The Student Room Group

Gap year, feeling lonely.

I'm starting to feel very lonely on my gap year. Though my gap year was unplanned (missed my firm, clearing was a nightmare), i'm starting to regret not choosing to go to university. My tactic was to take a year out, re-sit some modules, get into a better university, travel and do some things i'm passionate about. With the lack of friends I have around me at this particular moment in time (most are at university), I feel very lonely and it's quite depressing. All I ever seem to do is jam on the net and watch TV.

Do/Did other gappers feel like this?

Right now i'm in NY but I hardly get to see the city; my cousin is at college and my uncle is always at work so i'm always by myself. I thought travelling will do me some good, but it's only making me more lonely.

I hope this soon changes
Original post by T-Toe
I'm starting to feel very lonely on my gap year. Though my gap year was unplanned (missed my firm, clearing was a nightmare), i'm starting to regret not choosing to go to university. My tactic was to take a year out, re-sit some modules, get into a better university, travel and do some things i'm passionate about. With the lack of friends I have around me at this particular moment in time (most are at university), I feel very lonely and it's quite depressing. All I ever seem to do is jam on the net and watch TV.

Right now i'm in NY but I hardly get to see the city; my cousin is at college and my uncle is always at work so i'm always by myself. I thought travelling will do me some good, but it's only making me more lonely.

I hope this soon changes

Yeah I feel sortof the same, but I've got four retakes in Jan which I'm concentrating on so have that keeping me busy. Then after Jan will be travelling, joining a boxing gym and learning to drive aswell as revise for some summer modules! Also its xmas soon so all my uni friends are back so will spend time with then, I suggest you do the same.

Not much I can help you with, just try get a new hobby!
Reply 2
Original post by HumanNature1992
Yeah I feel sortof the same, but I've got four retakes in Jan which I'm concentrating on so have that keeping me busy. Then after Jan will be travelling, joining a boxing gym and learning to drive aswell as revise for some summer modules! Also its xmas soon so all my uni friends are back so will spend time with then, I suggest you do the same.

Not much I can help you with, just try get a new hobby!

Umm..

May I ask why you're up this late?
Original post by T-Toe
Umm..

May I ask why you're up this late?

Because I'm ill and woke up to get my meds
Reply 4
Original post by HumanNature1992
Because I'm ill and woke up to get my meds

Your medication isn't on TSR :curious:

Go to bed TSR addict :tongue:
Original post by T-Toe
Your medication isn't on TSR :curious:

Go to bed TSR addict :tongue:

Lol cant blame me for stopping by :redface:

What you complaining about I contributed to your thread :colonhash:
Reply 6
why don't you stay at a hostel?

being lonely is the exact reason WHY i went travelling.. i've been staying at hostels on my gap year in Australia and i've met hundreds of people from all different backgrounds of life. plus hostels are cheap. there must be dozens of cheap hostels in NYC!
Reply 7
I'm really worried that I'll feel lonely and bored if I take a gap year because I'm the sort of person who likes to keep busy. So if I don't get into one of my favourite universities I will get a job, study french, paint, exercise and contact my friends every day. And I'll probably spend a lot of time preparing for the new admissions cycle.

You should skype/chat/email with your friends as much as you can and make sure you get out of the house every day. Sitting alone doing nothing makes people depressed.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by T-Toe

I hope this soon changes

i've just returned from a round the world trip. I went alone and i agree, it can be lonely at times but u need to go to hostels. That's where you meet people. If you're just staying at your cousins place, that's the first problem. As for NYC, it was the worst place i went to out of all my travels. Even Tjiuana, mexico was better and friendlier than NYC. I'd recommend going to chicago, san fran or san diego. Those places are awesome and i really enjoyed those places when i was there the summer gone.

if u want more tips or wanna hear more stuff about what i did, give me a shout:smile:

Chin up, enjoy life!

P.S. don't wish u had gone to uni! I regret not having taken a year out to go traveling before uni! Enjoy traveling:smile:.
Reply 9
I got a bit lonely so I ended up going travelling. http://www.greentortoise.com/adventure.travel.html I started alone but immediately met some new friends on the trip and ended up staying at the same hostel as them. We travelled together a bit after that and I had a brilliant time - no more loneliness!!

I agree that NYC was absolutely dreary and wouldn't recommend for anyone to STAY there. See what you want to see and then get the heck out. Is that what you want your Gap year to be about anyway? Go out and have the time of your life - it's so worth it!!
Reply 10
My gap year was planned but like you most of my friends are at uni although I still have a few people and visit unis quite a lot. My best advice would be to get out of the US. I love the US but if you are under 21 nightlife is hard especially for a foreigner making it more difficult to meet people. In fact I am already saving up money to road trip around the US when I am 21.

If you are bored and seem to waste your time my best advice would be to find a job, save up money and go to South America/ Africa (like me)/ Asia hostelling it around and I would put my life that you will meet 100s of people, some will become friends for life. I would not recommend any private company but rather do it yourself. This would reduce the time on your hands, you will meet people at work and give yourself something to look forward to.
I can answer any questions especially about Africa but travelling as a whole if you want.

Quick Reply

Latest