The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year ?

I am an international dependant currently living in the UK. I completed my CBSE 12th in India .
I wished to study medicine but i cannot afford it and as I’m new here , the government won’t give me student financial loan or support as well. Now i feel to study Pharmacy which is a little less expensive . My parents think we cannot afford that as well at the moment. They want me to take a gap year and save money to start uni next year. All my friends will start their university in few weeks. I feel lonely already. Should i give up on medicine ? Is pharmacy a well paid job ? I applied to Kingston uni but they only offered a foundation degree in pharmacy. Is that degree worth it ?As we don’t have the money I didn’t accept the offer. Do i prepare for ucat ? I just want to study but things look bad for me right now. Can any of you suggest me what to do ? I will really appreciate it.
Original post by Ana_mahajan
I am an international dependant currently living in the UK. I completed my CBSE 12th in India .
I wished to study medicine but i cannot afford it and as I’m new here , the government won’t give me student financial loan or support as well. Now i feel to study Pharmacy which is a little less expensive . My parents think we cannot afford that as well at the moment. They want me to take a gap year and save money to start uni next year. All my friends will start their university in few weeks. I feel lonely already. Should i give up on medicine ? Is pharmacy a well paid job ? I applied to Kingston uni but they only offered a foundation degree in pharmacy. Is that degree worth it ?As we don’t have the money I didn’t accept the offer. Do i prepare for ucat ? I just want to study but things look bad for me right now. Can any of you suggest me what to do ? I will really appreciate it.

@Ana_mahajan

It's difficult when your friends are all talking about university and you feel like you can't join in, but remember that lots of people take gap years and that everyone's career journey is different.

Without other funding options e.g. a scholarship or university support then you might need to postpone uni for this year.

This does not mean that you are giving up on medicine or pharmacy, it just means starting uni with less worries about how you are going to meet all your financial needs. (It's better to postpone uni by a year than starting and being unable to continue!)

The gap year could also be a great opportunity to find out more different universities and their programmes for pharmacy or medicine.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 2
How long are you family likely to stay in the UK? Is there a time in the future when you could pay UK fees and get student finance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending