The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey :smile:

I am a new IB student and am in need of some advice!. Currently my subjects are:

English Literature HL
Psychology HL
Business and Management HL
French HL
Biology SL
Maths SL

However, I am seriously considering taking IB History. I did not take it at IGCSE level, although I have the OK from several history teachers to do it and catch up. I find History a very interesting subject and regret not taking it before, and I also think it provides some very valuable skills. My problem is that I am unsure of what I want to do after I have finished school; I have considered the fields of Psychology, English/Journalism/Editing.

Would it be worth it to take up this subject from near scratch? Which between Psychology and business would be better to drop for History given my uncertainty of the future? Should I consider it as a seventh subject?

Sorry for all the questions :P I would really appreciate some advice!
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1041
Original post by SiWafer
Ok, Ill give this another try..
I want to study architecture/art and if I want to go to one of those more prestigious universities abroad then I'd have to get a scholarship. I'm not very good at math, and I'd rather focus on Visual Arts and do English at HL instead. So, considering what I want to do in the future, is Math at SL sufficient? Currently my subject choice looks like this:

English A1 HL
German A1 SL
History SL
Physics HL
Math SL
Vis. Arts HL

my friends applied to do architecture but does maths studies and doesn't do art at all, but doesn't have any offers as of yet. She has some interviews so I definitely don't think it is necessary for HL maths at all, especially if it isn't your strongest subject.
Hi all - asking on behalf of a friend here
She wants to do Physics at university, and will have completed her A2 Physics at the start of IB year.
Her current choices are
HL Maths
Physics
Chemistry/Latin
SL History
English
Latin/Chemistry/French/German

She's not sure about Chemistry or Latin for HL, as she says Chemistry will be really really hard, but Latin has never been taught at our school and it's likely she'd be the only person doing it, so she'd receive 1 to 1 tuition from an excellent teacher.

Would Chemistry or Latin be better for Physics at a top university?
Original post by Bude8
Would Chemistry or Latin be better for Physics at a top university?

Latin because (a) she already has Maths and Physics HL and (b) one to one tuition from an excellent teacher.
Reply 1044
Original post by 5tribal

Hey there, I'm a second year IB student so I've already been through most of the pain :P I can tell you that for economics, those options sound fine, I would definitely not take four highers though, I have a friend who is and she is working so hard that its not worth it (you can easily get offers with the normal 3+3 configuration). I suppose it depends on where you want to go, I have offers for Law from several russel group unis with psychology, English and geography as my highers and a really soft group of standards so unless you are aiming for the gold (Oxbridge or the top londons) you can afford to keep your SLs easy. If I were you I would drop either physics or the Japanese to standard because the other two are pretty essential. Drop whichever you aren't as strong at, if it helps, getting a 7 in physics is something people at my school find nearly impossible, and we average 38.9 points here. The standard maths is kind of imperative too so don't drop it to studies, quite a lot of top economics courses place emphasis there. Best of luck with the next two years of your education and know that if you do choose the IB, you've definitely made the right choice because its tough going but makes life so much easier once you're past it.

