The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Kagutsuchi
I'm quite confused when it comes to suicide in Catholicism. I have quite a few catholic friends and some say it's okay only if the person is going through quite a lot of hardship and suffering and this impairs their ability to reason, while others say that it is wrong in any aspect as it is a mortal sin. :erm:

Clarify please. :cute:

EDIT: Okay.

Ok, what about in a zombie apocalypse where you've been bitten and you kill yourself instead of turning into a zombie and killing other people? Mortal sin?

Did you just read World War Z?
If zombie apocalypse happens, surely that is the work of Satan? Surely if Satan is involved, then your responsiblity is diminished?
For some reason this scenario's not in the Cathecism. Quick, someone call the Magisterium!
Reply 23
Darkness123
Did you just read World War Z?

No.
The catholic church believe it's a mortal sin against god.
emmie19
Not according to the Catholic Church. Appartly you go to hell or libibo (as a inbetween of heaven and hell) according to them. The Church is totally pro-life... therefore it's seen as a sin.

Don't confuse limbo and libido! :p:

btw: read my posts here and thr Church has 'reunderstood' teachings on limbo- declaring unbaptised infants to go to heaven (which is what limbo was meant to be for)
Reply 26
The catholic church believes that that's one of the most serious sin. Of course i don't agree but, trust me, they think so. The catholic church never accept the suicide, also in serius condition like irreversible coma. Do you ever heard about Eluana Englaro? http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/italian-coma-womanrsquos-death-ends-berlusconirsquos-bid-to-keep-her-alive-1605508.html
That's terrible and that is one of the reason because i don't like the catholic church.
Reply 27
Kagutsuchi
I'm quite confused when it comes to suicide in Catholicism. I have quite a few catholic friends and some say it's okay only if the person is going through quite a lot of hardship and suffering and this impairs their ability to reason, while others say that it is wrong in any aspect as it is a mortal sin.

Clarify please.

EDIT: Okay.

Ok, what about in a zombie apocalypse where you've been bitten and you kill yourself instead of turning into a zombie and killing other people? Mortal sin?
As far as I know, suicide is a mortal sin for which there is no redemption; it is one of the utimate acts of blasphemy because the human body was described by Christ as a temple to the Lord. The Bible also tells us that this temple must be treated with the utmost respect at all times.

Though I'm sure there may be one or two circumstances where it might be forgivable; those where the result of such an act might be the salvation of others' lives. Or allowing yourself to be killed for your faith in God rather than recant it.

Latest

Trending

Trending