The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
Original post by adam0311
Ya! Fellow lawyer. Is Durham your number one?

Awesome! Did you get the letter by post?

Yup, then track updated a couple of days later. I got so excited, thought there might be another offer...but no, just durham updating the college confirmation.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Still no change on AES.

Oh well. Maybe another day :biggrin:
Original post by Muffinz
Still no change on AES.

hold tight muffinz...also quick question. when u applied first time round did u ever go to kent campus??
im feeling a lot calmer about not hearing from durham, as much as id die of amazement if i went to durham, im coming to terms with fact i should try get into aberyswyth and if not maybe kent.
think iv done what u did first time round and not really applied to places i particular wanna go to (aber and durham aside)
Original post by Muffinz
Still no change on AES.

also... have u applied to northwestern?
Original post by moomin-matt
hold tight muffinz...also quick question. when u applied first time round did u ever go to kent campus??
im feeling a lot calmer about not hearing from durham, as much as id die of amazement if i went to durham, im coming to terms with fact i should try get into aberyswyth and if not maybe kent.
think iv done what u did first time round and not really applied to places i particular wanna go to (aber and durham aside)

I never went to visit, no. I think I would have ended up going if I had seen it (and had the foresight to apply for accomodation). It was all very rushed and stressful after results day and I thought a gap year would be better so I could get my thoughts collected.

I definitely recommend visiting them though. I'm entirely sure I'd go to any of my choices and be happy, and I think that's how it should be for everyone.

I only visited RHUL and Exeter because I was debating between them as a firm choice. Plus, you know, the travel out of Cornwall was kind of awkward... you understand lol

also... have u applied to northwestern?

Almost! I've got my first draft of the essay, I need my teachers to complete their side of the application and I'm sitting the SAT on the 4th of December.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Muffinz
I never went to visit, no. I think I would have ended up going if I had seen it (and had the foresight to apply for accomodation). It was all very rushed and stressful after results day and I thought a gap year would be better so I could get my thoughts collected.

I definitely recommend visiting them though. I'm entirely sure I'd go to any of my choices and be happy, and I think that's how it should be for everyone.

I only visited RHUL and Exeter because I was debating between them as a firm choice. Plus, you know, the travel out of Cornwall was kind of awkward... you understand lol

Almost! I've got my first draft of the essay, I need my teachers to complete their side of the application and I'm sitting the SAT on the 4th of December.

o goodness when i lived in plymouth the only open day i ever went to was RHUL only because my friend lived in staines.
im dunno why i have a bad feeling about kent, i cant think why though.

how does one afford usa uni? is it expensive? i'd always thought (maybe incorrectly) that it was crazy expensive. if it wasnt i would so of applied to usa universities haha. northwesterns an awesome one though.
o goodness when i lived in plymouth the only open day i ever went to was RHUL only because my friend lived in staines.
im dunno why i have a bad feeling about kent, i cant think why though.

how does one afford usa uni? is it expensive? i'd always thought (maybe incorrectly) that it was crazy expensive. if it wasnt i would so of applied to usa universities haha. northwesterns an awesome one though.

Just go visit it, I'm sure your fears will be assuaged. One of my friend's girlfriend is actually a fresher this year for the English Lit course (she added me on FB incase I decided to go to Kent too), and she's really enjoying it.

It IS crazily expensive - the two schools I'm applying to give a hefty aid package if you're admitted (Chicago cover 100% of the demonstrated need for living costs and tuition). It's a punt, but one which will pay off if they like me. If they decide that they won't give me any money, I'm not under any obligation to attend. I always have Leeds/Liverpool, afterall :biggrin:
Original post by Muffinz

It IS crazily expensive - the two schools I'm applying to give a hefty aid package if you're admitted (Chicago cover 100% of the demonstrated need for living costs and tuition). It's a punt, but one which will pay off if they like me. If they decide that they won't give me any money, I'm not under any obligation to attend. I always have Leeds/Liverpool, afterall :biggrin:

awesome. if i get into aber and rejected from durham
I would try study abroad in USA. They have link with the most awesome college called. Green Mountain College in Vermont its beautiful and it has a farm!! haha ooooo aaaar
Reply 1148
Got a conditional offer here and a letter in the post this morning from St. Cuth's to go to an open day!

All this is for education studies & maths.. it's all looking so tempting because I had written Durham off as a 5th choice if I changed my mind on career path but it all looks so lovely.
Original post by alexx :)
Got a conditional offer here and a letter in the post this morning from St. Cuth's to go to an open day!

All this is for education studies & maths.. it's all looking so tempting because I had written Durham off as a 5th choice if I changed my mind on career path but it all looks so lovely.

I've got an offer for St Cuth's for Education with english :biggrin:
Original post by playxsailxliv
Very cool =] Yeah I do! I was so happy when I got it I absolutely love durham. I specified university college, how about you?

Ah wow congratulations on your offer :smile: I specified St. Chad's, but really I'd be happy anywhere in Durham. I just wish they'd hurry up now and decide as it's a contender for my first choice. Have you applied for the same language combination elsewhere?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by allbritishgirl
Wow, well done. You must be one of the first natural sciences offer on here. When did your status change to be sent to a college, because for me it has been over a month (sent on 13th October) and it is still at the department! :frown:

Thanks!
It was sent to college 2 weeks ago
though my friend got an offer last week for natural sciences there!
Reply 1152
How long does it tend to take to go to the department after being received by the university?
Original post by LukethePianoMan
WOO, the songs are actually amazing tbf! Stuff for every mood!
I have only mastered the one I am doing now, I tried number 1 book 1 but the fugue is really hard!
ye, the debussy piece is nice and easy and apparently I play it well, though I make too many mistakes when playing, and apparently and I am expected to play flawlessly

It is mainly the fugues that are horrific, for me! The preludes are relatively okay, but once I attempt a fugue I end up getting so frustrated and angry with Bach, who clearly had hundreds of fingers or something, haha! :mad:

Also congrats on your offer!
Original post by edjaru
Yup, then track updated a couple of days later. I got so excited, thought there might be another offer...but no, just durham updating the college confirmation.

Where does Durham actually list the college confirmation on UCAS?
Original post by BeckyIsOptimistic
Ah wow congratulations on your offer :smile: I specified St. Chad's, but really I'd be happy anywhere in Durham. I just wish they'd hurry up now and decide as it's a contender for my first choice. Have you applied for the same language combination elsewhere?

Thank you =]. Well kinda all my other courses were just French & Russian.
Original post by darkestskies
It is mainly the fugues that are horrific, for me! The preludes are relatively okay, but once I attempt a fugue I end up getting so frustrated and angry with Bach, who clearly had hundreds of fingers or something, haha! :mad:

Also congrats on your offer!

Ive managed to do this one fugue, but its meant to be an easy one! Bach was probably an octopus, or a creature like the organ player in Pirates of the Carribean!
And cheers :smile:
Original post by bubbaa
How long does it tend to take to go to the department after being received by the university?

Only a few days I think!
Reply 1158
received a letter from the Caste/University College today:biggrin: yay
Reply 1159
Original post by LukethePianoMan
Only a few days I think!

It seems to be taking ages!
Well done on your offer :smile:

Latest