Will Japanese B Standard look weak on my options as my nationality is Japanese (I'm not full though)?
Hi,I am currently doing the IB program in an international school in Singapore. I take HL Chemistry, HL Biology, HL Mathematics, SL Psychology, SL English Language and Literature and SL Chinese Language and Literature. (The course has started just a week ago.) As I am really keen in pursuing Medicine in NUS and I heard that a minimum of 43 points is required in order to be shortlisted for the interview section, I would like to ask a few questions and would really appreciate your help on this.In order to score as high marks as possible, I am considering of dropping HL Mathematics and taking HL English B and SL Mathematics instead (so my new subject combinations will become HL Bio, HL Chem, HL English B, SL Psychology, SL Chinese Lit and Lan, SL Maths). I realize that this subject combination will be much easier for me as I will then have more time to focus on the two HL Science Subjects as well as the EE and TOK. However, I am just wondering 1) Would I be at a disadvantage if I take English as my second language? (I am a Taiwanese by the way.) 2) Will they prefer students who take HL Mathematics? Or is it the overall score that actually matters?(I got A for First Language English and A* for both E-Maths and A-Maths in my IGCSE Examinations last year. However, all my seniors told me that HL Mathematics is extremely challenging so doing well in IGCSE doesn’t mean that you will be good at HL Maths. )Sorry for the long post but I am really desperate for advise now.Thank you very much.
Reply 1046
Original post by vickytu0824
Hi,I am currently doing the IB program in an international school in Singapore. I take HL Chemistry, HL Biology, HL Mathematics, SL Psychology, SL English Language and Literature and SL Chinese Language and Literature. (The course has started just a week ago.) As I am really keen in pursuing Medicine in NUS and I heard that a minimum of 43 points is required in order to be shortlisted for the interview section, I would like to ask a few questions and would really appreciate your help on this.In order to score as high marks as possible, I am considering of dropping HL Mathematics and taking HL English B and SL Mathematics instead (so my new subject combinations will become HL Bio, HL Chem, HL English B, SL Psychology, SL Chinese Lit and Lan, SL Maths). I realize that this subject combination will be much easier for me as I will then have more time to focus on the two HL Science Subjects as well as the EE and TOK. However, I am just wondering 1) Would I be at a disadvantage if I take English as my second language? (I am a Taiwanese by the way.) 2) Will they prefer students who take HL Mathematics? Or is it the overall score that actually matters?(I got A for First Language English and A* for both E-Maths and A-Maths in my IGCSE Examinations last year. However, all my seniors told me that HL Mathematics is extremely challenging so doing well in IGCSE doesn’t mean that you will be good at HL Maths. )Sorry for the long post but I am really desperate for advise now.Thank you very much.

Hey, I'm afraid I don't have time for a long one today so I'm going to have to keep this short. Being a British student, I can't comment on the preferences of the national university of Singapore however the attitude of uk universities may be transferable. Generally it is a point score which is the focus of an offer, with a certain number of points gained at HL. Courses such as maths, physics and economics occasionally ask for HL maths. A HL maths student who has scored highly in the subject may be viewed as preferable to students with weaker HL subjects but for medicine your focus should be in the sciences and I think English would serve you well, considering that English and Chinese are the world trading languages (they keep your options open a bit). But yeah the point score tends to be the focus of universities, I haven't had any friends who have been asked for HL maths for medicine. I hope that helps and by the way your English is fantastic! Best of luck!
Asking on behalf of another friend here:
He is considering studying something to do with business/economics, or maybe even physics at uni.
He's not sure which subjects he should do, so far he is thinking: (I've put what he thinks he will get at GCSE by each subject)

HL Physics / A*
Economics / doesn't do it
Geography / A*

SL Maths / A/A*
English Lit / A
ab initio Mandarin / doesn't do it (but he will receive a lot of help from Chinese friends if needed)

Would this be best?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1048
Original post by Bude8
Asking on behalf of another friend here:
He is considering studying something to do with business/economics, or maybe even physics at uni.
He's not sure which subjects he should do, so far he is thinking: (I've put what he thinks he will get at GCSE by each subject)

HL Physics / A*
Economics / doesn't do it
Geography / A*

SL Maths / A/A*
English Lit / A
ab initio Mandarin / doesn't do it (but he will receive a lot of help from Chinese friends if needed)

Would this be best?

For those degrees you really want to be taking HL Maths, probably in place of Geography. Other than that it's fine :smile:
Original post by nmac94
For those degrees you really want to be taking HL Maths, probably in place of Geography. Other than that it's fine :smile:

Maths is probably the hardest subject though, I think he may struggle a bit
Reply 1050
Original post by Bude8
Maths is probably the hardest subject though, I think he may struggle a bit

That's true, but without it your ruling out a huge number of unis for physics/economics degrees. It's worth a try, and of he can't handle HL Maths there's good odds he couldn't handle those maths-intensive degrees anyway.
Ok, I'm trying this again :P
Hey

I am a new IB student and am in need of some advice!. Currently my subjects are:

English Literature HL
Psychology HL
Business and Management HL
French HL
Biology SL
Maths SL

However, I am seriously considering taking IB History. I did not take it at IGCSE level, although I have the OK from several history teachers to do it and catch up. I find History a very interesting subject and regret not taking it before, and I also think it provides some very valuable skills. My problem is that I am unsure of what I want to do after I have finished school; I have considered the fields of Psychology, English/Journalism/Publishing.

