The Student Room Group

Sick of rejection!!

I am getting really tired of being rejected from graduate schemes that I know I would be good at. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong - my CV is tweaked for every role I apply for and looks professional, I'm doing well at Oxford, I have great A levels (and GCSEs, not that that should matter by this point!) and plenty of work experience and proper employment. And I still never get past the first or second round... it's so disheartening, as based on my academic career and relevant experience for the various roles I've applied for I'm a strong candidate. I'm so confused!

I knew that applying for grad schemes would be like a lottery, but I thought if I applied for a good few I'd have a chance with some of them! I feel like I've wasted so much of this vital term in my final year at university, the forms take ages and have really affected my academic work.

Is anyone else on here feeling like this? What can I do?
I thought this was going to be about romantic rejections, where I could post "Yeah, I know what you mean" or something equally sympathetic.

But now I find my self posting on a thread I know nothing about.

I feel lost...
If it makes you feel better, I wouldn't reject you. :nah:
There's mass unemployment across Europe and USA.

This failed economic system started throwing people overboard years ago
Reply 4
Original post by FkatF
I am getting really tired of being rejected from graduate schemes that I know I would be good at. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong - my CV is tweaked for every role I apply for and looks professional, I'm doing well at Oxford, I have great A levels (and GCSEs, not that that should matter by this point!) and plenty of work experience and proper employment. And I still never get past the first or second round... it's so disheartening, as based on my academic career and relevant experience for the various roles I've applied for I'm a strong candidate. I'm so confused!

When you say you're failing at first/second round could you be more specific about what you mean (i.e are you talking about assessment centres, interviews, etc.) ?
You are going for investment banking it's always going to be tough even though you go to Oxford. I say you just have to lift yourself up and get on with it.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Grab your balls, pick yourself up and get on with it.

It can take millions of no, but you only need one yes. This is the test, in some ways. Being qualified isn't everything, it's how you deal with rejection that makes you a stronger candidate. Just keep it up, keep pushing and eventually you'll get something. Like I said, you can get a million nos and one yes can change your life.
Reply 7
I was all geared up to give some advice on relationships but errr....grad schemes hmm..
I didn't bother with them when I graduated and just went onto work in my local area for a company with some career oppertunities and expanded my cv as the years went by.
Reply 8
I know nothing about grad schemes but I know that being rejected for jobs is a pain in the arse.

I was looking for a job for 3 years before I got this one so I'll just advise you not to stop looking.
Reply 9
why not try being initiative and start a business!
Academics become irrelevant once you get the interview. Thus your interview skills need to improve. Try having a mock interview with a tutor, the career service or someone you know and record it. Ask them for feedback and analyse yourself too.

I know a lot of people in IB seem to think they are automatically entitled to a grad place based on their academic abilities and previous experiences, and so come across as over confident in interviews. The first rule of any interview is to come across as humble. Often people don't realise that phrases or manerisms which seem completely normal to them can be perceived to be very arrogant, especially in an interview situation.
Reply 11
I'm trying to make out how hot you are, looks like an 7 or a possible 8 from here. Hmm. Unless you used that awkward face position, dark lighting and high saturation to to try and trick me, which you have. From this conclusion i am going for a safe 5...anyways, maybe you should try and look for something less prestigious. Don't get too picky.
Reply 12
Original post by Vision360
I'm trying to make out how hot you are, looks like an 7 or a possible 8 from here. Hmm. Unless you used that awkward face position, dark lighting and high saturation to to try and trick me, which you have. From this conclusion i am going for a safe 5...anyways, maybe you should try and look for something less prestigious. Don't get too picky.

come on, I'm at LEAST a 7...hahaha! How on earth is that relevant?

as far as the other questions go...I have applied to lots of IB and now some general management programmes and a couple of marketing, and I am getting through to various stages with each. I don't mind rejection after interview, especially as it feels like you've learnt something/got some experience, but to not get through the first round is frustrating! you want an opportunity to show them what you're capable of, not just getting rejected straight off. And it seems arbitrary because its almost random which you get through and which you don't. Aaaand I hate psychometric tests!!
It sounds like you are applying to all the most competitive schemes...
Reply 14
Original post by Billy_Van_Barzini
Academics become irrelevant once you get the interview. Thus your interview skills need to improve. Try having a mock interview with a tutor, the career service or someone you know and record it. Ask them for feedback and analyse yourself too.

I know a lot of people in IB seem to think they are automatically entitled to a grad place based on their academic abilities and previous experiences, and so come across as over confident in interviews. The first rule of any interview is to come across as humble. Often people don't realise that phrases or manerisms which seem completely normal to them can be perceived to be very arrogant, especially in an interview situation.

Is this meant to be a subtle hint? haha.

Also, OP, just out of interest. What are you studying at Oxford?
Reply 15
Oh poor me I have to go to Oxford and have great A Levels but I can't get a job like the rest of country

:rolleyes:
Original post by FkatF

I knew that applying for grad schemes would be like a lottery, but I thought if I applied for a good few I'd have a chance with some of them! I feel like I've wasted so much of this vital term in my final year at university, the forms take ages and have really affected my academic work.

Is anyone else on here feeling like this? What can I do?

what are you studying?
Well, it is a tough market even for those of us who are of the more average ability, i.e. not fortunate enough to have went to an elite university.
You must always have what the EMPLOYER wants in mind...what you want comes last. You can have the most perfect academic record, but for whatever reason they may feel you aren't the right 'fit' for them.
So, failing the second stage or whatever, might be because they look for specific personality types: e.g. they might want a leader, or someone assertive or a powerful decision-maker etc. It is hard to fool these sort of tests, so try again in the future or maybe see it as not being the right role and try something else.
Don't be disheartened by it, keep ploughing on.
I read a startling statistic that the top 10 graduate employers will only give job offers to 8 in 1,000 - that's significantly below 1%.
Remember as well that about 80% of people are looking for work in 20% of the market - which may mean you have to be more creative: i.e. identify a problem and apply speculatively.
The downturn may be a blessing in disguise if it enables us to become more creative in surviving such difficult times.
Reply 18
Grad schemes are overrated imo and as others have said, they are ridiculously competitive to get on in the current job market. If you are only applying for graduate schemes then you are really limiting your options.

Also a majority of jobs are not advertised at all. Some of them go internally but the hidden job market is a really important part of your job search. I'm sure you've already been told this but think about what connections you have and get networking and sending speculative applications. Being at Oxford you have a definite networking advantage and you never know where it might lead you.

That's not to say don't apply for grad schemes, for IB it's a common route, but don't be disheartened by rejection. You've picked probably the most competitive thing you could have thought of and at the moment there are thousands of unemployed graduates in the same boat. But perhaps think about other options, and also don't worry too much about not having your future sorted before you finish uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending