The Student Room Group

Access to Midwifery HE Diploma Advice..

I'm 32 years old, I only have standard grade qualifications (except from math) and considering studying the Access to HE Midwifery Diploma with Learn Direct.

I'm wondering if anybody knows if the diploma itself is enough for me to gain entry to uni, or do I also still need a GCSE / National 5 Level in Maths & English? (I already have standard grade English but unsure if this is expired)

I'm also wondering if it would be a good idea to take one A-Level / Higher in the same year I study the diploma. Or would this be unrealistic/ too much work for one year?

I'd appreciate any advice! Would especially love to hear thoughts from anyone else who has studied the diploma.

Thanks 😊
Original post by Clarey1706
I'm 32 years old, I only have standard grade qualifications (except from math) and considering studying the Access to HE Midwifery Diploma with Learn Direct.

I'm wondering if anybody knows if the diploma itself is enough for me to gain entry to uni, or do I also still need a GCSE / National 5 Level in Maths & English? (I already have standard grade English but unsure if this is expired)

I'm also wondering if it would be a good idea to take one A-Level / Higher in the same year I study the diploma. Or would this be unrealistic/ too much work for one year?

I'd appreciate any advice! Would especially love to hear thoughts from anyone else who has studied the diploma.

Thanks 😊

What do you specifically want to study at university? Midwifery?
Note I haven't done any Access diplomas from Learn Direct, but a number of people in the forum have done. You can search for these threads should you wish.

For any standard bachelor's degree, you would be required to have the necessary GCSEs and the appropriate Level 3 qualification(s). The grade and subject requirements for the Level 3 qualification can vary from uni to uni, but the GCSEs/Nationals subjects tend to be consistent for numeracy (Maths) and literarcy (English Language) even if the grade requirements vary. I would check with the specific unis whether your GCSE/Nationals are still accepted despite the time gap - they should be.

An Access course is the equivalent of a full time course (35-40 hours a week). Whilst it's possible to do the GCSE/National or A Level on top of the diploma, it's going to be a bit intensive, especially if you have other commitments in your life e.g. kids, work. A standard A Level requires 300 hours of study (600-700 recommended with revision) - this can work out to be another 10-20 hours a week.

I would check the entry requirements of the specific degree that you want to do first (they tend to be exhaustive in the details you need to know). Chances are if you're doing Midwifery, you should be fine with just the Access course and you should be able to use the GCSE/Nationals that you already have. If you're not particularly sure, you can contact the undergrad admissions personnel of the life science department of the uni that you intend to apply to.
If you want help with the above, let me know which specific courses that you want to do (ideally with the links).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending