The Student Room Group

how do you get up early in the morning? methods/tips

So I'm finding it hard to get up in the mornings (I go to school but somewhat sporadically, due to my timetable)

I have exams in Jan and am finding it particularly difficult to get up at anytime before 12pm and start revision, and I'm often told that you're most stimulated during the daytime hours... and if I do manage it, I feel extremely sick, angry and disgruntled...

Please let me know any tips/method that help you to wake up, when you know it isn't for school.

thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I put my alarm clock at the other side of the room so I have to get out of bed to turn it off, then I start doing something active (walk around the house a bit, eat something) straight away. Don't go back to bed, even to sit in it, even for a MOMENT. Once you get started doing some work it's ok, it's just starting in the first place that's hard.
Reply 2
an alarm clock?
Reply 3
I find if you down a pint of water before bed you tend to wake up when you need to use the loo. If you intercept the path between bed and toilet with a kettle you should be fine!
Reply 4
I put my alarm for an hour earlier than I have to get up so I get a lie-in.
Reply 5
Uhmm..

I like to trick myself by turning the clock forward by like 10minutes. So when I wake up I **** myself into getting ready...but then when I get downstairs and see the time it is a great feeling...
Reply 6
Yeah i put my alarm far away.
If that doesn't work i just litrally roll out of bed till i hit the floor. That will definetly wake you up.
*watches*

Missed wayyyy to many uni lectures because can't wake up...I'm sleeping through my alarm and everything!
This is going to sound patronising, so apologies in advance. :o: Do you go to bed at a reasonable time? (i.e. before 23:00) I know that I always find it so much more difficult to get up if I go to bed at a silly hour.

Failing that, a really loud and annoying alarm clock which is left in a place where you have to get out of bed to turn it off. I have one of the old-style ones with bells on it which is not only loud enough to make me physically get out of bed, but probably gets my whole close up too. :colondollar:
Reply 9
Force yourself to jump out of bed then do some exercise like running on the spot or doing press ups, or go straight to the bathroom and splash cold water on your face or jump in the shower. Whatever you do make sure you jump out of bed when your alarm goes off before you have the chance to think '5 more minutes' or 'nah i don't need to get up just yet'.

Try jumping straight out of bed tomorrow morning.
Reply 10
Original post by Tech
I find if you down a pint of water before bed you tend to wake up when you need to use the loo. If you intercept the path between bed and toilet with a kettle you should be fine!

care to elaborate?

(and I do also use your first suggestion but I still somehow manage to sleep through it and wake up in the afternoon needing to go reallyyy badly!)
Reply 11
Go to bed earlier, I get up for work at 4:45am and don't find it too difficult.
Put a really annoying song as your alarm tone then you have to wake up to turn it off :wink:
I have an alarm clock next to my bed that is also an ipod dock so i choose a really annoying song as my alarm clock sound so I have to wake up to turn it off :biggrin: and I also have an alarm on my phone set for 5 minutes after my alarm clock on the other side of the room so I have to get up to turn it off.
You just FORCE yourself to get up, no matter how painful it is. If the will is there, you don't need techniques.
Reply 15
I find if I rub the sleep out of my eyes I'm less likely to go back to sleep. That and setting the alarm earlier than I need to be up so I have the feeling of a lie-in.
Reply 16
Original post by thewiseone
care to elaborate?

(and I do also use your first suggestion but I still somehow manage to sleep through it and wake up in the afternoon needing to go reallyyy badly!)

so you can set it boiling for coffee :wink:

shame the water trick doesn't work well for you though, hope you find something which does!
I know this is rather blunt.. but maybe go to bed earlyer the night before?
Alarm clock on the other side of my room but the real genius part is the glass bottles and cans all over the floor so a mad run isn't possible unless I want to seriously hurt myself. :cool:
Reply 19
http://www.firebox.com/product/1913/Clocky

If this thing doesn't get you out of bed, then nothing will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending