The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hiphopopotamus
Why do you don't use grammer?

Why, I'd imagine for much the same reason you don't 'use' spelling.
Reply 21
A friend of mine just didnt like how it made her act. That soon changed halfway though this year at uni.
Reply 22
A friend doesn't cos hes muslim
Reply 23
I started drinking at houst partys when I was 11.

I'm 21 now, drinking got boring. I save money, can still have a good time without the booze.

I'll probably start drinking again at some point, but I'm in no hurry to go back to the sauce.
Reply 24
One girl I know just wants to be 'different', I suppose... it's annoying when she tries to take the higher ground over it. She labelled herself as 'straightedge' once...
Another girl is Christian, though nowadays she'll have a couple of drinks... she just doesn't get wasted.
I didn't used to drink because my mum was a bit of an alchy, plus I guess I just wanted to be awkward and different. Then I got over it.
I just like having a clear mind, I think the Buddha had it right with the fifth moral precept: "Refrain from taking intoxicating substances which cloud the mind and cause carelessness." I just don't see it as at all necessary, ever.

Edit: I'm not saying that therefore I do it for a religious reason, I just think that that specific religious teaching sums up my attitude quite well.
Reply 26
Preeka
I'm very self-reliant so I don't like the feeling of not being under control and at someone else's mercy really and the idea of being absolutely hammered isn't appealing. I just think drinking is best within limits.

I thought I was the only one.
Plus, it's got a lot of sugar in it, which is a no-no, for moi. :frown:
Never cared for it. Never had it. Prefer to spend money on other things, and drink other things (mmm, Ribena :biggrin:)

Also, seen far too many people having bad experiences :s-smilie: I don't like the whole "dunk" part of drinking.
Reply 28
Im allergic :frown: not majorly but can generally only have 1 unit so tend not to drink at all.
makes me sick
beer and wine taste disgusting
tonnes of calories too
oh_adele
I thought I was the only one.

I didn't notice the post you were quoting and can't be bothered to go back to find it but it's exactly the same for me, I don't see why people would want to lose some degree of control over their bodies. :confused:
Profesh

Lmao. That's stupidly humiliating :colondollar:
I drink a little, but usually only for special occassions. And even then maybe just a small glass of wine.

I just don't much like the taste, and I really don't like the way it makes me feel. I can't stand being out of control, and I have seen my friends when they're drunk and I would hate to be in that situation.

So I am the designated driver, or the friend that makes sure they get home safely if they get themselves into that state (which they don't do so much now) and I really don't mind this job :yep:
Mostly, I just haven't found any alcohol that I like the taste of. Also, my mother was an alcoholic, so that kind of scares me a bit...
Reply 34
obsessivex
I didn't notice the post you were quoting and can't be bothered to go back to find it but it's exactly the same for me, I don't see why people would want to lose some degree of control over their bodies. :confused:

Well, I was branded a judgemental, control freak in another thread for not wanting to experiment with drugs. But, I'd rather that than have no control at all. I could imagine nothing worse than not knowing where I was, who I was with, or how to get home.
Profesh

lol That made me chuckle slightly.
oh_adele
Well, I was branded a judgemental, control freak in another thread for not wanting to experiment with drugs. But, I'd rather that than have no control at all. I could imagine nothing worse than not knowing where I was, who I was with, or how to get home.

I actually saw that but didn't really want to get into it. I canot agree more, the idea of not being clear about anything like that for even a few seconds terrifies me.
Reply 37
oh_adele

I didn't bother reading that thread because I knew if I posted that would happen to me. I assume its full of people boasting about the drugs they've taken?
Anyone I know has always been moral reasons. They either don't like alcohol or don't like what it does to people. A guy I dated a few years back though was all strictly tee-total and ramming his morals down other people's throats, then went to uni and started drinking :rolleyes:

I don't drink much now though, got bored of it tbh.
I'm giving up alcohol :dontknow: I hate what I become when I drink, and I have so so many regrets because of stuff I've done, that I would never ever do while sober, it's got me into some terrible situations and I hate the way I became reliant on it for a while :dry:
Personally I think I have to go teetotal now :nn:

Latest

Trending

Trending