Would it be worth it to take up this subject from near scratch? Which between Psychology and business would be better to drop for History given my uncertainty of the future? Should I consider it as a seventh subject?

Sorry for all the questions :P I would really appreciate some advice!
Thanks!
a a
(edited 11 years ago)
Just an information for every non native English speaker considering to participate in the IB Diploma Program: I have talked to my school and it turned out that students taking English B SL were accepted at Oxford and Cambridge without an additional test. There was only one Japanese guy who has not spoken a single word English 18 months ago and Cambridge wanted an additional test. But he was the exception, in most of the cases it was not a problem.
Just an information if you are in this situation. Good luck with your subject choices!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
Original post by Tobi7623
Just an information for every non native English speaker considering to participate in the IB Diploma Program: I have talked to my school and it turned out that students taking English B SL were accepted at Oxford and Cambridge without an additional test. There was only one Japanese guy who has not spoken a single word English 18 months ago and Cambridge wanted an additional test. But he was the exception, in most of the cases it was not a problem.
Just an information if you are in this situation. Good luck with your subject choices!

Really?! That surprises me hugely, I take SL French B and am looking at a grade 6 hopefully - there's no way I'd have the confidence to go an take a degree in France! It says a lot they'd want HL just to study French in England. Seem very odd.
I only wrote what my school said. And going by the fact that the IB is taught in English you have to have a solid understanding of the English language to comprehend what the teacher says. Maybe universities think that a high IB score even with English B SL shows that your English is good enough to study there.
And again I only quote my school, I was suprised too but it seems to be like this although the situation is 'not absolutely crystal clear'.

Original post by Tobi7623
I only wrote what my school said. And going by the fact that the IB is taught in English you have to have a solid understanding of the English language to comprehend what the teacher says. Maybe universities think that a high IB score even with English B SL shows that your English is good enough to study there.
And again I only quote my school, I was suprised too but it seems to be like this although the situation is 'not absolutely crystal clear'.

I know, just surprised, that's all :smile: And yeah maybe if your taught in English too, but I think it can be run in French or Spanish as well.
Hi, I am currently in the MYP program and have to chose my IB subjects soon. Here is what I have decided so far:

HL:
Physics
Computer Science
(Not too sure. Thinking business, chemistry or economics (however it's an online course, such as computer science, so I don't know).

SL:
Math
Spanish Abitio
English

Do you think these subjects are good for wanting to take computer science in university? What should my third higher be? Is chemistry too hard?

I also have NO interest in a UK school, just in the United States. What subjects should I take to get into a technology institue (Caltech/MIT for example)?

Thanks peeps!
:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sailormouse
Hi, I am currently in the MYP program and have to chose my IB subjects soon. Here is what I have decided so far:

HL:
Physics
Computer Science
(Not too sure. Thinking business, chemistry or economics (however it's an online course, such as computer science, so I don't know).

SL:
Math
Spanish Abitio
English

Do you think these subjects are good for wanting to take computer science in university? What should my third higher be? Is chemistry too hard?

I also have NO interest in a UK school, just in the United States. What subjects should I take to get into a technology institue (Caltech/MIT for example)?

Thanks peeps!
:smile:

Take HL Mathematics, it is most important to study Computer Science.

Hi, so I have to choose my IB courses soon and as of now these are the courses I'm currently considering:

HL
Business & Management
Economics
English A1 Lang/Lit

SL
Spanish Ab initio
Math
Biology

I am thinking of entering the business field in uni. Do you guys think that these are the right courses for my career path?
Thank you in advance :~)

Latest

Trending

Trending