The Student Room Group

How Did Emma Watson DO IT.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
oh come on guys, give the girl some credit
Whoever says 'Tutors' is a ******* idiot, why? Tutors can only take you so far. It's all her personal intelligence.
Reply 62
The jealousy on this thread is amusing.
GCSE 8A*s, A Level 3As, Cambridge, talented, good looking!!
No wonder people are jealous. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 63
Being rich helps. Ask Cameron's front bench.
Reply 64
LawBore
Being rich helps. Ask Cameron's front bench.

LOL. The Bullingdon photos say it all.
Reply 65
She's intelligent, and beautiful.

Spoiler

i wish i was her lol
Reply 67
Everyone says she is intelligent and beautiful ...you forgot the important bit: and RICH
well
Reply 69
Maybe she used the Imperius curse on the examiners.
Reply 70
I did slightly better at a bog-standard state school.

I pwns hermyown
She's Hermione, what do you expect?
Reply 72
"ginger kid" Hahaha! Undoubtedly, you mean Rupert Grint and he didn't go onto further education after high school. Daniel Radcliffe stopped education after AS's and I think got A's.

Emma is a smart lass. Very pretty, too and looks awesome on her Burberry campaign.
_Fleur_
No doubt you know a lot more about the courses on offer at Cambridge than I do, just something I read...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/harry-potter/5653289/Emma-Watson-to-take-three-year-break-from-acting-after-Harry-Potter.html

'English and Art course'? And yes, even if it is just English she's going to be reading, then her acting credentials would still hold considerable weight in a personal statement or as a topic of conversation in an interview. If she'd been offered a place to study say, Veterinary Medicine, it would be a different story entirely.

Well, an English and Art course doesn't exist - at least there's no page about it in the undergraduate courses section of the Cambridge University website, and I've never met anyone studying it.

I don't know whether or not you're been through the Cambridge admissions system, but there is a very common misconception amongst those who are unfamiliar with the system that activities not directly relating to the course being applied for are of considerable importance, when in reality the interest of the admissions staff is almost exclusively in academic potential. Extracurriculars can be useful to demonstrate that a student is capable of time management (doing other things alongside being academically sucessful) but they're not really that interested in what you are when you're not studying.
Reply 74
Cambridge does not offer an Arts course. Im pretty sure she applied for Philosophy, and didnt get in.
davidac
No, it cannot buy intelligence, but it can buy you a good education. I went to an average state school in the northeast, where 42% of the school achieved 5 or more A*-C grades at GCSE. There is a public school in Berkshire whose average pupil in 2003 achieved 10 A* grades. To say that the school you go to makes no difference to your intellectual development would imply that the kids sent to every public school in the country just so happen to be 'more intelligent' than the kids going to state schools in the northeast. That's clearly not true. How clever you emerge from the school you went to all depends on how well the school stimulates you intellectually, how much they push and encourage you over the years, and so on. Public schools are paid vast amounts of money by the pupils' parents to make damn sure that their kids are pushed to their limits intellectually, that they achieve their full potential, and that they're kept on the straight and narrow. Not sure whether you've ever set foot in a state school or not, but state schools simply do not provide these things to even nearly the same extent.

If you cannot understand this, you're either a massive thick ****, or, you actually attend a public school.
I got 10 A*'s, and know quite a few people from state schools that did also, but we're the exception rather than the rule. The typical pupil at my school achieved rather disappointing exam results (and my school was by no means a 'bad state school' even on a national level), and this is because the school sucks compared to a public school. If you cannot understand this then I've lost all hope for you.

:biggrin:

Why bother replying to me? You reinforced my argument in the first sentence. I am a massive thick ****, by the way.

If your replies to a reasoned argument is filled with personal contempt, it demonstrates my point that you lack the mental capacity to attain 8 A*s; nevermind 10. If you achieved what you say you have, well done. Clearly you must be more alert than you seem to be here.

I have attended both state schools and public schools. Thanks for giving me your insight into my life. Greatly appreciated.

If you cannot attend a public school, please apply to a grammar (state) school which is equally as good.

Furthermore, GCSEs do not require teaching, you can just buy those CGP books or the board textbooks which if memorised correctly should get you an A/A*.

Also on the topic, have you ever attended a public school? How can you make these generalisations then; without personal experience. The best public schools in the country: Eton, Harrow School, Haberdashers', Westminister, etc. They all have entrance examinations where from an excess of 1000 very capable people, a mere 100-150 are accepted. They are selective of the best students in the first place. Whereas the state school you have said above, is postcode criteria and a lot of people will be attending who will not want to be there (they will not revise), so bringing down these results anyway. Your intelligence is merely furthered but it is always there in the first place (not in your case might I add). If you are capable, you are capable from anywhere.

As I said, you should have tried a grammar school if you felt so disadvantaged.

Grow up and refrain yourself from such inane comments. It also seems to be that you are jealous of Emma Watson, don't be.
Reply 76
Chumbaniya
Well, an English and Art course doesn't exist - at least there's no page about it in the undergraduate courses section of the Cambridge University website, and I've never met anyone studying it.

I don't know whether or not you're been through the Cambridge admissions system, but there is a very common misconception amongst those who are unfamiliar with the system that activities not directly relating to the course being applied for are of considerable importance, when in reality the interest of the admissions staff is almost exclusively in academic potential. Extracurriculars can be useful to demonstrate that a student is capable of time management (doing other things alongside being academically sucessful) but they're not really that interested in what you are when you're not studying.

No, I'd never heard of such a course either. The Telegraph evidently has no idea what it's talking about.

I haven't, although I'm planning on applying in September and I know a thing or two about how it works, including the importance of academic potential relative to unrelated extracurriculars. However, there are surely some exceptional cases? Emma Watson's professional acting experience hardly falls into the same category as being a school prefect or captain of the hockey team. Nor is it completely unrelated to the sort of qualities they are likely to be looking for in an English Undergrad. In fact, as part of the English course, you get the chance to work on films in your third year. I do see what your saying, yet I refuse to believe that her role in Harry Potter wasn't a factor when the admissions tutors were deciding whether or not to offer her a place.
Reply 77
Note Chumbaniya said activities not directed related to the course. If acting is directly related to the course, it probably did help her then. Also please note that Emma Watson is a special case. For the average joe, even doing things directly related to the course probably does not help TOO much. This depends on the college/DoS. My DoS did not care about my PS, having read it only 5 mins before the interview to use it as a talking point for the interview. This is because he had little ability to check any claim made. Note this may not be true for every college and subject.

Eitherway, Im pretty sure she didnt get in. If she did, then cant wait to see her next year.
Reply 78
MB2Z
Note Chumbaniya said activities not directed related to the course. If acting is directly related to the course, it probably did help her then. Also please note that Emma Watson is a special case. For the average joe, even doing things directly related to the course probably does not help TOO much. This depends on the college/DoS. My DoS did not care about my PS, having read it only 5 mins before the interview to use it as a talking point for the interview. This is because he had little ability to check any claim made. Note this may not be true for every college and subject.

Eitherway, Im pretty sure she didnt get in. If she did, then cant wait to see her next year.

Yes, that's exactly my point. Did you even read my post?

And she did indeed get an offer. It's pretty common knowledge, and she's reinforced it herself in a number of interviews. Whether she accepted it, or is going to Yale, however, is a different question.
Reply 79
Yeah i did subsequently read your post carefully and realised i just repeated what you said, but i couldnt be arsed to change it.

I know anything about Emma Watson. But hopefully she chooses Cambridge then.

Quick Reply

Latest