The Student Room Group
Reply 1
"MM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Anyone know if morning/afternoon/lunch breaks are included in teacher's directed hours? How are[/q1]
[q1]> these hours worked out, are they at the[/q1]
discretion
[q1]> of the Head or the LEA? Thanks for any help. Marg, York.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

We have just been sorting out directed time. Lunch breaks are not included.

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.374 / Virus Database: 209 - Release Date: 09/07/2002
Reply 2
In article <[email protected]>, "MM"
<[email protected]> writes:

[q1]>Anyone know if morning/afternoon/lunch breaks are included in teacher's directed hours? How are[/q1]
[q1]>these hours worked out, are they at the discretion of the Head or the LEA? Thanks for any help.[/q1]
[q1]>Marg, York.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

I would be interested about breaks, as well. Currently, us teachers have to serve 2 duties per week
(not the HT or DH, although the DH is the designated "fill in" when anyone's out).

Lunch breaks, I know, are supposed to be complete non-contact time. But you're only truly entitled
to 30 minutes by labour law, my HT claims.

----------------------------------------------------
Sandi

Remove NoSpam to reply.
Reply 3
[email protected] (SLieber24) burbled:

snip

[q1]>Lunch breaks, I know, are supposed to be complete non-contact time. But you're only truly entitled[/q1]
[q1]>to 30 minutes by labour law, my HT claims.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
I thought it was a 20 min break if you worked 6 hours.

--
Sheila :-D (Delete all to mail.)
Reply 4
"MM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q1]> Anyone know if morning/afternoon/lunch breaks are included in teacher's directed hours? How are[/q1]
[q1]> these hours worked out, are they at the[/q1]
discretion
[q1]> of the Head or the LEA? Thanks for any help. Marg, York.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>The position is absolutely clear. Lunch times are not directed time and you[/q1]
cannot be required to do anything during them. Breaks are directed time and you can be required to
do duties etc. It is part of the law relating to teacher's conditions rather than general employment
law. If anyone disputes this in school, contact your trade union.

Cliff
Reply 5
In article <[email protected]>, "Clifford Griffiths"
<[email protected]> writes:

[q2]>> Anyone know if morning/afternoon/lunch breaks are included in teacher's directed hours? How are[/q2]
[q2]>> these hours worked out, are they at the[/q2]
[q1]>discretion[/q1]
[q2]>> of the Head or the LEA? Thanks for any help. Marg, York.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>>The position is absolutely clear. Lunch times are not directed time and you[/q2]
[q1]>cannot be required to do anything during them. Breaks are directed time and you can be required to[/q1]
[q1]>do duties etc. It is part of the law relating to teacher's conditions rather than general[/q1]
[q1]>employment law. If anyone disputes this in school, contact your trade union.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Ah. So the slavery of teaching in the UK continues. We're entitled only to 20 minutes' break during
the entire school day. I can hardly wait until the end of next year!

----------------------------------------------------
Sandi

Remove NoSpam to reply.
Reply 6
There is NO law on how long the break is. The only indication is that it must be "reasonable". That
word again!! There have been attempts to get the law clarified on this - misguided attempts, as
they will result in the best practice being ignored and some arbitrary median being established
(maybe a half hour, which is half my current time). Negotiation at workplace is the answer, but
that can be impeded by having to include parents, feeder schools, etc in the deliberations. Try
going home to feed the dog as a test of reasonable. If you cannot get home and back in time then
the break is too short!!

As for breaktimes, they exist in law as comfort breaks for the children, not for the staff who must
(of course) remain ever vigilant.

"SLieber24" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q1]> In article <[email protected]>, "Clifford Griffiths"[/q1]
[q1]> <[email protected]> writes:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >> Anyone know if morning/afternoon/lunch breaks are included in[/q2]
teacher's
[q2]> >> directed hours? How are these hours worked out, are they at the[/q2]
[q2]> >discretion[/q2]
[q2]> >> of the Head or the LEA? Thanks for any help. Marg, York.[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >>The position is absolutely clear. Lunch times are not directed time and[/q2]
you
[q2]> >cannot be required to do anything during them. Breaks are directed time and you can be required[/q2]
[q2]> >to do duties etc. It is part of the law relating[/q2]
to
[q2]> >teacher's conditions rather than general employment law. If anyone[/q2]
disputes
[q2]> >this in school, contact your trade union.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Ah. So the slavery of teaching in the UK continues. We're entitled only to[/q1]
[q1]> minutes' break during the entire school day. I can hardly wait until the[/q1]
end of
[q1]> next year![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> ----------------------------------------------------[/q1]
[q1]> Sandi[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Remove NoSpam to reply.[/q1]

Latest

Trending

Trending