Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CLS94)
    All subjects are much harder at IB than school, but Chemistry is supposedly a huge jump, many who take it find it very difficult. If your interested in it, why not ask if you can give it a god for the first 1/2 term or so, and then change to a different HL if not?
    Yes, I think that's what I'll do
    (Original post by arrowhead)
    Yes, it is definitely lightyears harder, there is no comparison. I know people who had A*s in IGCSE/GCSE Sciences and struggled to get 4s and 5s in their IB HL versions. I'd keep Chem at SL in that regard, especially if you already find it hard at IGCSE.

My personal opinion has always been that people who know, with a lot of certainty, what they would like read at university, should always do A-Levels. It gets them to their universities and course of choice with a little less hassle and they don't have to deal with subjects they're uninterested in.

But if you don't know/are unsure and need more time to decide where'd you like to be at University, IB is always a better option. It exposes you to a wider range of reading and academia, you might find something you never even knew you would have liked (certainly how I felt about Economics when I did the IB).
    I thought this too, until I realised that at A levels I'd be able to do four subjects to a higher level, instead of just 3 at IB :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neverme)
    Yes, I think that's what I'll do

I thought this too, until I realised that at A levels I'd be able to do four subjects to a higher level, instead of just 3 at IB :/
    A levels are not exactly equivalent to HLs, some A levels are easier to get an A star in than HLs. I heard globally 3% of people who do HL History get a 7, for instance.

You also have to consider IB is more of a course than A levels - they give you a set of skills that you keep for life, and as a result, IB students find it easier at uni.

I'm thinking NatSci at uni, or perhaps Chemical Engineering.

Would this combination work?
    HL Chemistry
    HL Physics
    HL Maths
    SL Geography
    SL English Lit
    ab initio Mandarin (already speak some, can't write/read though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashaaaness)
    Hey!

Okay so I basically need some help.

I'm planning to pursue either vet med/med/pharmacy (but more likely pharmacy) and I picked these IB subjects:

HL
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry

SL
    Spanish ab initio
    English A1
    History

BUT, I recently got my IGCSE results - I only got an A (ie not A*) for Maths and a really horrible grade for Additional Maths :p: and my school is now recommending that I drop Maths HL and take up either English or History.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it advisable to drop Maths HL despite wanting to pursue the sciences at university? Will this make me a little bit more disadvantaged than other applicants applying for the same courses? I know Maths HL is not required as I've got both Biology and Chem at HL but.. is it preferred?

I COULD try my best for Maths HL - that is, work my butt off for it but I'd just like to hear everybody's opinion on whether it's worth it, and whether I even need it!

2. Also, IF I do drop Maths HL, which HL should I take up, English A1 or History? I love both equally, and scored A*s for English First Language, English Literature and History at IGCSE and I'm pretty much torn between the two. So I WOULD like to pick the one I love - but I love both so uhhh, yeah I kinda need help :p:.

Can anyone out there tell me which HL they felt was better for them & why, whether the workload will be too much if I were to take one instead of the other..etc?

It'd be much appreciated, thanks!
    Don't leave Maths HL! I got an A in IGCSE too and I am doing IB Maths HL and I am predicted a 6 ! Basically an A in IGCSE Maths is equivalent to A* in GCSE !! Universities know that, that's why we IGCSE students get offer's more easily then GCSE students !! Don't take English A1 HL unless u have a passion for literature, as for my school people in HL Have to study independently I am not aware of what your school does !!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, Ill give this another try..
    I want to study architecture/art and if I want to go to one of those more prestigious universities abroad then I'd have to get a scholarship. I'm not very good at math, and I'd rather focus on Visual Arts and do English at HL instead. So, considering what I want to do in the future, is Math at SL sufficient? Currently my subject choice looks like this:

English A1 HL
    German A1 SL
    History SL
    Physics HL
    Math SL
    Vis. Arts HL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiWafer)
    I want to study architecture/art and if I want to go to one of those more prestigious universities abroad then I'd have to get a scholarship. I'm not very good at math, and I'd rather focus on Visual Arts and do English at HL instead. So, considering what I want to do in the future, is Math at SL sufficient? Currently my subject choice looks like this:

English A1 HL
    German A1 SL
    History SL
    Physics HL
    Math SL
    Vis. Arts HL
    If you're not good with Math, then why take Physics HL? And Math SL isn't easy either. People with A or A* IGCSE are struggling for a 6 in my Math SL class. If you want scholarship, you'll need really good IB score, so I suggest you take Biology HL since it's way easier than Physics.

