Personal Statement - History of Art

History of Art Personal Statement

I wish to study History of Art because I have a growing curiosity for the historical context of not only fine art, but all types of images and artefacts. I became conscious of this whilst visiting Paris three years ago, and was intrigued by the idea that pieces of art had such significant visual histories that they could give us a direct insight into world cultures, both ancient and modern. It was after seeing the extravagance of the Hall of Mirrors and the Baroque trompe l'oeil ceiling paintings in the Palace of Versailles that my interest in art history began to develop, particularly towards Renaissance and Baroque art, and religious architecture. It has continued to amaze me that the culture and practices of entire civilisations can be revealed through a single painting, sculpture or image.

Art is intertwined with all aspects of my life, and as an art student I have always regularly visited museums, exhibitions and art galleries. One of my current favourites has been the Light Show at the Hayward Gallery, because it was the first time I saw artwork use light as a primary medium, and I was struck by the way this light was manipulated to shape virtual space. By frequently going to exhibitions I feel that I have developed an awareness of visual culture on a global scale, and improved my ability to critique artwork. However, I also enjoy reading about the progression of art through history and what inspired certain movements and artists themselves. I was especially interested by a talk I attended by Yinka Shonibare and Ekow Eshun at the Human Rights Action Centre, on the influence of post-colonial Britain on art and culture, as it left me questioning the ways in which globalisation has affected contemporary art. I have a particular interest in feminism within art history, and so I wrote my Extended Essay on the way in which gender influences the aesthetic value of visual art. It helped me develop valuable research skills, and delve into the works of art critics and historians such as John Berger and Linda Nochlin - I was fascinated by their ideas on the role of gender and how it affects positions of power within art.

My passion for art carries on outside of my academic study, and I always strive to expand my knowledge of art, as well as my own artistic abilities. This year I co-created and ran an art club within my school, and also participated in a weekly life drawing course, in order to hone my drawing skills and develop a better understanding and sensitivity to the human form.

I have had the privilege of having travelled extensively, and after having Chinese calligraphy lessons and visiting the Forbidden City and Temple of Heaven on a recent trip to China, I could appreciate the exposure I have had to different cultures. I was able to recognise, first hand, the typical features in oriental architecture; the focus on bilateral symmetry; the emphasis of the width rather than height of buildings; and the repeated use of certain colours such as red, gold and green, which are considered lucky in China. It was incredible to see these structures in person, and compare them to the western architecture that I am used to.

In my spare time I am a keen photographer, as I developed an enthusiasm for photography while completing my Silver Arts Award, and began collecting various kinds of film cameras to practice with. I use photography to capture things that inspire me and often incorporate it into my art work. I also have a passion for film, and am a member of my school's film club, as well as having previously been a member of a French film club. I found this invaluable in bettering my French language skills, and also getting an insight into French independent film and visual culture. I know that doing an undergraduate degree in the History of Art would present me with the perfect opportunity to achieve my aspirations, as I aim to work in art dealership or in the curating industry.

University of Cambridge (History of Art) - Offer (40 IB points, 776 at HL) Firm

Courtauld Institute of Art (History of Art) - Offer (35 IB points, 666 at HL) Insurance

University of Edinburgh (History of Art) - Offer (38 IB points)

University of Warwick (History of Art) - Offer (34 IB points)

University of Manchester (History of Art) - Offer (34 IB points)

Philosophy (HL) - 7

Visual Art (HL) - 7

English Literature (HL) - 7

Biology (SL) - 6

Maths Studies (SL) - 5

French Ab Initio (SL) - 5

Core points: 3

Total: 40