The Student Room Group

Why do I feel sad and lonely?

Its the last day of year 13 and I am having mixed emotions about it. I have never really had any close friends. A lot of people would talk to me around school ,but they would never consider me their good friend or I feel like they wont keep in touch with me when school is finished. With all the people I know, I feel like I am the person that always intiates plans to meet up and hangout. It makes me think that perhaps no one really cares abt me and that people only talk to me bc i am helpful. Now that I am going to take a gap year, I feel like i am going to end up all alone and friendless
Yeah I feel that at uni too. I have many acquaintances but don't think any of them would want to be proper friends. I think the gap year and moving on to uni/work would be a good fresh start though, there won't be the pressure of 'everyone's friends with each other already'. Especially with the gap year if you travel and stuff those will be people you probably won't get out of your way to meet again, you might as well try your best to make connections.
Reply 2
its your mindset , you shouldnt feel so dependent and wrapped in friendships where you don't even realize yourself , detach yourself from friendships and see how much people approach you :smile: its okay to be alone , would you rather be in a room of fancy people that you know dislike you or in your own space ?
Reply 3
Original post by blkgrI
its your mindset , you shouldnt feel so dependent and wrapped in friendships where you don't even realize yourself , detach yourself from friendships and see how much people approach you :smile: its okay to be alone , would you rather be in a room of fancy people that you know dislike you or in your own space ?

Yeah thats true and maybe I am just seeking random people to help me feel less alone. Perhaps it is better at times to practice being alone
Reply 4
Original post by username21991
Yeah I feel that at uni too. I have many acquaintances but don't think any of them would want to be proper friends. I think the gap year and moving on to uni/work would be a good fresh start though, there won't be the pressure of 'everyone's friends with each other already'. Especially with the gap year if you travel and stuff those will be people you probably won't get out of your way to meet again, you might as well try your best to make connections.

Yeah I have heard Uni can be quite hard to make friends and that many people struggle with being alone. I hope your are okay tho :smile:
uni will be better, you'll have much more options. There's always one person in a year group who just doesn't really find their people. You've been stuck with the same 100 people for several years. Uni will be much better, and you'll all have done similar a levels, be on the same course, live nearby, etc. Plus they'll be more mature ( hopefully.)
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I have heard Uni can be quite hard to make friends and that many people struggle with being alone. I hope your are okay tho :smile:

uni can be hard. Join as many societies as possible, it's the best way to go about things. Literally cram your schedule full. Then just drop the ones you don't enjoy or don't make friends in. It's how I made my friends at college, me and another girl literally failed to do a rollie pollie and we both bonded over our shared incompetence.
Reply 7
Original post by CatInTheCorner
uni will be better, you'll have much more options. There's always one person in a year group who just doesn't really find their people. You've been stuck with the same 100 people for several years. Uni will be much better, and you'll all have done similar a levels, be on the same course, live nearby, etc. Plus they'll be more mature ( hopefully.)

I was never popular in school, but I still found it much better than university. I can't wait for it to be over. I doubt working will be any better but at least I'll get paid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending