The Student Room Group

Girls and Guys (and any others also) Has real feminism died?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SoulfulBoy
The last century was greatly important regarding women rights and the idea of what feminism was could be clearly seen. What is feminism doing today? Don't misinterpret me, .....

to me its not as apparent as it was in the 19th/20th centuries..back then it was a bitch.

I personally hope feminism is finished...can you imagine all/most women as feminists??

NO sex, just CONSTANT bickering and bugging guys about men being wrong and all their crap...

I personally hate feminists.
Original post by JGR
It sounds to me like you don't understand what science is.
Social associations (ie. gender) are neither decoupled from genetic sex nor exempt from science.

Sure. You can talk about anything regarding science. You can talk about love as chemical reactions in the brain, you can talk about death in terms of the biological body, and you can talk about women in terms of genetics. I just don't think it gets us very far, looking at them in this way. The scientific perspective on these things doesn't interest me, and I don't find them particularly helpful.

Original post by JGR

That contradicts just about everything else you've said so far.

What do you think I've been saying so far?
Reply 102
Original post by Ellim

Original post by Ellim
I'm sorry - Ocassus and I were not debating that there were biological or neurological differences between men and women, but rather that men produce more results at work.

Academically hardcore? You know that Sex on the Brain was written by a journalist right?

That partially ties into it also. As one can argue that maths and the sciences have more practical use than English etc. [And I am doing English A level and intend to study it at uni, so don't bite my head off].
Reply 103
I'm signing off for today.
Feminists in this thread don't understand that semantic rebuttals are a slippery slope only fit for utterly inept scholars with delusions of grandeurs.
Feel free to read the peer reviewed material I've provided, or just open a philosophy book.

And to think I once considered teaching Gender Studies as a career... I'm just not prepared for the sheer retardedness...

For those who didn't understand.

Gender stems for a subjective perspective inherited from DNA, as DNA codes for a sex-specific nervous system (peer reviewed sources in posts above).

Thus men and women have distinct genders, with distinct characteristics, as their brain does not share the same modus operandi.

We can conclude that an external attempt at forcing a woman's psyche onto a man's psyche goes against natural bio-neurologic layout, which implies that :
a) It may not work
b) It may backfire
c) It may work in different and unexpected ways (transgenders, gays, asexuals, Justin Bieber, whatever...) Gays probably resulting from a residual friction between both psyches provoked by socialization (Aristotle's Zoôn Politikon) - there is no scientific proof of this, so it's just a hunch.

More precisely, the Hypothalamo-Hypophysial complex secretes gender-specific hormones (LH, FSH, Testosterone, Progesterone, Oestrogens etc.) that prolong the gender-specific bio-neurologic layout of the brain onto other parts of the body (bewbs, cawk), thus creating a sexually distinct human entity.

We may conclude from above points that Men and Women are equal in the same way an Apple and a Pear are equal : the former are Homo Sapiens, the latter Fruits.

Feminism is thus total BS.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 104
Original post by missygeorgia

On the contrary, Science is what has got the human race where it is today. [Mostly]. Soooo...
Original post by IlexBlue
First off, I'm only talking about Britain here. Before others pounce on me and talk about other countries.

And, well... yeah, I think so. "Women, get back in the kitchen!" jokes and banter aside, I don't really see any need for a feminist movement now.

Women now have the exact same rights and opportunities as men have. Hell, maybe even more, what with the desperate, constantly-trying-to-be-PC society we live in. If anyone were to discriminate against a women in anyway, they'd have the book thrown at them quicker than you can say "lawsuit." You don't really see any sexism anymore, and a woman is free now to do anything she wants. I don't see a point in it.

this is so untrue it's not even funny.

watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N4M3TIsGM0

i don't believe britain/western society is much different.

sexism is very much accepted in this society.

if i told a black person, "N-er, go pick some cotton" i would be screwed. however, people constantly make "get in the kitchen" jokes and a lot of people find them funny and acceptable.
Original post by ipulledhermione
Feminism, imo, really ought to be in the face of protecting womans image and expectation in society as those are where women in the western world are largely misrepresented. Of course feminism is alive, i hope it is. Women are often forced in to a corner by their own 'liberated' interests. Especially nowadays after being objectified by all those around her she now objectifies herself.

I'm not well. I'll get back to this later.

Heh heh, well, I'm certainly not complaining when a fairly fair piece of fair comes around my way and decides she wants to do a little ol' poledance for me as, according to her, it will help "liberate" her sexuality and whatever else...

I'm just enjoying the view, myself. :shades:

Yes, that's a totally valid distinction, if you read the Daily fricking Mail.

Otherwise, that's a complete misrepresentation of feminism, on both accounts. Facepalm.

Giggedty. :colone:

Also, I still don't get what Feminism about. True equality is what it says on the tin: equality in every single conceivable and inconceivable way. That's a pipe dream, at best.

Equality seems to have taken on this definition of, "well, we'll just give the women de facto right to say and do almost whatever they want to a man and yet it can't be done the other 'round". That speaks to me of hypocriscy.

Actually, that's probably not very clear. To put it to you another way, if a woman slaps a man then the man should be able to slap the woman right back. No ifs, not buts. Essentially, "slap a hoe if she's being a bitch; smack a man if he's being a bastard". It's Feminism defined.
Original post by Ocassus
That partially ties into it also. As one can argue that maths and the sciences have more practical use than English etc. [And I am doing English A level and intend to study it at uni, so don't bite my head off].

