Electronic engineering degree personal statement example (1b)

Why Engineering? Because for me it is a subject which combines the beautifully concise methods of mathematics with the logic of sciences; it has and still will play the most important role in humanity’s technologic advancement. From an early age I developed a strong passion for electronic devices and computing, and lead to my deep interest in electronic engineering. To me engineering is about solving problems, designing processes and making products to improve the quality of life for other people.

From a young age I have had a keen interest in maths and science. My passion for these started from the Horrible Science series and others, which lead me to read “Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You” by Chown during year 12, which was a fascinating introduction to quantum theory and relativity. Throughout AS physics I have learnt how the laws of physics can be applied to real life and work out problems, this has given me a much broader understanding of the world and made it possible for me to understand the many processes affecting it and how engineering is vital for society.

During my gcse time, I read “Fermats Last Theorem” and I was astounded by how simple maths can be used in innovative ways. During my time at Wilson’s I have experienced the thrill of having complex maths problems to do, having received a silver certificate in the Senior Maths Challenge, I enjoy doing problems similar to this and finding the delicate device which will enable me to solve the question. I attended STEP sessions after school to further develop my skills to become an able mathematician and has helped prepare me for the challenge of university maths which will be key to engineering.

Furthermore, I adore making experiments to demonstrate or to build upon simple physics ideas e.g. Archimedes’ principle can be demonstrated easily with a beachball getting pushed down into the surface of water in a swimming pool. This particular interest came to me after watching shows by Dr. Bob Friedhoffer when I was young, and from my time in gcse I have kept a log book of experiments I have done hope to start an educational science website soon to pass on my enthusiasm for the subject to people of all ages. My passion for physics helped me think of innovative ways of applying physics to make an experiment for the “Paperclip Challenge”, where my group’s project on invisibility was one of the winners.

My main interest in electronic engineering is in nanotechnology, and hope to be a professional in this field. I was hooked by the subject itself after reading an article on the internet a couple of years ago and also an article on Feynman in the magazine ‘ChemNet’. During year 12 I learned the importance of semi-conductors for a chemistry essay, outside of school I learnt about superconductors and S.Q.U.I.Ds and they’re applications. I was fascinated by how the superconductors worked and realized how much of a vital role chemistry plays in nanotechnology. So, Chemistry was an appropriate A-level choice as it has helped me appreciate chemical systems at an atomic level.

As mentioned before one of my main interests is computing. I particularly enjoy using Flash and started making web sites to earn money. In my one week at ‘IT Partnership’ in North Cheam, I learnt more about computer hardware and helped build a batch for a school. I have taught myself how to change computer components on my own and fix simple problems.

I’m a member of St Johns Ambulance, currently working towards getting a qualification. I believe this has taught me how to calmly analyse a situation and react; how to take control and lead a team as well as being a good team player. I enjoy playing football and cricket, having trained with Worcester Park cricket club. In my old school I was head boy and a mentor, and I am a maths prefect at Wilson’s.

I feel that I am capable of accepting the challenge of a demanding university course and that my open-minded and passionate attitude will make a success of the course.