medics are like that - of course they're not. But many are.
Is anyone else getting annoyed by the people getting annoyed by the medics? I'm getting tired of the "OMG, the medics wont talk to me, they must be so up themselves" mentality that some people have! Grow up! It isn't a competition to see who works harder. This is life - people can hang out with whoever they want to. There will always be tossers in the world who think they're above you, but I doubt that it's limited to medical students.

That is all! :smile:
ashy
distinct air of superiority among most of them, as though the rest of us didn't know the true meaning work.

This would be your perception of them, and not something that they control.
Reply 139
ThisLittlePiggy
This would be your perception of them, and not something that they control.

Not really, if lots of people share the same perception of certain individuals...

Latest