Personal Statement - French and German 1

Languages Personal Statement 1

One person who has been particularly influential in developing my interest in languages was the linguist Harold Williams (1876-1928). He was able to speak 58 languages fluently, and was the only person able to converse with every delegate of the League of Nations in their own language. I admire him, as I am a firm believer that one should always make an effort to communicate with a person in their native language

As British people develop increasing links with people from other countries in terms of culture, business and economics, the need to communicate accurately and fluently with such people in their own language is becoming increasingly important. This is the primary reason for my wanting to study for a joint honours degree in French and German

My passion for learning languages developed after I was first introduced to French at primary school and then developed further as I enjoyed my GCSE studies. Accordingly, I did not hesitate in choosing them as my A-Level options. I hope studying this degree will enable me to further develop my knowledge and language skills so I can gain employment as a translator or interpreter

I used my school work placement to gain experience of work in a company providing translation services. During this time, I helped teach foreign languages, translating documents and learned about the interpretation process. I enjoyed my experience and found it beneficial to my studies

I am a school Prefect. I also enjoy participating in out of school activities. I was responsible for designing and constructing the set for the last school drama. In addition, I have participated in numerous school 'European Evenings' in which participants perform sketches, each representing a different European country. I found both extremely enjoyable and rewarding. They offered me an opportunity to work as part of a team: something I feel is important in communication

Outside school, I have a part-time job working in the chain store Argos. I enjoy having a job as it gives me independence and self-responsibility. I also have numerous correspondences with young people from France and Germany with whom I regularly communicate in their own language. I find this improves my vocabulary and language skills

Overall, I think I am well suited to University life. My choice of subject study and work experience makes me confident that I am well prepared to cope with the amount of work required.