ReputationRep:
    As in my country, History is necessary to get to any uni for Law, which has been my dream for many years, I was wondering if I manage to get a good mark from History hl on ib course, as I'm not actually into history and my knowledge is not impressing. I just study before the test, get a really good mark and then forget. If I studied a lot, repeated everything during ib, would I be able to get at least 5? I know that's really difficult to say, but generally, as you think? What is your opinion? I have a good memory, but I need to remind some things constantly in order to remember. Sorry for my mistakes, I've been learning Engish only for a few years. Should I try or if History is not 'my subject' I shouldn't?

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure if I want to take 4 higher levels....but I don't know which one to drop!

Econ HL
    Physics HL
    Eng Lit HL
    Japanese B HL

Philosophy SL
    Maths SL

I want to purse Economics in university. I have a partly Japanese background, and I'm semi fluent in Japanese, so B standard will be too easy. I enjoy English Lit and Physics a lot.
    I will generally apply to the US.
    I am pretty strong in maths, I got A* in IGCSE a year early.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I have no clue what I want to do in life, and have to give in my form soon.. I like the sciences, arts and philosophy/religion, (is there a good job that combines science and art?? )

I haven't done history before (did geography but cannot go through another 2 years of that!) Also, I have only done dual award science (though I am getting full UMS on that) so do these subjects sound alright?

SL
    English
    Spanish
    History

HL
    Maths
    Physics
    Art

I consider myself pretty hermit-y atm haha, but my art teacher said that I'll soon want to go partying and have boyfriends etc, which you apparently can't do with IB.. I think he underestimates my hermit-ness haha but still, is it really that hard?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnieeBubble)
    Hey! I have no clue what I want to do in life, and have to give in my form soon.. I like the sciences, arts and philosophy/religion, (is there a good job that combines science and art?? )

I haven't done history before (did geography but cannot go through another 2 years of that!) Also, I have only done dual award science (though I am getting full UMS on that) so do these subjects sound alright?

SL
    English
    Spanish
    History

HL
    Maths
    Physics
    Art

I consider myself pretty hermit-y atm haha, but my art teacher said that I'll soon want to go partying and have boyfriends etc, which you apparently can't do with IB.. I think he underestimates my hermit-ness haha but still, is it really that hard?!
    Hey, first of all, the basic rule with the ib is that you work hard and play hard to compensate, it is tough and publicly acknowledged to be harder than A levels but the offers are waay lower for ib people than a level applicants at uni. As your subjects go they sound great, there are a couple of tips I would give you though. If you don't know what you are planning to do when u leave 6th form, don't even think about doing HL maths, our school is the top IB state school but this year 70% of the HL maths cohort dropped out and nobody is on track for anything higher than a 5/6. Unless you are a mathematical genius to the point of lunacy, I would really advise you don't go down that route. SL maths is more like maths A level and studies is a bit less than an AS in difficulty. The same goes for HL physics, it's impossible to get those high marks unless you are an absolute pro, which you may well be given your ums scores for which you deserve congratulating by the way! If you could cope with a configuration more like this I think you may find the course much more manageable:

SL
    History (HL would be impossible without the background knowledge)
    Physics
    Maths (maybe studies unless u wanna do medicine or physics or maths at uni)

HL
    Art
    Spanish (I don't know how good you are but you will come out pretty much fluent)
    English (easy peasy if you have the English knack)

An alternative would be swapping philosophy for your history because that's fairly easy to catch onto.

Seriously the difficulty of the IB is so overrated, think of it as A levels without quite so many free periods, you still get the weekends and Friday nights!

