The Student Room Group

Don't know if i should stay at home or leave for uni?

I stayed with my parents for my first year but there was too much fighting and arguing so i want to move out into the student halls but im scared that i wont be able to live the lifestyle I am used too and my university is in london so the accomidation is on the expensive side.
Go to university, try that new life. Home is always home. I never regretted moving to a new city and trying a new life away from my parents. You will learn alot
When you say you won't be able to live the lifestyle your use to
Is it maybe a situation where you wouldn't be able to live the same lifestyle but find one that you are comfortable living giving you a new chance to explore things
Also even if you might not be able to have the exact life style you want maybe being away from the arguing and fighting might make it worth while
@Rosalina x12

The focus needs to be on your studies rather than on whether you get you to maintain a specific lifestyle.

In general, students have to learn how to manage their finances. It's a large part of the student experience and a key step in becoming more independent. It might be an opportunity to grow your life skills when it comes to budgeting.

London is expensive so I can understand about accommodation but other students will also be experiencing the same financial concerns

You might have to decide whether you can manage staying at home by spending more time at the library and by trying to talk to your parents about how the arguing has affected you this year or whether you need to move out for your own emotional wellbeing and studies.

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by Rosalina x12
I stayed with my parents for my first year but there was too much fighting and arguing so i want to move out into the student halls but im scared that i wont be able to live the lifestyle I am used too and my university is in london so the accomidation is on the expensive side.

Hi @Rosalina x12

It's great to hear from you, and this is a very genuine concern. Many people are nervous about moving away from home and living a different sort of lifestyle, so you are definitely not the only person worried about this!

When I first moved away from home, it was definitely a learning curve to get used to living on my own, like managing my own finances, meal planning, cooking and just having to completely organise my own time. And although it was a little tricky for the first few weeks, it was so rewarding to realise that living away from your parents can be so freeing, and you genuinely do learn really quickly how to deal with these changes.

You say that the expense of living away from your parents might be a concern have you looked into student loans, or considered getting some part-time work? You could even ask your preferred university if they have any extra financial support like bursaries or scholarships that you might be eligible for. Things like this can help ease the financial strain of living on your own, so definitely worth looking into it!

Overall, there is no right or wrong answer. Ultimately, you need to ask yourself where you would be happiest: continuing living with your parents (and possibly changing some things to avoid the arguments, like talking to them about it or going to the library more as the University of Huddersfield rep suggested), or if you would be happier living away from home and adapting to this new lifestyle. The fact that it will be different should not put you off it is certainly a change, but I personally thought it was worth it! Plus, if it really doesn't work living away from home, you can always move back again the next year!

If you have any other questions at all, please let me know and I'll be happy to help! :smile:
Amie (a third year University of Southampton Official Rep)
Original post by Rosalina x12

Hi there,

I think that university is an amazing experience especially living in the student halls, lots of people find it hard to adjust and it can certainly be expensive, but remember that everyone living there is having to pay the same amount so you are all in the same boat. There is a big learning opportunity to be taken from moving out and living alone.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Digital ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending