The Student Room Group

Living Expenses?

Hi there im trying to work out a budget for my gap year, But i don't know on average how much i will be spending in each country. Flights are roughly £1500, Can anyone link me to a decent site or give me advice on how much it will cost for my accomodation, food, travel on a daily average?

My gap travels consists of:

Australia - 1 month
New Zealand - 1 month
Fiji - 2 weeks
Bali - 2 weeks
Thailand - 3 weeks
Laos / Cambodia - 2 weeks
Vietnam - 3 weeks
China - 3 weeks.

Thanks for any replies!
Reply 1
Bodinator
Hi there im trying to work out a budget for my gap year, But i don't know on average how much i will be spending in each country. Flights are roughly £1500, Can anyone link me to a decent site or give me advice on how much it will cost for my accomodation, food, travel on a daily average?

My gap travels consists of:

Australia - 1 month
New Zealand - 1 month
Fiji - 2 weeks
Bali - 2 weeks
Thailand - 3 weeks
Laos / Cambodia - 2 weeks
Vietnam - 3 weeks
China - 3 weeks.

Thanks for any replies!

Have you worked out where your going to be staying, like in a hostel or something? Or are you going to book it?
Reply 2
In australia me and my 2 friends going will be hiring a camper van for travel and Accomodation, other than that Hostels, the occasional Hotel I'd imagine.
Reply 3
Bump
Reply 4
NZ -

$25 ish a day for hostels x 30 = $750, so about £300.

Everything else, transport, food and activities tops it up to about £1000 for a month. But NZ is a popular place for things like bungy jumping and skydiving so hence that can bump your budget quite a lot.
Reply 5
Thats great thanks. Do you know much about the other countries?
Reply 6
bump
Reply 7
How about having a look at this for an idea?
Reply 8
Ahh that's great exactly what i've been looking for! Think you sir!
Reply 9
Hi- I've been round Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. you're gonna have a great time :smile:
Rooms in thailand cost me AROUND 300 baht a night, Camb was around $5 (double room en suite!) but this varied a lot- got a dorm in Siem Reap for $2 a night, and Vietnam was around $7 for a dorm in HCMC and $7 for a room with two double beds, window & en suite in Nha Trang so it varies a lot. Transport is cheap everywhere, only a few dollars to get across the country by bus. Never paid over $10. Food... in BKK around Kao San road you can get pad thai without meat/prawns for like 20baht (less than 50p), ifyou wanna eat that in a restaurant it's probably gonna cost you around 100-200+ baht. Camb- a meal in a restaurant over $4-5 is quite expensive. Fruit shakes are about $1-1.50.. Moto ride across Phnom Pehn maybe $2 or something... Food in the markets is under $1. Vietnam.. in HCMC the bus is like 3,000 dong.. nothing really (26,000ish Dong is £1). Meal in restaurant is only a few dollars too. I recommend Yellow House Hotel for dorms in HCMC- $7 which is so expensive after Camb but it's nice, met tons of people there and includes free internet and breakfast. Lady on reception is safe :smile: in Phnom Penh avoid the lake area unless you're into drugs/getting drunk every night and enjoy disgusting accommodation. Otherwise stay in Okay Guesthouse or Top Banana. Go to the Olympic market for lunch. Avoid tuk tuks, take motos instead as they are half the price and always always bargain.Also ask the price before you get on and bargain until you agree. It might seem super cheap to you and you might be tempted to not bargain but they really will just rip you off. You'll get used to the prices after a few days. Bottled water is like 50p for 1.5l. Buy the big bottles! Don't waste your time with the small ones!! If you're crossing the border at ARanyaprathet/Poipet into Siem Reap check out my blog post on that: http://bristoltobangkok.wordpress.com/2009/04/24/crossing-the-border-thailand-to-cambodia-via-aranyaprathetpoipet/

Sometimes going on the metre in a taxi in Bangkok will result in you having a fun trip round the city at your expense. Might be better off deciding on a price before. Should probably cost around 150-200 baht to cross the city. Get the bus from the airport if alone, it's really easy and takes you right to Kao San Road. If you wanna stay near KSR but not on it I suggest the Wild Orchid (soi rambuttri), if you don't wanna be around KSR I recommend the HI-Sukhumvit. Try the sky train, it's cool :smile:

Anyway your original Q- I think I spent around £120ish a week in SE Asia which includes transport and visas. :smile: Oh get your Vietnam visa in Camb if you're going there first, and it's probably easier if you get your Camb visa in Thailand if possible, they try to rip you off at the border :smile:

Good luuuuck!

Latest