As for good jobs that combine science and art, all that springs to mind is a professional art historian who confirms dating of pictures :P

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5tribal)
    Hey, first of all, the basic rule with the ib is that you work hard and play hard to compensate, it is tough and publicly acknowledged to be harder than A levels but the offers are waay lower for ib people than a level applicants at uni. As your subjects go they sound great, there are a couple of tips I would give you though. If you don't know what you are planning to do when u leave 6th form, don't even think about doing HL maths, our school is the top IB state school but this year 70% of the HL maths cohort dropped out and nobody is on track for anything higher than a 5/6. Unless you are a mathematical genius to the point of lunacy, I would really advise you don't go down that route. SL maths is more like maths A level and studies is a bit less than an AS in difficulty. The same goes for HL physics, it's impossible to get those high marks unless you are an absolute pro, which you may well be given your ums scores for which you deserve congratulating by the way! If you could cope with a configuration more like this I think you may find the course much more manageable:

SL
    History (HL would be impossible without the background knowledge)
    Physics
    Maths (maybe studies unless u wanna do medicine or physics or maths at uni)

HL
    Art
    Spanish (I don't know how good you are but you will come out pretty much fluent)
    English (easy peasy if you have the English knack)

An alternative would be swapping philosophy for your history because that's fairly easy to catch onto.

Seriously the difficulty of the IB is so overrated, think of it as A levels without quite so many free periods, you still get the weekends and Friday nights!

As for good jobs that combine science and art, all that springs to mind is a professional art historian who confirms dating of pictures :P

Best of luck!
    Aw thanks! That's a really great reply! Well I'm fairly good at maths, and if I were doing A-Level I would probably do Further Maths... Though I'm certainly no 'maths lunacy' as you say haha, and I've heard HL maths is ridiculously hard, but we have fairly good teachers and I'll probably want to do something science-y/maths-y in the future.. (Plus, gotta keep up with all the developing world braniac kids! :P)

Unfortunately our school doesn't offer philosophy, but your suggestions sound so much.. more lovely and cosy! :') Hmmm, I'll consider it

Ah good, glad to hear I won't turn into a robot! Thank you muchly!

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I am a new IB student and am in need of some advice!. Currently my subjects are:

English Literature HL
    Psychology HL
    Business and Management HL
    French HL
    Biology SL
    Maths SL

However, I am seriously considering taking IB History. I did not take it at IGCSE level, although I have the OK from several history teachers to do it and catch up. I find History a very interesting subject and regret not taking it before, and I also think it provides some very valuable skills. My problem is that I am unsure of what I want to do after I have finished school; I have considered the fields of Psychology, English/Journalism/Editing.

Would it be worth it to take up this subject from near scratch? Which between Psychology and business would be better to drop for History given my uncertainty of the future? Should I consider it as a seventh subject?

Sorry for all the questions :P I would really appreciate some advice!
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiWafer)

English A1 HL
    German A1 SL
    History SL
    Physics HL
    Math SL
    Vis. Arts HL
    my friends applied to do architecture but does maths studies and doesn't do art at all, but doesn't have any offers as of yet. She has some interviews so I definitely don't think it is necessary for HL maths at all, especially if it isn't your strongest subject.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all - asking on behalf of a friend here
    She wants to do Physics at university, and will have completed her A2 Physics at the start of IB year.
    Her current choices are
    HL Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry/Latin
    SL History
    English
    Latin/Chemistry/French/German

She's not sure about Chemistry or Latin for HL, as she says Chemistry will be really really hard, but Latin has never been taught at our school and it's likely she'd be the only person doing it, so she'd receive 1 to 1 tuition from an excellent teacher.

Would Chemistry or Latin be better for Physics at a top university?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Would Chemistry or Latin be better for Physics at a top university?
    Latin because (a) she already has Maths and Physics HL and (b) one to one tuition from an excellent teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5tribal)

Hey there, I'm a second year IB student so I've already been through most of the pain :P I can tell you that for economics, those options sound fine, I would definitely not take four highers though, I have a friend who is and she is working so hard that its not worth it (you can easily get offers with the normal 3+3 configuration). I suppose it depends on where you want to go, I have offers for Law from several russel group unis with psychology, English and geography as my highers and a really soft group of standards so unless you are aiming for the gold (Oxbridge or the top londons) you can afford to keep your SLs easy. If I were you I would drop either physics or the Japanese to standard because the other two are pretty essential. Drop whichever you aren't as strong at, if it helps, getting a 7 in physics is something people at my school find nearly impossible, and we average 38.9 points here. The standard maths is kind of imperative too so don't drop it to studies, quite a lot of top economics courses place emphasis there. Best of luck with the next two years of your education and know that if you do choose the IB, you've definitely made the right choice because its tough going but makes life so much easier once you're past it.

