The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4980
Is anyone aware of how many offers Durham have given out?
Really hoping they still have the majority still to give out...
Reply 4981
beckyax
Yeah I am going too. Would you recommend UCL if i receive an offer over Bristol and Nottingham? Is either Bristol or Nottingham better for economics in your opinion?

UCL is in the top 5 for economics; Bristol and Nottingham aren't.
beckyax
Yeah I am going too. Would you recommend UCL if i receive an offer over Bristol and Nottingham? Is either Bristol or Nottingham better for economics in your opinion?

UCL are basically in a totally different league to Bristol or Nottingham tbh.
beckyax
Yeah I am going too. Would you recommend UCL if i receive an offer over Bristol and Nottingham?

Well again I would advise visiting the place and see if it is the correct location for you to live in for 3 years. But yes UCL are top for econ whilst Bristol and Notts are not. So I would find it hard to turn UCL down.

beckyax
Is either Bristol or Nottingham better for economics in your opinion?

For me that is not the significant factor.
phil28
Is anyone aware of how many offers Durham have given out?
Really hoping they still have the majority still to give out...

Nope I am still waiting for a likely rejection. :frown:
They said in a e-mail to me they hope to get all offers and rejections back before the end of feb.
Good Luck.
Reply 4985
I really hate how paranoid and nervous this UCAS system makes me. As soon as I sent it off I started worrying I'd aimed too high and the longer responses take the more I think that it means bad news.
I'm glad they're looking at changing the system, I think it needs a revamp.

Still, looks like I'm in for a long wait with Warwick and Edinburgh :frown:
phil28
I really hate how paranoid and nervous this UCAS system makes me. As soon as I sent it off I started worrying I'd aimed too high and the longer responses take the more I think that it means bad news.

UCAS system is still great deal better than the student recruitment in my country, where only grades on your final exams count...Still, changes are inevitable :smile:
Reply 4987
Paulwhy
Well again I would advise visiting the place and see if it is the correct location for you to live in for 3 years. But yes UCL are top for econ whilst Bristol and Notts are not. So I would find it hard to turn UCL down.

For me that is not the significant factor.

Thank you for your help, for me i just a decision as to whether (if i get a place) i want to live in london for 3 years over somewhere else, as i live nearby currently, and then making an overall decision as i do know that UCL is better than my other choices! but i do think it would be hard to turn down UCL!
phil28

I'm a gap year student.
GCSE: 4 stars and 6 A's
A-level: 4 A's in Maths, History, Chemistry and Physics.
Not impossible to get an offer if my reference and PS were pretty damn impressive, but I guess that chance would be fairly remote...

Where did you apply to?
and any offer so far?
But yes given the lack of economics and only 4 A*s at GCSE, I can see why you are concerned.
Hannah_sasuri
UCAS system is still great deal better than the student recruitment in my country, where only grades on your final exams count...Still, changes are inevitable :smile:

Why inevitable?
Reply 4990
Apparantly so I hear from my friend whose dad has links with the Warwick econ department they are looking for 9 A*s at GCSE. Seems quite harsh!
mattx10
Apparantly so I hear from my friend whose dad has links with the Warwick econ department they are looking for 9 A*s at GCSE. Seems quite harsh!

Not to sound unsympathetic but it is just a question of supply and demand.
Reply 4992
Paulwhy
Where did you apply to?
and any offer so far?
But yes given the lack of economics and only 4 A*s at GCSE, I can see why you are concerned.

I've applied to Bristol, Durham, Warwick, Edinburgh and Birmingham with offers from Bristol and B'ham so far and not heard from the others yet.
I was pretty surprised Bristol gave me an offer seeing as what a lottery their admissions seems to be.
If you're interested why I didn't take economics at A-level it was because my school had a pretty shoddy department and I saw the teachers as a bit of a joke.

Oh, and I did get an A* in maths at GCSE if that matters.
phil28
I've applied to Bristol, Durham, Warwick, Edinburgh and Birmingham with offers from Bristol and B'ham so far and not heard from the others yet.
I was pretty surprised Bristol gave me an offer seeing as what a lottery their admissions seems to be.
If you're interested why I didn't take economics at A-level it was because my school had a pretty shoddy department and I saw the teachers as a bit of a joke.

Well given that you have offers from Bristol and Birmingham, then I don't think you over applied! :smile:
Reply 4994
I know it's rarely wise to start thinking about 'what if's?' but would the general consensus be to go to Warwick if i got an offer to go there, go to Durham if I didn't get Warwick and go to Bristol if I don' get Warwick or Durham? (Based purely on the academic qualities and graduate prospects alone (i.e. not thinking about locational values))
phil28
I know it's rarely wise to start thinking about 'what if's?' but would the general consensus be to go to Warwick if i got an offer to go there, go to Durham if I didn't get Warwick and go to Bristol if I don' get Warwick or Durham? (Based purely on the academic qualities and graduate prospects alone (i.e. not thinking about locational values))

You are correct: it's rarely wise to start thinking about 'what if's?'. :smile:
But I would not be able to order Durham and Bristol.
When are we gonna hear stuff from LSE or Warwick?
terence911121
When are we gonna hear stuff from LSE or Warwick?

March?
Reply 4998
Paulwhy
Not to sound unsympathetic but it is just a question of supply and demand.

Yeah I guess since Warwick is a RRC university on the alternative tables :yep:
Reply 4999
phil28

You may have a problem with Warwick and your GCSE A* count but best of luck :smile:
& congrats on Bristol&Birmingham :yep: Both great places!

Latest

Trending

Trending