Turn on thread page Beta

Why do you/someone you know don't drink alcohol? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hiphopopotamus)
    Why do you don't use grammer?
    Why, I'd imagine for much the same reason you don't 'use' spelling.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine just didnt like how it made her act. That soon changed halfway though this year at uni.

ReputationRep:
    A friend doesn't cos hes muslim

ReputationRep:
    I started drinking at houst partys when I was 11.

I'm 21 now, drinking got boring. I save money, can still have a good time without the booze.

I'll probably start drinking again at some point, but I'm in no hurry to go back to the sauce.

ReputationRep:
    One girl I know just wants to be 'different', I suppose... it's annoying when she tries to take the higher ground over it. She labelled herself as 'straightedge' once...
    Another girl is Christian, though nowadays she'll have a couple of drinks... she just doesn't get wasted.
    I didn't used to drink because my mum was a bit of an alchy, plus I guess I just wanted to be awkward and different. Then I got over it.

ReputationRep:
    I just like having a clear mind, I think the Buddha had it right with the fifth moral precept: "Refrain from taking intoxicating substances which cloud the mind and cause carelessness." I just don't see it as at all necessary, ever.

Edit: I'm not saying that therefore I do it for a religious reason, I just think that that specific religious teaching sums up my attitude quite well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preeka)
    I'm very self-reliant so I don't like the feeling of not being under control and at someone else's mercy really and the idea of being absolutely hammered isn't appealing. I just think drinking is best within limits.
    I thought I was the only one.
    Plus, it's got a lot of sugar in it, which is a no-no, for moi.

ReputationRep:
    Never cared for it. Never had it. Prefer to spend money on other things, and drink other things (mmm, Ribena )

Also, seen far too many people having bad experiences I don't like the whole "dunk" part of drinking.

ReputationRep:
    Im allergic not majorly but can generally only have 1 unit so tend not to drink at all.

ReputationRep:
    makes me sick
    beer and wine taste disgusting
    tonnes of calories too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    I thought I was the only one.
    I didn't notice the post you were quoting and can't be bothered to go back to find it but it's exactly the same for me, I don't see why people would want to lose some degree of control over their bodies. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Lmao. That's stupidly humiliating

ReputationRep:
    I drink a little, but usually only for special occassions. And even then maybe just a small glass of wine.

I just don't much like the taste, and I really don't like the way it makes me feel. I can't stand being out of control, and I have seen my friends when they're drunk and I would hate to be in that situation.

So I am the designated driver, or the friend that makes sure they get home safely if they get themselves into that state (which they don't do so much now) and I really don't mind this job :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Mostly, I just haven't found any alcohol that I like the taste of. Also, my mother was an alcoholic, so that kind of scares me a bit...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obsessivex)
    I didn't notice the post you were quoting and can't be bothered to go back to find it but it's exactly the same for me, I don't see why people would want to lose some degree of control over their bodies. :confused:
    Well, I was branded a judgemental, control freak in another thread for not wanting to experiment with drugs. But, I'd rather that than have no control at all. I could imagine nothing worse than not knowing where I was, who I was with, or how to get home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    lol That made me chuckle slightly.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I was branded a judgemental, control freak in another thread for not wanting to experiment with drugs. But, I'd rather that than have no control at all. I could imagine nothing worse than not knowing where I was, who I was with, or how to get home.
    I actually saw that but didn't really want to get into it. I canot agree more, the idea of not being clear about anything like that for even a few seconds terrifies me.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't bother reading that thread because I knew if I posted that would happen to me. I assume its full of people boasting about the drugs they've taken?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone I know has always been moral reasons. They either don't like alcohol or don't like what it does to people. A guy I dated a few years back though was all strictly tee-total and ramming his morals down other people's throats, then went to uni and started drinking :rolleyes:

I don't drink much now though, got bored of it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I'm giving up alcohol :dontknow: I hate what I become when I drink, and I have so so many regrets because of stuff I've done, that I would never ever do while sober, it's got me into some terrible situations and I hate the way I became reliant on it for a while :dry:
    Personally I think I have to go teetotal now :nn:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.