Will Japanese B Standard look weak on my options as my nationality is Japanese (I'm not full though)?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I am currently doing the IB program in an international school in Singapore. I take HL Chemistry, HL Biology, HL Mathematics, SL Psychology, SL English Language and Literature and SL Chinese Language and Literature. (The course has started just a week ago.) As I am really keen in pursuing Medicine in NUS and I heard that a minimum of 43 points is required in order to be shortlisted for the interview section, I would like to ask a few questions and would really appreciate your help on this.In order to score as high marks as possible, I am considering of dropping HL Mathematics and taking HL English B and SL Mathematics instead (so my new subject combinations will become HL Bio, HL Chem, HL English B, SL Psychology, SL Chinese Lit and Lan, SL Maths). I realize that this subject combination will be much easier for me as I will then have more time to focus on the two HL Science Subjects as well as the EE and TOK. However, I am just wondering 1) Would I be at a disadvantage if I take English as my second language? (I am a Taiwanese by the way.) 2) Will they prefer students who take HL Mathematics? Or is it the overall score that actually matters?(I got A for First Language English and A* for both E-Maths and A-Maths in my IGCSE Examinations last year. However, all my seniors told me that HL Mathematics is extremely challenging so doing well in IGCSE doesn’t mean that you will be good at HL Maths. )Sorry for the long post but I am really desperate for advise now.Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickytu0824)
    Hi,I am currently doing the IB program in an international school in Singapore. I take HL Chemistry, HL Biology, HL Mathematics, SL Psychology, SL English Language and Literature and SL Chinese Language and Literature. (The course has started just a week ago.) As I am really keen in pursuing Medicine in NUS and I heard that a minimum of 43 points is required in order to be shortlisted for the interview section, I would like to ask a few questions and would really appreciate your help on this.In order to score as high marks as possible, I am considering of dropping HL Mathematics and taking HL English B and SL Mathematics instead (so my new subject combinations will become HL Bio, HL Chem, HL English B, SL Psychology, SL Chinese Lit and Lan, SL Maths). I realize that this subject combination will be much easier for me as I will then have more time to focus on the two HL Science Subjects as well as the EE and TOK. However, I am just wondering 1) Would I be at a disadvantage if I take English as my second language? (I am a Taiwanese by the way.) 2) Will they prefer students who take HL Mathematics? Or is it the overall score that actually matters?(I got A for First Language English and A* for both E-Maths and A-Maths in my IGCSE Examinations last year. However, all my seniors told me that HL Mathematics is extremely challenging so doing well in IGCSE doesn’t mean that you will be good at HL Maths. )Sorry for the long post but I am really desperate for advise now.Thank you very much.
    Hey, I'm afraid I don't have time for a long one today so I'm going to have to keep this short. Being a British student, I can't comment on the preferences of the national university of Singapore however the attitude of uk universities may be transferable. Generally it is a point score which is the focus of an offer, with a certain number of points gained at HL. Courses such as maths, physics and economics occasionally ask for HL maths. A HL maths student who has scored highly in the subject may be viewed as preferable to students with weaker HL subjects but for medicine your focus should be in the sciences and I think English would serve you well, considering that English and Chinese are the world trading languages (they keep your options open a bit). But yeah the point score tends to be the focus of universities, I haven't had any friends who have been asked for HL maths for medicine. I hope that helps and by the way your English is fantastic! Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Asking on behalf of another friend here:
    He is considering studying something to do with business/economics, or maybe even physics at uni.
    He's not sure which subjects he should do, so far he is thinking: (I've put what he thinks he will get at GCSE by each subject)

HL Physics / A*
    Economics / doesn't do it
    Geography / A*

SL Maths / A/A*
    English Lit / A
    ab initio Mandarin / doesn't do it (but he will receive a lot of help from Chinese friends if needed)

Would this be best?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Asking on behalf of another friend here:
    He is considering studying something to do with business/economics, or maybe even physics at uni.
    He's not sure which subjects he should do, so far he is thinking: (I've put what he thinks he will get at GCSE by each subject)

HL Physics / A*
    Economics / doesn't do it
    Geography / A*

SL Maths / A/A*
    English Lit / A
    ab initio Mandarin / doesn't do it (but he will receive a lot of help from Chinese friends if needed)

Would this be best?
    For those degrees you really want to be taking HL Maths, probably in place of Geography. Other than that it's fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmac94)
    For those degrees you really want to be taking HL Maths, probably in place of Geography. Other than that it's fine
    Maths is probably the hardest subject though, I think he may struggle a bit

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.