Genuine advice here- English degrees are chock full of feminism. Pretty much everything I've argued on this thread I've learned from my English degree, and the theories I've cited are highly respected in the world of English Literature. Just something for you to think about.
Reply 108
Genuine advice here- English degrees are chock full of feminism. Pretty much everything I've argued on this thread I've learned from my English degree, and the theories I've cited are highly respected in the world of English Literature. Just something for you to think about.

That explains it. You know nothing about nothing, since you majored in English.
There are no theories in English Literature, since there is no scientific approach.

You're just blabbering uneducated opinions. Oh God. I'm going to go mad.

I have a Business degree. Do I tell Nuclear Physicists they are wrong ? No !

Holy **** this is beyond repair.
The last century was greatly important regarding women rights and the idea of what feminism was could be clearly seen. What is feminism doing today? Don't misinterpret me, I know there are still few groups fighting for that, but I cannot see the same spirit of the last century. Feminism as a whole has been reduced to attend some irrelevant meetings with no real future or participating in the Day of Women (it means that we reckognize women fully for a day and then we forget about it). Where is the feminism today? Has the X Factor,soap-operas kind of television programmes, female magazines and another **** destroyed it? Let's start a hot debate:smile:

There isn't as much spirit because there doesn't need to be, women have achieved many of the goals that they set out on achieving through feminism. Now is the time for feminism to start up in religious countries where women have different rights and more rules than men.
Original post by Krov
That explains it. You know nothing about nothing, since you majored in English.
There are no theories in English Literature, since there is no scientific approach.

You're just blabbering uneducated opinions. Oh God. I'm going to go mad.

I have a Business degree. Do I tell Nuclear Physicists they are wrong ? No !

Holy **** this is beyond repair.

hush now.
Reply 111
hush now.

You have to be the best or the worst troll ever.
English degree. Gods...
Reply 112
Sexes don't have 'innate characteristics'. The whole idea that there is anything innate about sexuality is disproven by the existence of homosexuals, bisexuals, transexuals, drag queens, transvestites, asexuals, masculine women, feminine men, hermaphrodites, career women, house-husbands. There is absolutely nothing innate about gender. Gender is a complete construction. Read some queer theory, it will completely blow your argument out of the window.

Also, since you say you don't dismiss gender studies, I can reassure you that any respectable gender studies scholar or writer would laugh in your face if you told them there's no point in decontructing gender.

You really really really need to do soem basic research into physical biological and psychological differenced between men and women. Because its pretty clear yo have a very VERY limited understanding of the topic.

Don't bother replying to me because I won't read it but your arguments are a joke and really show a lack of understanding
Original post by Eclectic Styles
Heh heh, well, I'm certainly not complaining when a fairly fair piece of fair comes around my way and decides she wants to do a little ol' poledance for me as, according to her, it will help "liberate" her sexuality and whatever else...

I'm just enjoying the view, myself. :shades:

Giggedty. :colone:

Also, I still don't get what Feminism about. True equality is what it says on the tin: equality in every single conceivable and inconceivable way. That's a pipe dream, at best.

Equality seems to have taken on this definition of, "well, we'll just give the women de facto right to say and do almost whatever they want to a man and yet it can't be done the other 'round". That speaks to me of hypocriscy.

Actually, that's probably not very clear. To put it to you another way, if a woman slaps a man then the man should be able to slap the woman right back. No ifs, not buts. Essentially, "slap a hoe if she's being a bitch; smack a man if he's being a bastard". It's Feminism defined.

I don't think many feminists would advocate double standards like that, I certainly wouldn't. Most people I've seen advocating them are men, actually.
Reply 114
Original post by pippa90
There isn't as much spirit because there doesn't need to be, women have achieved many of the goals that they set out on achieving through feminism. Now is the time for feminism to start up in religious countries where women have different rights and more rules than men.

Someone being reasonable at last.
Original post by Aj12
You really really really need to do soem basic research into physical biological and psychological differenced between men and women. Because its pretty clear yo have a very VERY limited understanding of the topic.

Don't bother replying to me because I won't read it but your arguments are a joke and really show a lack of understanding

Absolutely, I would be the first to admit that know **** all about science. Which is why I'm not making a scientific argument. I genuinely don't understand what the problem is here.
Feminism as a whole has been reduced to attend some irrelevant meetings with no real future or participating in the Day of Women

Yes of course its reduced in vocality - BECAUSE equality has made lots of progress. Feminist traditions are still alive and well in lots of academia, well, anthropology anyway.
Original post by Krov
Someone being reasonable at last.

Why thank you :smile: I started to read some of the other posts but then stopped as people were having 'I'm smarter than you dumbass' wars :tongue:
I don't think many feminists would advocate double standards like that, I certainly wouldn't. Most people I've seen advocating them are men, actually.

Doesn't really require any advocation, to be honest. In much the same way that many women that ascribe to the beliefs of so-called "Feminism" by its popular definition, with "sexual liberation" being one rather deliciously ironic part, many men have taken to this rather odd view on "modern chivalry" which is pretty much a self-imposition of strong misandry that has worked its way into modern Western society in the last, ohhh...say five hundred years or so-- give or take a few decades?

Then again, I am a guy, so I could way totally biased in that respect. It seems odd to me, however, in a society where "equal rights" between the sexes is the way forward, that men and women can't seem to agree on what actually is equality.
Absolutely, I would be the first to admit that know **** all about science. Which is why I'm not making a scientific argument. I genuinely don't understand what the problem is here.

Hot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending