The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I love Durham's modifier :smile:
Reply 21
durham dont do modifier for ppe :frown: how upsetting, 8a*s 3as and 1b in a state school they would have loved me lol
Reply 22
u should aim higher!
They all seem fine to me - maybe substitute number 5 (since you've put them in order of preference) with one higher choice? That's usually how it goes... one that's a bit high, three that roughly match what you want, and one insurance.
Reply 24
hey
wen applying for oxf ,can i add the other choices later? after the 15 th of oct?
mevi
hey
wen applying for oxf ,can i add the other choices later? after the 15 th of oct?

Minerva

I don't know but I've quoted someone who might be able to help. Hope that's OK!
Reply 26
I'd say you're pretty much dead on.
Reply 27
If anything I don't think you're being ambitious enough
Not ambitious enough.
Reply 29
yusufzee
GCSE: 2A 7B 1C
AS: AAAB
Prediction for A-level: A*AA
Reference and Personal statement are completed and ready to send.

Choices(in order of preference):
1. Birmingham
2. Leeds
3. York
4. Sheffield
5. Liverpool

Honest thoughts please on whether this is a suitable list.:smile:

Thank you

As you have Maths And Economics grade A I am pretty confident of you getting offers at any uni outside the TAELT top 11. So, yes it is very competitive inside the top 11, but you could easily 'afford' 1 or 2 choices in the top 11. And I don't know why you are applying to ABB unis like Sheffield and Liverpool especially when they are going to be in Extra.
mevi
hey

Yes, you can add other choices through track, subject to the normal rules/deadlines.
Reply 31
xmarilynx
They use a modifier to give an overall score for applicants' GCSE performance, which takes their school into account. So if the OP comes from a low achieving school they'd still stand a chance.

Edit: Although for Economics they do like see A*s in English and Maths, so :unsure:

How does the modifier work by the way? I have seen my school has a modifier of 2.7 but I dunno how to work it out with my grades :s-smilie:
x_LiNk_x
How does the modifier work by the way? I have seen my school has a modifier of 2.7 but I dunno how to work it out with my grades :s-smilie:

You get 1 point for each A*, and 0.6 or each A grade. Add them all together, add your school's modifier on top of that, and that's your score. They then compare that score with everyone else, which is one factor used to assess candidates.

Latest

Trending

Trending