Spoiler

B5

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
1993 I C9

1 part

2 part

(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone have any idea where I can find the answers to the 1999 and 2002 papers? the papers are here http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/oxb.htm
Reply 23
Original post by dnumberwang
Anyone have any idea where I can find the answers to the 1999 and 2002 papers? the papers are here http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/oxb.htm

I did them, so could compare answers.
Reply 24
Original post by ben-smith

Original post by Farhan.Hanif93

Original post by dnumberwang

DFranklin

1995 Paper I Question B5

I though this one was a bit different to B2,B3 (which are bookwork tbh). Not totally confident of my waffly solution. So would appreciate anyone checking it, and if correct please add it to the first post Farhan.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ben-smith
1994 paper I B5

Spoiler

You have 1/Det A, not Det A (you should not have taken the reciprocal).
Original post by twig
1995 Paper I Question B5

I though this one was a bit different to B2,B3 (which are bookwork tbh). Not totally confident of my waffly solution. So would appreciate anyone checking it, and if correct please add it to the first post Farhan.

Spoiler

Looks good to me- I jsut worked through it without looking at your solutions so it's interesting to see where we were different: I did part b) using (alpha,beta)=(1,-1). I think part e) is much shorter than you made it: d is defined as the min such that d>0, and r=<d-1. Hence r=<0. But we know r>=0 from c). Hence r=0.

On part c) I said Choose λN\lambda \in \mathbb{N} such that λdp<(λ+1)d\lambda d \leq p<(\lambda+1)d and it quickly follows

Finally, on part d) I said d=prλd=\frac{p-r}{\lambda} and equated that with the first equation they gave i.e. prλ=αp+βq\frac{p-r}{\lambda}=\alpha p + \beta q
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by TheMagicMan
Looks good to me- I jsut worked through it without looking at your solutions so it's interesting to see where we were different: I did part b) using (alpha,beta)=(1,-1). I think part e) is much shorter than you made it: d is defined as the min such that d>0, and r=<d-1. Hence r=<0. But we know r>=0 from c). Hence r=0.

On part c) I said Choose λN\lambda \in \mathbb{N} such that λdp<(λ+1)d\lambda d \leq p<(\lambda+1)d and it quickly follows

Finally, on part d) I said d=prλd=\frac{p-r}{\lambda} and equated that with the first equation they gave

Thanks for checking.:smile:.

(Maybe I'm failing to see something obvious, but...) For part e): "d is defined as the min such that d>0, and r=<d-1. ... ... Hence r=<0", how you deduce that "r=<0" for the first part? Surely d does not always have to be 1 for all p and q?
Comments inline, in red.

Original post by twig
1995 Paper I Question B5

Spoiler

Original post by twig
Thanks for checking.:smile:.

(Maybe I'm failing to see something obvious, but...) For part e): "d is defined as the min such that d>0, and r=<d-1. ... ... Hence r=<0", how you deduce that "r=<0" for the first part? Surely d does not always have to be 1 for all p and q?
If r < d, and r > 0, it would not be true that "d is defined as the minimum ... with d > 0".
Looks good to me- I jsut worked through it without looking at your solutions so it's interesting to see where we were different: I did part b) using (alpha,beta)=(1,-1). You need to be careful here - it could happen that this gives d < 0.
Original post by DFranklin
You need to be careful here - it could happen that this gives d < 0.

Yeah I know. Considering that p and q are symmetric in this problem I assumed WLOG that pqp \geq q and proved the stronger result that dpd \leq p or q q
(edited 12 years ago)
If r < d, and r > 0, it would not be true that "d is defined as the minimum ... with d > 0".

What I should have said is where the minimum is greater than zero not d
You have 1/Det A, not Det A (you should not have taken the reciprocal).

Oh yeah. good point.
Thank you
Yeah I know. Considering that p and q are symmetric in this problem I assumed WLOG that pqp \geq q and proved the stronger result that dpd \leq p or q q
You could still have d = 0 though. (I haven't seen what you actually wrote, so you may have ruled that out). It's definitely simplest to just go with α=1,β=0\alpha = 1, \beta = 0.
You could still have d = 0 though. (I haven't seen what you actually wrote, so you may have ruled that out). It's definitely simplest to just go with α=1,β=0\alpha = 1, \beta = 0.

I would agree with that- there's no doubt that it's better to use 1 and 0: I was just noting what I had different
Reply 36
Comments inline, in red.

Thanks for the clarification (the first part was a typo; correct it to p=p'c on initial post).
Original post by twig
I did them, so could compare answers.

right here are mine

Reply 38
Hi guys. I'm new to TSR but I'm so grateful for these solutions.
Could you explain how you got the answer to 1994 A1 (iv)? Thanks a lot
Reply 39
I also disagree with your solution to 1994 A1 (vi). I'm not sure if I'm being stupid, but I get the minimum value as -1 and max value as 73/8.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending